Perhaps Fo4's problem lies in its inbalance of gameplay elements

athiust

I am sure that there are many of you which have pondered a question for a while now. For me the question regarding fallout 4 has been, why is the gameplay to me even with mods at this point, so stagnant? I have gotten to thinking and i have sort have realized after some new vegas today that, perhaps the fallout 4 simply does not have enough quest content.

When people discuss the possibility of mods fixing fallout 4's problems, i think that the first order of business is identifying what fallout 4s main problems are at this point. To me the gunplay and combat seems fine, but lack of quest content is more then any other bethesda game i have ever played, so lack luster.

What i would like to know is whether any of you nexus mod users and authors here think there are certain elements of fallout 4 aside of quest content and perhaps the dialogue system that needs fixing. What is your current stance on the game?

HOW FALLOUT 4 FAILS BY THE RABBIT, ESQ.

When I play the Fallout or Elder Scroll series of games by Bethesda I enjoy the exploration and the tactical combat with the world's denizens. I have done very little in the way of modding only resorting to it when there was something special that I wanted. I've managed to avoid most all of the quests so that I could just enjoy the fun of playing the game.

But in Fallout 4 you have to build. Building and (ugh!!) maintenance is primary to this game. It's hard to get out of it without sacrificing 90% of the game. There is no realistic way to bypass it. Also quests. Quests are demanded of you whether you want to take them or not. It is so infuriating to be deeply involved in an adventure only to get a message that a settlement is under attack and you must leave now. It's nice to have access to them when you want to do them, but you are not given a choice. I have not finished any of the major quests as I have been so busy handling the piddling ones. Most of the released DLC's are also geared at building.

All in all, Fallout 4 is not the sort of game that I enjoy playing. There is far too much work and not enough fun. And what with Bethesda's apparent piratical practices and anti-modder attitude this just might be my last Bethesda game. I just don't know yet. And I have always considered myself a big Bethesda fan.

C'est la vie.

The Rabbit

The game is a cross between "Bob the Builder" and "SimCity", but with guns....

I've got a field equipment mod I've been working on that lets you carry deployable turrets you can deploy anywhere, its guna require a bit more of the buildy skills so gives a better cross play and new play style entirely for the player.

The gameplay is fine by me, however I find Fallout 4's greatest weakness to be the skill system rather than Preston Garvey and settlements. You see, rather than previous games like 3 and Vegas where the player maximized their favorite weapon-related skill as they saw fit, FO-4 instead allows you to midmax all of your weapon-related perks very easily at low levels. This is quite a problem since it almost completely destroys replayability and reduces the longevity of the game. Maybe the devs at Bethesda knew this hence the existence radiant quests which aim to extend the time spent playing the game, Also a bigger wasteland with more content and enemies that require more tactical thinking to beat would have balanced this issue.

Fallout's biggest problem for me is the overabundance of settlement building, and the nonstop maintenance of them. I'd be far, far, far happier with less available settlement and building options, if it meant the remaining ones had more meat to them.

Basically, I find it to be far too tedious and more of a chore to build and maintain three dozen one and two man settlements. No real reason why these should even be in game like that, they could just as easily had been used as background filler.Perhaps you could have a few small quests here and there that would aid in your reputation among them.

And then there's. the never ending quests you get from people like Preston Garvey. Jeez, I can't even talk to the guy about anything without being given three more quests from him...usually dealing with "Help me, my wife/husband/son/daughter got kidnapped for the 50th time, please help me!!!" I got your help, I'll shoot you all in the head and put you out of my misery, how's that for help Mr Abernathy?.

I believe the word you are thinking of is IMBALLANCE.

I believe the word you believe he's thinking of is IMBALANCE.

For me its:

- the lack of evil options

- never-ending radiant quests

- 3/4 factions are hardliners that offer you their extremist way with no alternatives

- bethesda's apathy towards the mod-theft infestation

- speech options have you guessing what your character will actually say

- your character has an origin story that too strongly defines who you are/can become

- still bugthesda

First, there is the bland combatants. Raiders, Gunners, Rust Devils and Trappers have identical tactics, and strategies. And past a certain level, the same weapons and armor. These four groups are distinct without distinction.

Second, combatants are limited to specific areas. In 3 and NV, it I encountered a combatant I could lead them from one end of the map to the other, as long as I let them see me. By this method, you could lead a death claw into the middle of a raider camp and watch the blood fly. In 4, if you travel too far from a static point in an area, combatants will break off pursuit and return home.

Third, combatants are limited to specific areas. In 3 there were roving bands of Raiders, scorpions, Super mutants, Death Claws and others. You never knew when you might literally bump into a fight. In 4, you know exactly where combatants are living. You can engage or not, but there is never any surprises

Fourth, the implementation of some of the weapons it ridiculous. A .50 caliber rifle is sudden death. The concussion of the bullet can kill if it passes within inches of some body parts. If it hits the body, the impact is always catastrophic. It kills. But a Raider/Gunner/Rust Devil/Trapper can take three .50 caliber bullets to the head and keep fighting. Then there is the issue of range. In RW, the range of a .308 is 800 M and a .50 caliber is 1500 M. In 4, they are identical. (I use the .308/.50 example because these are both variations of the same weapon. But there are other such weapon disparities.)

Fifth, you are limited on the effect of the SPECIAL attributes. One Example. In 3 (Micheal Masters) and NV (Great Khan Armor), there was always a vendor who had he best prices. If your Charisma was 10, these vendors would fair trade (cost=value=price). In 4, there is no such vendor. In fact, if your Charisma exceeds the 10 value max, the prices start going back up. I have noted similar drop-offs in Agility, Strength and Endurance when their value exceeds 10.

Sixth, there are no dastardly deeds. Most of the moral choices range from do-gooder to goodie-two-shoes. There is no real conscious stretching choices. Quick example.

Just before you leave to push the button and destroy the institute, a young Shaun-synth pleads with you to take him with you. Even if you decide to leave him to die, He somehow shows up back at the Railroad Headquarters/Prydwen/Sanctuary Hills.

A moral choice with no consequence.

Seventh, the Perk system is backwards. In order to get a perk that is desirable, you must first take a perk that is undesirable. Example. In order to get the perk which allows fast-travel when over-encumbered, you must take a perk that allows you to run when over-encumbered. This perk drains you AP every time you do more that W, and it drains it exceedingly quickly.

If I had to rank these issues in order of importance to me. I would put the weapons first, followed by the combatants and the special/perks issue. If a game is to be truly immersive, these things have to be right.

Edited by RattleAndGrind