Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue. I'm using a Radeon 6870 with the latest drivers and every 15-20 mins my computer's screen goes dark with the music hanging for a few seconds then about 1 minute later my PC will boot back up. It's incredibly annoying to the point where the game is unplayable. Playing for 20 minutes, then waiting 5 minutes for my PC to boot back and for the game to load becomes very tedious, very fast.

OK, I found a HUUUUUUGE bug. When I tried to go into Whiterun after slaying the first dragon, I heard my card's fan kick up to high gear, drop down to almost unhearable and repeat that for a few seconds. Then my PC crashed (as per usual) and I went to reboot the system. And now it hangs and stops responding during simple low-graphic-intensive tasks like opening documents. Using my laptop to post this since my system is pretty well buggered.

BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT F**K WITH YOUR SYSTEM AND KEEP TRYING. I MAY HAVE JUST RUINED MY GPU UNDERCLOCKING AND PLAYING SKYRIM! WAIT FOR THE PATCH!

Posting here to also confirm numerous problems which have steadily got worse over time. Although I've yet to have anything as severe as what some have experienced I've also been getting something not many have mentioned (auto save corruption)

I really hope they pick up the ball on this. It's unacceptable for something this big to be missed to begin with.

your gpu is probably fine, set all back to defaults, roll back drivers etc.

as an experiment, (i have an old x1950 pro 256mb) I set my fan throttle points to hit 100% at 50*C. I have been playing on medium settings with all anti analysing turned off (game and CCC) including FXAA for 3 hours cpu temp: steady 31*C mb temp: steady 26*C

gpu temp: 60*C - 63*C

all CCC settings either off or app defined, A.I off

now, this doesn't look amazing, but it is playable and with you lot having big chunky hd range you should be able to play on higher settings but with the AAoff etc.

(no idea about nvidia cards srry)

For anyone who hasn't yet, please go here, and post your DirectX Diagnostics (inside spoiler tags, please). Be sure to mention the "Black Screen Crash", and link back to this thread. Hopefully Bethesda will make our plight a priority for the upcoming patch.

I don't get black screen crash, mine just crashes to desktop. I'm doing everything suggested online but it's still crashing. I've changed my sound and codex settings but it's become unplayable and not fun at all. Every minute it seems to be crashing. Really frustrating. :(

For anyone who hasn't yet, please go here, and post your DirectX Diagnostics (inside spoiler tags, please). Be sure to mention the "Black Screen Crash", and link back to this thread. Hopefully Bethesda will make our plight a priority for the upcoming patch.

I don't get black screen crash, mine just crashes to desktop. I'm doing everything suggested online but it's still crashing. I've changed my sound and codex settings but it's become unplayable and not fun at all. Every minute it seems to be crashing. Really frustrating. :(

It is frustrating but the problem we are experiencing is _hardware failure_ caused by this particular game. It's a lot more serious !!

Guys there's no fix yet. Honestly I've played for hours on end too thinking I finally found the graphical tweak I needed to do to make it work. Then it just crashes again and again.

It. Is. Simply. The. Game.

I hate it and it pains me tremendously to not play this, as I have been waiting for it for quite some time and all I want to do in my spare time is play it. I however aren't going to kill my computer because of it.

Edited by Zolexus