⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Nvidia Contest Joke

GeneralLuBu

**snip**

Not when the contest rules specifically stated you needed written permission from the contributors. It's a legal thing to protect nVidia though, not each other.

By entering the Contest, Entrants represent and warrant that they have obtained all of the rights, licenses, and permissions in writing from any person who may have helped create the Entry

Yep, that's exactly what I just said.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why you're so defensive about MF which was the most egregious breaking of the contest terms, and banned from here for awesome ethical behavior, while so pounced to attack everyone else.

I expect nothing, but it's hard to let obviously false statements stand without reality being checked.

Facts are such a bother aren't so let's check some.

MF is not banned from this site. It can return at anytime. The author has chosen not to come back here because of attitudes like yours. When the author was informed that some of the assets he was told he had permission to use were in fact rips the mod was pulled. The author also pulled the mod from beth.net at the same time by choice. The assets were removed and a quest was undertaken to verify in writing permissions for all remaining assets. The Nexus site staff was very polite and helpful in this process but after the mod was reupload to Beth and the authors inbox overflowed with requests, questions, comments, etc. there seemed no point in dealing with all the uninformed prejudice here.

Edited by glissaman

Just curious, has Nvidia already released something concerning the winners? Last I checked on the mod contest page the votes were disabled, but there was no list yet of the winners or anything.

No official word yet. All the talk about "winners/losers" (if you'd bother to read the T&C, everyone on that page won SOMETHING, so technically there are no losers) is based on the last known vote counts.

Whoa, buddy, I think you know what I mean by 'winners'. I know everyone won something, I never called the others losers, did I?

Just curious, has Nvidia already released something concerning the winners? Last I checked on the mod contest page the votes were disabled, but there was no list yet of the winners or anything.

No official word yet. All the talk about "winners/losers" (if you'd bother to read the T&C, everyone on that page won SOMETHING, so technically there are no losers) is based on the last known vote counts.

Whoa, buddy, I think you know what I mean by 'winners'. I know everyone won something, I never called the others losers, did I?

That wasn't directed at you, sorry. That was to anyone on that page that feels they got shafted.

I don't understand why you're so defensive about MF which was the most egregious breaking of the contest terms, and banned from here for awesome ethical behavior, while so pounced to attack everyone else.

I expect nothing, but it's hard to let obviously false statements stand without reality being checked.

Facts are such a bother aren't so let's check some.

MF is not banned from this site. It can return at anytime. The author has chosen not to come back here because of attitudes like yours. When the author was informed that some of the assets he was told he had permission to use were in fact rips the mod was pulled. The author also pulled the mod from beth.net at the same time by choice. The assets were removed and a quest was undertaken to verify in writing permissions for all remaining assets. The Nexus site staff was very polite and helpful in this process but after the mod was reupload to Beth and the authors inbox overflowed with requests, questions, comments, etc. there seemed no point in dealing with all the uninformed prejudice here.

The author? you mean the people that made all those assets or the team of people it took to download them? I decided to try my hand at importing a free model and it took about an hour to set up the materials and the weapon nodes, export the nif and make an esp. So if you really want more mods taking other peoples work and uploading it like it's a mod someone 'made', just gimme a holler, the license on those allows for pretty much anyone to do that. But that is informative, I'm wrong that it was banned, thank you.

Edited by Cancerous1

While we are at it your mod actually breaks a rule of the contest....Last updated 'July 10th'. You were NOT allowed to update your mod after submitting it. Your mod should actually have been disqualified, but it seems that Nvidia didn't follow their own rules. You have no leg to stand on here throwing stones at other people.

Actually there was confusing info regarding that rule, as evidenced by Elianora here when she communicated with Matt Grandstaff (GStaff), the Bethesda Softworks Community Manager.

Edited by Reneer

Actually there was confusing info regarding that rule, as evidenced by Elianora here when she communicated with Matt Grandstaff (GStaff), the Bethesda Softworks Community Manager.

Wow I wish I had known that. I, like many others, specifically didn't update my mod because the rules clearly state...

Entrants may not modify, add content to, edit and make any other modifications to their Entry has been submitted.

So by the rules yes any mod updated after submission should have been disqualified. Yet another example of Nvidia not bothering to follow their own clearly stated rules, Gstaff would have checked it with Nvidia. Really when you look at it everyone who entered was shafted. In the end the rules plain didn't matter.

In the end it was a case of 'all's fair in love and war', Nvidia themselves were the first to break their own rules and they were the ones who tossed the rules out the window on revealing the finalists. Kudos to the winning mod for winning the war then.

Problem is that money's involved. That changes the non-commercial licenses significantly.

For one, I know that a fair few of GameBanana's authors are more or less AWOL (i.e. you can't exactly ask permission from them): however, they do state on the side of the page that you may use it for ports or whatnot non-commercially. Like this: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/. This is by far the most common license used.

It's up to the lawyers to determine if a competition with a possibility of rewards (monetary or otherwise) can still satisfy non-commercial uses or not. IMO, it's as definite no, but I'm a bit biased in this matter, obviously :)

Guys I think you are all overlooking something.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL ENTRANTS: If a winner cannot be contacted or fails to claim the prize or to return the Required Winner Documents within the specified time period, or if the prize is returned as undeliverable, or if a winner fails to comply with any of the provisions of these Official Rules, such winner will be considered to have forfeited the prize. In such case, the prize will be awarded to the individual who submitted the next best entry as previously determined by NVIDIA.

I think Nvidia is waiting until the voting is over to check who broke the rules and will then throw out the rule breakers.

Hilarious to watch the Bethesda/Nvidia haters going into an epic hate spiral.

Edited by lelcat