On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

hopfully mod authors will just add SKSE or something similar to prevent people from simply copy+paste to bethesda.net, As mentioned, nothing wrong with mods on consoles, its neat for people that dont want to mess with PC mods (we all know the struggle :D) but if they are hurting the PC modding community something should be done. Bethesda really should treat Nexus much better and as a whole the PC modding community, gez I just bought Morrowind AGAIN to play some mods on it, so that goes to show how long PC mods keep there games alive and well( and future purchases), and if it wasnt for nexus Im not sure what we would of done alot of the other sites are gone now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember it's the PC modders who are doing the stealing. You would need a PC with the creation kit to be able to download mods and re-upload them on beth.net. Leave console players out of this.

In response to post #39610370. #39611030, #39622600 are all replies on the same post.

dobmc wrote: With all this "set-up" you would think Bethesda is planning to bring paid mods to consoles.

Haha I'm just joking guys. Of course even Bethesda isn't desperate to sink that low.

Wait a minute.
midtek wrote: A side note:

I think that's not something morally sunken, or only comes from the desperate which cannot be accepted from the society. Hines made valid points about paid mod in his interviews. While some may disagree, or claim it is from greed, it still stands as a valid option. The question might be how much it will be a benefit and who benefits from it? Plus, if they don't do that in excellency, better not start from the beginning; that might be the thing everyone agrees.
dobmc wrote: Either way I don't think anyone is willing to let the modding community change, especially not when a company like Bethesda comes back after 14 years of hiatus and suddenly decides to be a boss of what's good for the community.

yeah, I agree. It feels awkward when they just show up claiming that they have been through all these years with you, wanting to share 'the fruit of collaboration' with you when at the same time mods are getting stolen to the net. It's not like an evil company. They could try to build better relationship.

In response to post #39625375.

lm2f wrote: You have to remember it's the PC modders who are doing the stealing. You would need a PC with the creation kit to be able to download mods and re-upload them on beth.net. Leave console players out of this.

Guys I have PC. That automatically makes me a PC modder.

ayy lmao Edited by dobmc

In response to post #39610190. #39610305, #39611605, #39612570, #39615290 are all replies on the same post.

aquilegia wrote: It seems to me the right solution here is to integrate nexus with bethesda.net asap.

In other words: make it easier to completely mirror mods from nexus to bethesda. And that means: keep the mod title intact. Keep the original author intact. Keep the copyright permissions intact. Make it easy to push description updates from nexus to bethesda. Ideally, include some kind of reference to the Nexus entry so that future NMM versions can recognize when a bethesda.net mod is a version of a nexus mod?

If mods can be copied over with the touch of a button, that replaces the "need" for misattribution that is so objectionable here.
midtek wrote: bethesda.net simply won't want that. Why do you think they started hosting all of a sudden?
Yehudi wrote: ooh i dunno about intergrate more like interface unless of course bethesda want to hand over management of bethnet to the nexus in exchange for a handsome paycheck that might even be better more money for the nexus means more staff to handle the additional task all files get checked the pilfering stops mod authors and are once again happy little bunnies the console timmys get a fair service we get a better nexus the nexus grows in size and thus revenue ,win win i say.
RamonXick wrote: lmao no, I honestly like nexus to stay independent
JaYmZeE311074 wrote: That is a terryfying possibility that I had niavely not considered until reading this - THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THIS - TO QUOTE CYPHER IN THE MATRIX, "IGNORANCE IS BLISS!" - I'll not be able to sleep until the inevetable takeover comes and then I'll cry as CHAOS errupts and the first missles are fired.

DOOMED! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!.

This balanced post was brought to you by JaYmZeE - who really thinks head and shoulders is great for your dandruff even though he's bald himself. Or is he?

MUHAHAHAHAHAH

EDIT: Quick thought on this - assuming your going to sell up cause of the obscene amount of money offered and have to sign some sort of non-competition clause, I would immediately like to hire the entire nexus team to run my Taxi/Private Hire Car sites new wing which will cater to something really clever in legalese that does/doesn't mean hosting mods for games I like to play - I need a lawyer!

you mis understand me im not suggesting bethesda buys the nexus not at all...im suggesting bethesda hands control ( not ownership ) of bethnet to the nexus team who clearly have the experience and know how when it comes to running a mod site and bethesda pays to nexus to manage it , now if you bear in mind that with the nexus running the bethnet site any attempt to take a file from pc nexus which the pirate then tries to upload to xbone side wont happen it cant happen the nexus staff will be playing game keeper on both sides , and of course the nexus wont want to do it for free bethesda can pay for that service it will save them from themselves so to speak , everyones a winner.

at no point did i say the nexus should sell to bethesda there is a difference between hearing and listening d,know what i mean.

whilst you ( generic you , him her etc) may not like the idea for whatever reason it is a logical step that has the potential to benefit everyone involved maybe i shouldnt of bothered posting here given the fact that all you lot seem to wanna do is b&@*$ and fight about what you do and dont want , you seem oblivious to one simple fact both bethesda and the nexus are businesses and are run as such .

( and create a phone app for your taxi customers )

In response to post #39610190. #39610305, #39611605, #39612570, #39615290, #39628270 are all replies on the same post.

aquilegia wrote: It seems to me the right solution here is to integrate nexus with bethesda.net asap.

In other words: make it easier to completely mirror mods from nexus to bethesda. And that means: keep the mod title intact. Keep the original author intact. Keep the copyright permissions intact. Make it easy to push description updates from nexus to bethesda. Ideally, include some kind of reference to the Nexus entry so that future NMM versions can recognize when a bethesda.net mod is a version of a nexus mod?

If mods can be copied over with the touch of a button, that replaces the "need" for misattribution that is so objectionable here.
midtek wrote: bethesda.net simply won't want that. Why do you think they started hosting all of a sudden?
Yehudi wrote: ooh i dunno about intergrate more like interface unless of course bethesda want to hand over management of bethnet to the nexus in exchange for a handsome paycheck that might even be better more money for the nexus means more staff to handle the additional task all files get checked the pilfering stops mod authors and are once again happy little bunnies the console timmys get a fair service we get a better nexus the nexus grows in size and thus revenue ,win win i say.
RamonXick wrote: lmao no, I honestly like nexus to stay independent
JaYmZeE311074 wrote: That is a terryfying possibility that I had niavely not considered until reading this - THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THIS - TO QUOTE CYPHER IN THE MATRIX, "IGNORANCE IS BLISS!" - I'll not be able to sleep until the inevetable takeover comes and then I'll cry as CHAOS errupts and the first missles are fired.

DOOMED! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!.

This balanced post was brought to you by JaYmZeE - who really thinks head and shoulders is great for your dandruff even though he's bald himself. Or is he?

MUHAHAHAHAHAH

EDIT: Quick thought on this - assuming your going to sell up cause of the obscene amount of money offered and have to sign some sort of non-competition clause, I would immediately like to hire the entire nexus team to run my Taxi/Private Hire Car sites new wing which will cater to something really clever in legalese that does/doesn't mean hosting mods for games I like to play - I need a lawyer!
Yehudi wrote: you mis understand me im not suggesting bethesda buys the nexus not at all...im suggesting bethesda hands control ( not ownership ) of bethnet to the nexus team who clearly have the experience and know how when it comes to running a mod site and bethesda pays to nexus to manage it , now if you bear in mind that with the nexus running the bethnet site any attempt to take a file from pc nexus which the pirate then tries to upload to xbone side wont happen it cant happen the nexus staff will be playing game keeper on both sides , and of course the nexus wont want to do it for free bethesda can pay for that service it will save them from themselves so to speak , everyones a winner.

at no point did i say the nexus should sell to bethesda there is a difference between hearing and listening d,know what i mean.

whilst you ( generic you , him her etc) may not like the idea for whatever reason it is a logical step that has the potential to benefit everyone involved maybe i shouldnt of bothered posting here given the fact that all you lot seem to wanna do is b&@*$ and fight about what you do and dont want , you seem oblivious to one simple fact both bethesda and the nexus are businesses and are run as such .

( and create a phone app for your taxi customers )

As much as this modding community may want that to happen.....no one else in the gaming world does.

In response to post #39625375. #39626800 is also a reply to the same post.

lm2f wrote: You have to remember it's the PC modders who are doing the stealing. You would need a PC with the creation kit to be able to download mods and re-upload them on beth.net. Leave console players out of this.
dobmc wrote: Guys I have PC. That automatically makes me a PC modder.

ayy lmao

If you create a mod on the PC, it most certainly does.

In response to post #39610370. #39611030, #39622600, #39625550 are all replies on the same post.

dobmc wrote: With all this "set-up" you would think Bethesda is planning to bring paid mods to consoles.

Haha I'm just joking guys. Of course even Bethesda isn't desperate to sink that low.

Wait a minute.
midtek wrote: A side note:

I think that's not something morally sunken, or only comes from the desperate which cannot be accepted from the society. Hines made valid points about paid mod in his interviews. While some may disagree, or claim it is from greed, it still stands as a valid option. The question might be how much it will be a benefit and who benefits from it? Plus, if they don't do that in excellency, better not start from the beginning; that might be the thing everyone agrees.
dobmc wrote: Either way I don't think anyone is willing to let the modding community change, especially not when a company like Bethesda comes back after 14 years of hiatus and suddenly decides to be a boss of what's good for the community.
midtek wrote: yeah, I agree. It feels awkward when they just show up claiming that they have been through all these years with you, wanting to share 'the fruit of collaboration' with you when at the same time mods are getting stolen to the net. It's not like an evil company. They could try to build better relationship.

i think the question alot of us have, especially those like me who don't remember the era of skyrim paid mods, is: why did Bethesda take down that paid mod option and did they give a coherent reason for such that we know they've at least got a chance of remembering what the problem was and hopefully that means they've got a solution in mind (unless, of course, whoever took down the site was fired and the new guys have no clue)

In response to post #39625375. #39626800, #39629355 are all replies on the same post.

dobmc wrote: Guys I have PC. That automatically makes me a PC modder.

ayy lmao
phantompally76 wrote: If you create a mod on the PC, it most certainly does.

lol. who said anyting about creating a mod? you mean to say stealing is creating? lol