On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know reading this lot i just had another brain fart , the nexus has just updated its permissions tagging system to allow uploaders to specifiy if their IP can be used on cashgrab oops i mean bethnet all bethnet needs to do is have a little net bot take a snap shot like a mugshot of that file toddle over to nexus and compare that image against permitted files like a mugging victim going through a book of mugshots at the cop shop ,its just zeros and ones after all , hell maybe even provide access to a fenced off server containing just mugshots of permitted files .

hell what do i know maybe the nexus is already working on this ... please tell me you guys got an idea already .

In response to post #39610370.

dobmc wrote: With all this "set-up" you would think Bethesda is planning to bring paid mods to consoles.

Haha I'm just joking guys. Of course even Bethesda isn't desperate to sink that low.

Wait a minute.

A side note:

I think that's not something morally sunken, or only comes from the desperate which cannot be accepted from the society. Hines made valid points about paid mod in his interviews. While some may disagree, or claim it is from greed, it still stands as a valid option. The question might be how much it will be a benefit and who benefits from it? Plus, if they don't do that in excellency, better not start from the beginning; that might be the thing everyone agrees.

In response to post #39610190. #39610305 is also a reply to the same post.

aquilegia wrote: It seems to me the right solution here is to integrate nexus with bethesda.net asap.

In other words: make it easier to completely mirror mods from nexus to bethesda. And that means: keep the mod title intact. Keep the original author intact. Keep the copyright permissions intact. Make it easy to push description updates from nexus to bethesda. Ideally, include some kind of reference to the Nexus entry so that future NMM versions can recognize when a bethesda.net mod is a version of a nexus mod?

If mods can be copied over with the touch of a button, that replaces the "need" for misattribution that is so objectionable here.
midtek wrote: bethesda.net simply won't want that. Why do you think they started hosting all of a sudden?

ooh i dunno about intergrate more like interface unless of course bethesda want to hand over management of bethnet to the nexus in exchange for a handsome paycheck that might even be better more money for the nexus means more staff to handle the additional task all files get checked the pilfering stops mod authors and are once again happy little bunnies the console timmys get a fair service we get a better nexus the nexus grows in size and thus revenue ,win win i say.

In response to post #39610190. #39610305, #39611605 are all replies on the same post.

aquilegia wrote: It seems to me the right solution here is to integrate nexus with bethesda.net asap.

In other words: make it easier to completely mirror mods from nexus to bethesda. And that means: keep the mod title intact. Keep the original author intact. Keep the copyright permissions intact. Make it easy to push description updates from nexus to bethesda. Ideally, include some kind of reference to the Nexus entry so that future NMM versions can recognize when a bethesda.net mod is a version of a nexus mod?

If mods can be copied over with the touch of a button, that replaces the "need" for misattribution that is so objectionable here.
midtek wrote: bethesda.net simply won't want that. Why do you think they started hosting all of a sudden?
Yehudi wrote: ooh i dunno about intergrate more like interface unless of course bethesda want to hand over management of bethnet to the nexus in exchange for a handsome paycheck that might even be better more money for the nexus means more staff to handle the additional task all files get checked the pilfering stops mod authors and are once again happy little bunnies the console timmys get a fair service we get a better nexus the nexus grows in size and thus revenue ,win win i say.

lmao no, I honestly like nexus to stay independent

In response to post #39585685. #39589650, #39606755 are all replies on the same post.

boomerizer wrote:

I'm almost afraid to post anything, less the torches and pitchforks come back.

The only thing that can happen to console mods:

1) Scrapped entirely. But if this happens, it won't just be console mods, it'll be mods for Bethesda games entirely. Mods merely augment the experience. They aren't essential to it.

2) Paid mods. Highly unlikely, actually. Console users already have to pay a subscription service on top of internet service, and on top of buying the game and often, the DLC for it. Paid mods will definitely make mod thieving exponentially worse. ((EDIT: I'd also like to point out that this paid mods bullshit is currently baseless. Sure, it may have happened with Steam Workshop in this manner, but it is highly unlike they will attempt it again on another platform just because they did it on the first platform. There is nothing confirming that this is where Bethesda is going with it, and I refuse to follow that fire of mindless dribble and fear. If you have proof that Todd Howard [or any Bethesda spokesperson] has said that they plan on making mods paid, then you have an argument to stand on-- if not, well...stop talking about it? Because it is wasted effort.))

3) Things will continue going as they are going. May slow down for a bit, due to the growing pains, but all in all, the world will carry on.

kevindad1 wrote: 4. Bethesda will try to find a solution without doing any of these. Sure it'll take time, but it's better than any of these other decisions.
Tantalus010 wrote: It's not pure conjecture nor is it paranoia. Here you go.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-talks-skyrims-paid-mods-controversy/1100-6428952/

That was from last year.

In response to post #39589525. #39589815, #39590450, #39601020, #39602615 are all replies on the same post.

kevindad1 wrote: Pretty much everything has the "release now, fix later" treatment. That's not to say that what you're saying is wrong though.
kevindad1 wrote: And why are people talking about paid mods? Bethesda knows that that failed. Do you really think that they'll attempt that again? How would they make it work anyway.
phantompally76 wrote: The same way EA gets away with charging full price for half a Star Wars: Battlefront and then ransoming the other half as DLC behind a paywall.

Because average gamer$ will purchase them without questioning the legality, morality or stupidity of the software companies.

Paid mods already exist. Some of you just don't realize it yet.
kevindad1 wrote: Who said that EA got away with that? Better yet, what does your reply have anything to do with what I said? (Minus the last part, that is obviously not true)
phantompally76 wrote: They're still getting away with it. And they're going to get away with it again when they release the Battlefront sequel. And they won't change their business model, because they don't have to.

But if you don't want me to bring EA into it, fine. Bethesda didn't fail at paid mods. To the contrary, they've already succeeded. You just haven't stopped to realize it yet.

Most of us here paid for a mod disguised as DLC from Bethesda nearly 4 years ago, a derivative work based (heavily) off a free mod. Some in this community STILL refuse to purchase it (much to the chagrin of almost every mod author on the Nexus), leaving a very small minority of gamers with the ability to stand upon any sort of tangible moral high ground on this matter, but most of us own it (even if we got it on sale or in a bundle). Most of us own and use a paid mod uploaded by Bethesda based off someone else's work. Why this never came up during #modgate (and perhaps it did, but if so it was buried amongst the blatant hypocrisy and ASCII genitalia) is a little staggering.

So don't pretend to act like this is new territory. Bethesda has already charged the majority of us for a mod....the ultimate copyright-infringing paid mod.... and the majority of us willingly shelled out the cash because they called it DLC. Bethesda got away with it, and they will get away with it again.

And before the white knights retort "But that was totally different....", no. No different.

Just inconvenient.

1. How is EA "still" getting away with it? It's more common to see people pissed at EA than at Bethesda.
2. Now I understand what you're saying about "paid mods". And now that I do know, I realize that what you said is just nonsense. You would rather use a (possibly) buggy mod that may mess up your game and/or give you crashes than the official less buggy (notice how I said less buggy) thing? Plus, it's only 5 bucks, you shouldn't really expect much.

In response to post #39597035. #39600400, #39600625 are all replies on the same post.

Aragingmonk wrote: "And now, after 14 years of looking after yourself, and doing extremely well, your father has suddenly come back. You’re left with a lot of questions; why did they leave in the first place? Why are they back now? What are their motives? "

Towards the bottom of the article the motives were addressed, PAID MODS!

That is the only reason Bethesda is getting involved and it is B.S.. They do not care about this community and that is obvious. We ask (beg) for TES6 and they give us (rather, console users) a remaster of a game we have worn out several times over. They keep adding to ESO when that P.O.S. will never truly be an Elder Scrolls.

"We have two new big games in the works! No it is not TES6, why would we do that?" Yes, I have a love hate relationship with Bethesda. They are like that girl that you are really attracted to but know you will regret it in the morning. lol
kevindad1 wrote: Oh please. We waited 7 years for Fallout 4. You can wait more for ES6.
Liquidacid23 wrote: Of course we aren't getting TES6 anytime soon. Do you know how many thousands upon thousands of man hours it takes to program enough bugs and glitches to produce a modern TES game? :P

"Do you know how many thousands upon thousands of man hours it takes to program enough bugs and glitches to produce a modern TES game?" Yeah, cause Bethesda is the only company in the world that made games with bugs in them. (I know you're joking, but I'm tired of seeing people make jokes similar to these)

I'd make a couple of comments/predictions after looking into my crystal ball.

1) TES 6 will be out October 2017.

2) The incompetence shown by Bethesda covered in great detail and making perfect sesnse - I'm pretty sure I understood all 5100 of them - is entirely typical - not just of Bethesda, but off most bearaucracies who internally are far too busy with covering their own individual backsides and producing fancy meaninless charts, pie charts, charts of pies and of couse doing powerpoint presentations on how Bethesda.net would mean a fortune in extra revenue from sales of the vanilla game and eventually the complete domination of the world and the inevitable arrival of Archelaus to save Tom Cruise and perhaps unknowingly the new Emperor of Planet Earth - Todd Howard - than they are in actually doing anything - like say perhaps - providing a proper ifrastructure to their new console based modding facility.

It's just not every day they cross the modding communities path - in fact the less they do - I feel the happier the community will be - I am suggesting a direct cause/effect of exposure to these entities and the mental health of the team behind the site, the modders behind the team and the users behind you all.

Whilst there is little I can say here that actually helps - you may not have wanted to write the article, but I'm glad you did - I knew I'd heard of mod thefts and little bits and piecies but I didn't have a clue what the fuss was actually about - your no frills, educated post has clarified this for me perfectly and now I can follow what happens from a position of understanding rather than like the village idiot.

So, thanks for much for that.

I do however reserve the right to return to village idiot role with no notice given!

JaYmZeE