Where would you want the next Elder Scrolls game to take place at?

antonkr

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like it to take place?

• High Rock
    • More Skyrim!
    • Morrowind after the eruption of Red Mountain (Fallout+Elder scrolls combo)
    • Hammerfell
    • More Cyrodiil
    • Summerset Isles
    • Valenwood
    • Elesyweyr
    • Black Marsh
    • other (Akavirr, a different realm outside of Nirn, etc)

I think the technology has advanced to the point (and will continue to advance by the development of the next game) that there's no reason for the next Elder Scrolls game to be restricted to a single province. It should involve travel between all the different nations, with each nation having its own map and a world map would be used to travel between them. I know the devs could do it; it's just a matter of how much work they're willing to invest.

I think the most logical places would either be the Summerset Isles or Valenwood because of the whole Thalmor mess. Truth be told though, I'd rather they just found a way to stitch an updated Morrowind and Oblivion together with Skyrim into one massive game without turning it into another crappy MMO.

I think the technology has advanced to the point (and will continue to advance by the development of the next game) that there's no reason for the next Elder Scrolls game to be restricted to a single province.

and i think you have no idea what you're talking about. The engine streams the world around you. it can already handle an infinitely vast map, because it only keeps nearby things in memory, and distant stuff is lowpoly models.

The reason we have one province at a time is nothing to do with technology. It's Quality over Quantity. The elder scrolls series is already offering pretty much the most densely detailed map out of any game in existence. It would be easy to make a game set across all of tamriel, but it would take millions of man hours writing, designing npcs and dungeons, quests etc, recording voice acting, creating enemies, etc. to fill it all. By focusing on a province at a time, we get a single, coherent experience that the design team can focus on. doing it all at once would become a big unfocused mess, and if it ever got released at all, it'd be a tiny fraction as "full of stuff" as skyrim or oblivion are, and the game would have to cost $300 to make back the investment in the sheer amount of content.

Now, on topic. I vote valenwood. because i found a book in skyrim that mentions valenwood - that the wood elves make their settlements in the bougts of "giant, migratory trees". Yes that's right, WALKING CITIES.

Every game has to have some big "thing" to spice it up. to be the big selling point and make it more than just a world. Oblivion had the gates opening randomly, and the sky turning to hell. Skyrim has the semi-unscripted dragons appearing everywhere and attacking things. Elder Scrolls VI: Valenwood would have walking cities. Imagine extending that idea to walking fortresses, where you'd need a grappling hook and a horse to get a foothold and start climbing the trunk. Think Shadow of the Colossus style.

It's the best idea by far, mark my words.

^Actually so far the dragons annoy the heck out of me, it seems to be a delaying factor while I'm trying to explore. The glacier cliffs and ices is the major thing with Skyrim imo, absolutely beautiful.

Since I'm a fan of Morrowind, I like to see even stranger places, like Black Marsh or some off continent places. But Valenwood or Elsweyr would be interesting too. I doubt they'll make any of the three mentioned and stick to conventionals which appeals and easier to identify to the mass gamers.

Edited by tmx

Summerset Isles or the Black Marsh for me.

With a slight preference for the Isles because the landscape could be more diverse and Elves are more appealing to me than Argonians re background story.

Although I love Skyrim and the rough northern climate and terrain, a next one should be in a warm and green setting. Marshes have a great ambiance but I think the Black Marsh would be too much. Constantly wading through swamps and water gets on your nerve. At least it did for me in Point Lookout. I wouldn't mind some wetlands on the Isles. And lots of ancient ruins. :turned:

I think the technology has advanced to the point (and will continue to advance by the development of the next game) that there's no reason for the next Elder Scrolls game to be restricted to a single province.

and i think you have no idea what you're talking about. The engine streams the world around you. it can already handle an infinitely vast map, because it only keeps nearby things in memory, and distant stuff is lowpoly models.

No need to get sensitive about it; I was just offering my opinion in response to the OP.

As far as the technology goes, it would be quite possible. As you've stated, only nearby things are kept in memory; the whole world wouldn't be constantly in the memory. Think of it like traveling from Cyrodiil to the Shivering Isles in Oblivion. Is the entirety of the Shivering Isles constantly stored in the memory while you're walking around in Anvil?

But I admit that it'll never happen because I agree with you that it would be a heck of a lot of work that they'll never put into a single game... ever. (Heck, the releases of both RAGE and SKYRIM needed update patches the day of their release.) Also, it wouldn't be good business sense; you can't make money off four more games if you put all their content in a single release.

I was just typing an idea in a gaming forum, that's all.

Altmer aren't all pricks, just an unfortunate minority are. Not all of them are Mankar Camerons or Mannimarcos. Chancellor Ocato turned out to be a relatively standup guy who kept things under control more or less

until the Thalmor assassinated his butt. :wallbash:

Edited by justwannaddl