Boycott Beth.net

Mitigate

I'm still only able to see the bad it's caused. Splitting the community before, luring authors away to the Workshop. And now, the threat of authors going beth.net exclusive when paid mods come back. And the stealing of mods causing authors to hide their work.

What good though? Mods for consoles? Irrelevant to PC gamers.

It is my opinion that the Special Edition was only released to re-create the Skyrim modding community, Bethesda's way, rather than try and tackle the pre-existing one again. They want paid mods, it's a certainty. It started with paid mods and it'll end with them. And SKYRIM has a tonne already made, waiting to be turned into gold. Their intentions were made clear last time they tried interfering. And while there's nothing wrong with authors getting paid for their work, there is an issue with mods becoming exclusive to beth.net

Edited by Mitigate

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NV on GoG? Now that's a thing I want.

Why? Because DRM sucks? Then why support beth.net? Another potential source of restriction.

Because GoG has a lot of good offers and there will be better prices. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ethreon

This is still relevant too, just cut out Valve's involvement. Makes one also wonder... Should people have to pay for bugfixing mods? Note my views on Arthmoor's contributions, but is it actually okay that Bethesda gets away with releasing broken garbage because people like Arthmoor will just fix it for them? AND then Bethesda will get paid for this bugfixing mod that shouldn't even NEED to exist in the first place!

Edited by Mitigate

NV on GoG? Now that's a thing I want.

Why? Because DRM sucks? Then why support beth.net? Another potential source of restriction.

Because GoG has a lot of good offers and there will be better prices.

Oh, right, that money stuff again. Always comes back to that... :rolleyes:

You know you can already get New Vegas for like 15 bucks right? That's chump change.

Edited by Mitigate

Also, all these bethesda.aids, beth.cancer, BugthesDerp.Nutshot, comments really make this community come off as a bunch of adolescents.

And all these posts taking the words of a few and saying the whole community uses them are generalising without a base.

Is that fair? No. But it absolutely happens. Outsiders judge entire communities based on their worst offenders, and if modders want a seat at the table to discuss the future of modding it would help to not put the people flinging their own feces at Bethesda front and center.

Nothing bethesda.net is offering is superior in any way to the Nexus. I don't understand this madness.

Who says it has to be? It's just different. And different can be good. It allows for a wider audience and user experiences better related to what players are looking for.

Selling out is opting for profit rather than keeping the soul together. In this case, the community.

At this point I suppose donating means nothing? Those who donate can get shafted? Thanks for the cash, sucker?

Donating to a mod author doesn't make you special in any way, shape, or form.

It makes you a person who chose to do the right thing.

That's your choice. Still entitles you to nothing, not even a thanks or a mention.

Neither does buying. I think the struggle between art and commerce is somewhat out of place here in that returning to cash mods doesn't seem to be an immediate consequence of Bethesda-hosted mods and seems more like something to rant and rave about with no clear reason other then 'change bad', but hey, I'll bite.

If I give you cash as either a donor or purchaser, you don't owe me s#*! in the way of thanks. You don't owe me a mention, you don't owe me a second damn thought. And if I don't like what I paid for under either circumstance, you can tell me to go screw myself and have a nice day. Let's not for a moment pretend that a purchaser is more important than a donor, the only difference is you can rely on purchases to be a more consistent revenue stream. There is NO obligation for you to care at all about me once I've bought your mod.

I don't mean to say players don't matter, but that there is no greater obligation to care about them if they buy versus if they donate.

What good though? Mods for consoles? Irrelevant to PC gamers.

I feel like this is probably more at the heart of the intense vitriol some people are feeling than a rocky implementation or fears of the community eating itself alive like with the whole Valve headache. I think this is about PC gamers being angry that they lose one more way to feel superior to console gamers. There's some serious hate for console gamers among segments of the gaming community and that, in my estimation, feeds this rage at Bethesda and paranoia that they're going to take everything away from you. Because they already took away your ability to spit in the face of console gamers about how we among the PC Elite get mods and they don't.

They took away a stick you used to bully, and now you think they're going to burn the whole damn house down.

This is still relevant too, just cut out Valve's involvement. Makes one also wonder... Should people have to pay for bugfixing mods? Note my views on Arthmoor's contributions, but is it actually okay that Bethesda gets away with releasing broken garbage because people like Arthmoor will just fix it for them? AND then Bethesda will get paid for this bugfixing mod that shouldn't even NEED to exist in the first place!

What is broken garbage about Fallout 4? It is a bug free game for the most part.

All right. A boycott. An extreme but probably very efficient way to get Bethesda change what we want them to change in the way they deal (or rather don't deal) with mod authors and their work. For this to work you will need the majority of mod authors to follow suit in a very well organised, synchronised and thought out manner, only a few people removing their mods from beth.net will have no effect if the majority just leaves them up.

Well, first we have to find common ground, regardless of what we want in the future with moving to paid mods or not, regardless if we want to support consoles or not. So please, forget about these for a moment, and let's please focus on what unites us instead of arguing over the things that divide us.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming the vast majority of MA's is not happy about the current state of affairs at bethesda.net. The most relevant and common points of conflict are:

• the lack of moderation in the forums,
  • the nonexistence of it in the mod comments,
  • the ability to rate a mod you didn't even download,
  • the nvidia contest problems (I added this although most of us didn't even participate, but the amateurish vibe of the whole thing is appalling)
  • and of course last but not least the total lack of quickly and efficiently dealing with 'stolen" mods,

(feel free to add to this list, these are just the things on top of my mind)

Ok, now as you can see this is already a serious common ground of problems we want to see fixed, like yesterday, but unfortunately are not likely to be fixed anytime soon. Yes, I am aware Beth released a road map that is supposed to fix some of these things, but that was like one month ago and nothing changed. Sometimes Gstaff will pop up and type something that could come out of a standard letter you send to your customers to keep them patiently waiting.

Now, imho the only way to see this fixed in a timely manner is to effectively boycott (temporarily until we get the majority of our gripes resolved) beth.net and remove the mods from there to provoke an outcry from mod users that will undoubtly get Beth's attention. Imagine a dozen threads per hour with 'where are the mods?' and I can guarantee you action will be taken swiftly.

Again, as I said this would only work if the majority of MA's do this in a synchronized and organised manner, we'll have to agree on a timeline, on a person that would be spokesperson (and I'm not candidate thank you) that can communicate clearly and politely our problems to bethesda in a post or mail that would be made public before the boycott effectively starts, let's say we give them two weeks to resolve their errors and then the boycott would be effective.

Short of this kind of action, again I reiterate based on common ground, not on our differences in opinions regarding paid modding, consoles and whatnot, I am afraid nothing or barely next to nothing will change at all. This is just my idea and my feelings toward this whole situation that seems to divide, aggravate and generally degrade the atmosphere between MA's greatly, and we don't want that. Tell me what you think.

I am super excited about releasing my stuff for console gamers to play.

I know a lot of people are not going to like my work and my personal flavor of storytelling. I know a lot of people are going to complain and nitpick about the fact that I use voice actors to mimic some of the vanilla characters, including the player. I know a lot of people will say I don't have enough dialogue choices in my mod, and that I am just continuing everything they hate about Fallout 4.

But there will also be a lot of people who enjoy the stuff I make. And I hope that all of those people are given access to my work. I don't care if they are playing it on their Xbox or their PC. I don't care if they are downloading it from the Nexus or from Bethesda.net.

The simple fact is, Bethesda.net allows me to reach a bigger audience, so I am very grateful of Bethesda for that even with all the mistakes made along the way. Nobody said progress was easy.

All right. A boycott. An extreme but probably very efficient way to get Bethesda change what we want them to change in the way they deal (or rather don't deal) with mod authors and their work. For this to work you will need the majority of mod authors to follow suit in a very well organised, synchronised and thought out manner, only a few people removing their mods from beth.net will have no effect if the majority just leaves them up.

Well, first we have to find common ground, regardless of what we want in the future with moving to paid mods or not, regardless if we want to support consoles or not. So please, forget about these for a moment, and let's please focus on what unites us instead of arguing over the things that divide us.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming the vast majority of MA's is not happy about the current state of affairs at bethesda.net. The most relevant and common points of conflict are:

• the lack of moderation in the forums,
  • the nonexistence of it in the mod comments,
  • the ability to rate a mod you didn't even download,
  • the nvidia contest problems (I added this although most of us didn't even participate, but the amateurish vibe of the whole thing is appalling)
  • and of course last but not least the total lack of quickly and efficiently dealing with 'stolen" mods,

(feel free to add to this list, these are just the things on top of my mind)

Ok, now as you can see this is already a serious common ground of problems we want to see fixed, like yesterday, but unfortunately are not likely to be fixed anytime soon. Yes, I am aware Beth released a road map that is supposed to fix some of these things, but that was like one month ago and nothing changed. Sometimes Gstaff will pop up and type something that could come out of a standard letter you send to your customers to keep them patiently waiting.

Now, imho the only way to see this fixed in a timely manner is to effectively boycott (temporarily until we get the majority of our gripes resolved) beth.net and remove the mods from there to provoke an outcry from mod users that will undoubtly get Beth's attention. Imagine a dozen threads per hour with 'where are the mods?' and I can guarantee you action will be taken swiftly.

Again, as I said this would only work if the majority of MA's do this in a synchronized and organised manner, we'll have to agree on a timeline, on a person that would be spokesperson (and I'm not candidate thank you) that can communicate clearly and politely our problems to bethesda in a post or mail that would be made public before the boycott effectively starts, let's say we give them two weeks to resolve their errors and then the boycott would be effective.

Short of this kind of action, again I reiterate based on common ground, not on our differences in opinions regarding paid modding, consoles and whatnot, I am afraid nothing or barely next to nothing will change at all. This is just my idea and my feelings toward this whole situation that seems to divide, aggravate and generally degrade the atmosphere between MA's greatly, and we don't want that. Tell me what you think.

Forum moderation is the death of free spech.

mod comment moderation will be abused 99% of the time for removing unwanted comments, usually on simple hooks, like "he was a troll" "he was not constuctive".

Ability to rate without download is a tricky one. Downloading a mod is quick and easy and someone can still downvote it right after the download. Because there is no way to determine whether the user has played it enough. So I guess that is why Beth allowed rating without downloads. Also some mods can be judged by screenshots and videos alone.

About mod theft, I am sure Bethesda ran into issues setting up the system.

And I do not support a boycott. Ever. And don't you dare dissing console players. They are my largest crowd.

#notinmyname

Edited by lelcat