Nvidia Contest Joke

GeneralLuBu

Ummm... yes it is, if the author gives blanket permission providing credit is given.

That may be true in most other situations regarding mods, but it definitely is not the case for the NVIDIA contest. The rules explicitly state that you must get written permission before using third-party assets in your contest entry. Edited by Reneer

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Â

There was no rule saying that you couldn't use assets other people made - only that if you did, then you had to have permission and/or give proper credit.

Â

That's not how it works.

Ummm... yes it is, if the author gives blanket permission providing credit is given.

Not when the contest rules specifically stated you needed written permission from the contributors. It's a legal thing to protect nVidia though, not each other.

Â

There was no rule saying that you couldn't use assets other people made - only that if you did, then you had to have permission and/or give proper credit.

Â

That's not how it works.

The creative commons non-commercial licence isn't blanket permission to sell, re-license, or or enter models into a contest for money. And just because someone else used one in a mod, and gave permission to use their assets, they can't give permission on the assets that weren't theirs in the first place. You guys (the team) could have honorably bowed out but w/e more popcorn for us as the authors of all those models get contacted.

**snip**

Not when the contest rules specifically stated you needed written permission from the contributors. It's a legal thing to protect nVidia though, not each other.

By entering the Contest, Entrants represent and warrant that they have obtained all of the rights, licenses, and permissions in writing from any person who may have helped create the Entry

Just to be clear, I don't feel I deserved to win over mods where people did everything I did plus making custom land expansions, voiced npc's and more. But I'm not shy about saying that it does clearly say no team mods, and assets where you don't have written permission or can't obtain that for assets used. it's not much of a competition between mods if it's using 95% + assets that any user could just buy and put in game themselves.

After this whole fiasco, I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia just cancelled the whole thing which they still have the right to do

But if I got monetary compensation for using someone's non-commercial work, I'd save it for a lawyer

So what exactly is your point here? Huh? You didn't win so you are going to come and crap all over the people that did win, cause this achieves what exactly?

What exactly are you expecting here? You think the maker of the winning mod is going give in under your attacks and turn around and go...'oh yes you are so right, you should have won. I withdraw from the contest'. Come on. If there was a problem with the winning mod Nvidia is the only one with any authority to do anything, so why are you here ranting at the winning mod.

Go b'ch to Nvidia!

While we are at it your mod actually breaks a rule of the contest....Last updated 'July 10th'. You were NOT allowed to update your mod after submitting it. Your mod should actually have been disqualified, but it seems that Nvidia didn't follow their own rules. You have no leg to stand on here throwing stones at other people.

Look I get that you are p'od, a hell of a lot of people are about the whole contest. But targeting those that did win is just coming across as sour grapes. At least you won something, that is more then the rest of us did!

Just to be clear, I don't feel I deserved to win over mods where people did everything I did plus making custom land expansions, voiced npc's and more. But I'm not shy about saying that it does clearly say no team mods, and assets where you don't have written permission or can't obtain that for assets used. it's not much of a competition between mods if it's using 95% + assets that any user could just buy and put in game themselves.

After this whole fiasco, I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia just cancelled the whole thing which they still have the right to do

But if I got monetary compensation for using someone's non-commercial work, I'd save it for a lawyer

So what exactly is your point here? Huh? You didn't win so you are going to come and crap all over the people that did win, cause this achieves what exactly?

What exactly are you expecting here? You think the maker of the winning mod is going to turn around and go...'oh yes you are so right, you should have won. I withdraw from the contest'. Come on. If there was a problem with the winning mod Nvidia is the only one with any authority to do anything, so why are you here ranting over the winning mod.

Go b'ch to Nvidia!

While we are at it your mod actually breaks a rule of the contest....Last updated 'July 10th'. You were NOT allowed to update your mod after submitting it. Your mod should actually have been disqualified, but it seems that Nvidia didn't follow their own rules. You have no leg to stand on here throwing stones at other people.

Look I get that you are p'od, a hell of a lot of people are about the whole contest. But targeting those that did win is just coming across as sour grapes. At least you won something, that is more then the rest of us did.

The only thing updated at the 10th was the description, so keep trying...

And you have which dog in the fight exactly?

I don't understand why you're so defensive about MF which was the most egregious breaking of the contest terms, and banned from here for awesome ethical behavior, while so pounced to attack everyone else.

I expect nothing, but it's hard to let obviously false statements stand without reality being checked.

Edited by Cancerous1

The only thing updated at the 10th was the description, so keep trying...

Explain that to Nvidia and everyone else who can see 'Last Update July 10th'

I have no particular mod that I am invested in in this contest.

My point is that the disgusting behavior of those that lost is really reeking right now, especially those that lost but still won a friggin prize. You didn't win, I didn't win. Targeting the mods that did win is just bad sportsmanship. If you have a problem with rules being broken, TELL the company that actually held the competition. The vast majority of mods up as finalists broke rules, people cannot point at one mod and accuse it of cheating and breaking rules when so many other mods did.

Nvidia is at fault here, they neglected to enforce their own rules and they chose the finalists, not individual modders.

да закрывайте уже тему. нвидиа обосрались. грац победителям.

Agreed.

Just curious, has Nvidia already released something concerning the winners? Last I checked on the mod contest page the votes were disabled, but there was no list yet of the winners or anything.

No official word yet. All the talk about "winners/losers" (if you'd bother to read the T&C, everyone on that page won SOMETHING, so technically there are no losers) is based on the last known vote counts.