Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also have the black screen of death anybody have any word of this so called patch for pc because all i see and hear is that betheda is working on the xbox version and ps3 version and there is nothing on whether or not they are working or even acknowledge that their pc version is totally screwed...

I have had the black screen crashes where the video card stops responding while immediately ramping up its fan to 100% before the sound starts looping in a few seconds.

I'm on the Catalyst 11.10 drivers with a HD4890.

However oddly enough, It would seem i only get these crashes at certain locations, specifically indoor caves with snow floors, which occur randomly when i am in those areas. I have not had the crashes anywhere else, and the game would play fine for hours in other areas. I haven't played enough yet to rule out this being a coincidence but it seems to be the case. I don't suppose anyone else has similar issues?

As u guessed - same problem here. I ve got NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+.

But Im pretty sure this crashes are somehow connetced to the place where they occur. Only have those crashes when Im outside.

But this kind of "no signal" crash has happened in lot other games, some of them were pretty old and couldnt possibly overheat my card.

Got the same problem in the begining of Gothic 2. When im inside the first tower - everythings fine. I go outside, see a little bit of the sky and crash! dead....

Some other games crashed too like this. Psyhonauts i remember crashed very often. Has to replay that game on an old computer.

League of Legends crashed. Not often but enough to be annoing. They must ve fixed that with patches cause it doesnt do that anymore. That or maybe cause i started playing in window mode.

And everytime its the same black screen and hard resetting.

But the most "funny" thing happened in Total War series. In Empire I couldnt zoom in on the ships in sea battles. No crashes in the game, but if u try to look at the ship more closly - BLAM! Black screen, same symptoms. I still can do sea battles, just from up high... And then i get myself Shogun 2. Love the series - what can i do. XD And what do u think? I still cant look at the ships closely!!! This just blows my mind! In two games... well yeah they probably used the same engine... but why the hell cant I look at the ships? Maybe i love ships!!! Why cant i see people running around them and dying in open sea... Nevermind.

So what could be a problem? why such set conditions for a crash to happen....

Hope they soon patch it..started playing in windowed mode (1680x1050 instead of 1900x1200 fullscreen) to watch my gpu temp...well it never raises above 61°C..and still crashes..so no temp issue..

I cant seem to reproduce the error..its random for me..I just fought the first dragon from the top of the watchtower and it crashed, tried again from the same position and nothing happened..went back to Whiterun, opened the map and bam crashed again..frustrating..

Ok just wanted to pitch in here with a different method you might want to try in order to fix this game.

I have tried all mentioned methods and disabling V-sync, and no AA in the graphics control panel seemed to have sorted the random crashing to the desktop. Anyway my biggest issue was with trying to go into a particular area that would lock the game up. Im not talking a cave or inside anywhere I mean just randomly walking in the wilderness, it was like the game just couldn't stream the next part and so would freeze the game.

Overall this game has some serious errors when used on a PC. I had updated everything and made sure the game 'should work', I came to the conclusion this is something wrong on the game's programming end! But then I remembered the issues with installing this game on the xbox onto the HDD? Couldn't stream the HD texture's properly... so this got me thinking is this an issue with the HDD and it communicating the data to the game?

So I have gamebooster installed and I hit the 'analyze' button. This scanned my computer and came back telling me that I had a HDD / Bad block .... I think there were more than ten!

So I ran the cmd >>>> chkdsk /R

You can find out what this does here : CHKDSK

Essentially it scans your hard disks and fixes errors.

This can take more than an hour and it is highly recommended you make a back up of your hard drive before you do this!

I restarted and the process of scanning and fixing began and to my amazement near the end of the process it came up and said the following:

'windows replaced bad clusters //skyrim/data/sk237~1.BSA'

'windows replaced bad clusters //slyrim/data/sk44DE~1.BSA'

Long and short of the story it fixed my game :thumbsup:

I have played around 4 hours now and passed through this 'invisible' lock up area's without a hitch!

Anyway I hope this help's some of you out there!!

If this could be of use to people please spread the word!

Ste.

SYSTEM SPECS:

windows 7

phenom x6 2.8ghz

8gb DDR3

GTX 460 1GB

Edited by swlloyd3

Nvidia GTX460, windows 7- 64, 4g Ram

Let me start by saying it's unfortunate that anyone has to experience any of the issues mentioned after waiting to play this game for as long as we have. I hope a fix for this problem is released sooner rather than later. I will try and keep this brief.

My brother (highpressure) and I have the game and we give each other feedback on things that we notice to include bugs/glitches etc. Well, he first mentioned to me that his game CTD the day after release but I had not experienced a CTD at that point. Well later that evening, it seemed that it started occurring (about two to three hours into gameplay...not the short intervals u guys r experiencing). So of course, after the first couple of crashes, I was saving frequently. So yesterday I took a nap and woke up to play, and I noticed that my power (in my home) had shut off and come back on (clocks were flashing). I then noticed that my interenet was out. So I called Comcast to verify that there was a technical issue with the service after I tried resetting my connection. Well, there was so I was going to be without the net for about 3 to 4 hours. While u may say "what's ur point"...here it is. Since I was without the net, of course steam could not connect so I had to play the game in offline mode. Since then, I have played in two different intervals...from around 12:30p to 6:00p absolutely no crashes. I ate dinner, took a nap and played from 8:30p til around 12-12:30a, no crashes. So needless to say, I won't be playing the game in online mode again.

While I do understand that this game has issues, this may not be a fix for the majority. I have not made any of the aforementioned changes to my video card or system etc. I play the game on ultra high settings and the game runs smoothly with the exception of the occasional hitch where it seems like my character gets hung up by an invisible wire or something. The majority of you know more about PC's than I do, so making changes as indepth as some of you have, I just won't do. I will wait on a patch if this problem becomes an issue for me. No one should have to go through that much just to make the game playable!

Cudos to you guys and ladies that go to the extent that you do to try and solve issues before the developer actually does. My hat off to you and thank you!