Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been testing the console versions as well as a pirate copy from Razor1911.

The Xbox360 version didn't load the textures properly and can only load the low-res textures, even on 1080p. It also caused 2 crashes, after a 1 hour and a 2 1/2 hours playthrough, wich gave a single light on the Red Ring.

The PS3 version crashed 4 times, all releaved the Red Dot, indicating a hardware failure. No other problems

The pirate copy was unpatched with the day 1 patch, same problems, not difference aside from an unresponsive mouse and keybaord problem.

The legitimate copy for PC suffered no different either.

I think it's safe to say the game is at fault and not the PC or the drivers. A patch is nessessary as soon as posible. I think that it's a newly developed engine, which is what's causing instability.

Sorry if I'm wrong about this and also if I use some bad English, I'm Japanese.

For the record, I ran chkdsk before installing the game, and got a clean bill of health. Also, I did previously try playing offline to no avail.

I have underclocked, overclocked, enabled 4GB of RAM, ran windowed mode, ran on minimum settings with all effects diabled, uninstalled catalyst, rolled back display drivers multiple iterations, upgraded to beta drivers, uninstalled my discrete sound card, reduced audio quality, removed power-saving features, offered three generations of my eventual progeny as blood sacrifices to an elder demon... nothing works. I await the 1.2 update, and if it's not fixed after that, I will be very sad.

Getting the black screen crash as well. Tried all the usual things and all the things suggested so far, nothing fixes it. The crash itself doesn't occur at fixed intervals and I can go hours on high settings or minutes on the very lowest settings with the lowest resolution before it crashes. No other program causes this issue for me.

System is using win 7 (windows version shouldn't have anything to do with this,) AMD Phenom 9650 quad core 2.3GHz, radeon hd 6870, onboard sound with realtek drivers. The card is not overheating and according to the amd vision catalyst software the usage is not spiking to 99/100% just before it crashes.

Hey Guys,

I appear to be having the same problem as you all exept that my entire computer doent crash just the game

I am also running Windows 64-bit and I have a ATi Radeon 4800 Series Graphics Card

Then you don't have the same issue as what is being discussed in this thread at all. This isn't a CTD.

Hey there guys, got 2 fixes here:

btw currently I only tested it on Windows 7 64 bit

1. Go to Documents/My Games/Skyrim and edit the "SkyrimPrefs.ini" and look for the following line:

"bGamepadEnable=1"

Change the 1 into 0, save and done.

2. Open up Control Panel and go to "Sound"

On the "playback" tag right click on the currently used device (the one with the green tick next to it) and go to "Properties"

Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

Default should be 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)

Change that to: 24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)

Save and exit - run Skyrim and enjoy. :]

Just in case lower AA and AF to around 2-4x sampling.

Hope this helps! Post up if this helped ya! ^_^