Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna be honest, I'm not digging it, but mainly because I find "perfect boxes of single flat color/no gradients" to be about the ugliest damn design choice anyone can make. It's the visual equivalent of plain toast.

Why no, I'm not a fan of Windows 10's UI, why do you ask?

In response to post #41268885. #41269455, #41269515, #41270195 are all replies on the same post.

EnaiSiaion wrote: Yay the site is usable on phones! <3
vault75 wrote: Why would you download a mod on a phone?
piotrmil wrote: Perhaps to monitor one's page, or respond to comments? Although god knows how can one do that on a non-existent keyboard.
MokChaoticran wrote: I typed up an essay for one of my courses on my phone man, it's more feasible than you'd think.

The site is usable on smartphones now, I used it during my holidays a week ago, made a post on Ordinator's pages and all. It just requires a LOT of zooming and messing around. And yes, typing can be painful, especially with autocorrect enabled on another language. X( Edited by Sacremas

Did you get any inspiration from Windows 8 Live Tiles Interface/UI? I ask because it looks very similar to Windows 8 "tablet" mode. It might be good though and I like the top six or so tiles/icons but it becomes too cluttered and crowded on the bottom. Perhaps you could opt for a Steam like UI with tiles on the top and normal panels on the bottom? Not sure really but the site could use some upgrading for sure. Can't wait to see how this plays out! :)

In response to post #41269530. #41270455 is also a reply to the same post.

JimmyRJump wrote: People are creatures of habit. Or, at least, I am one. Therefor, and although I love innovation, I don't always welcome change. Because it's annoying to having to adapt to uncharted territory from something that has become comfortably familiar.

On the other hand, you lot don't seem to be people who change stuff just to be hip or to go with the latest trends, so, I trust you and although not looking forward to it, I will embrace the new surroundings with open arms. First might have to move some clutter from the desks to my left and right, mind...

My only hope is that there will still be "new today" pages for the latest added mods, as those are the links I keep in my bookmarks for the games I've played/am playing.

Thanks for keeping us informed ;)
borjoyzee wrote: I said more or less the same thing about the last redesign. I've gotten used to this, but was never fully comfortable with it.

I quite like the look of the new design though.

I'm with the OP on this one. I guess time will tell. Keep up the good work guys!

I think most would want to see what individual mod pages are going to look like (answering the question in the video of what I'd like to see next).

I think the change looks pretty decent. I mean, I think the site looks pretty good now, but the new design looks good too. The Random button is probably the best thing so far for me personally.

If you're actually looking for suggestions, I would say make the search feature a filtering type of system that allows you to search in multiple categories as well as making it work that way when clicking random. What I mean by that is allow people to, for example, search something like "dress" and then instead of only being able to click Clothing or Armor, the user can "check box" clothing, armor, weapons and armor, and whatever other categories.

Lets say I wanted a random mod, but I know I know I don't want any followers or weapons. I should be able to do a check all and deselect the categories I want to filter out. I'm not a web designer or anything, but I'm an avid website user and I have no idea why every content heavy site doesn't do this. It makes looking for whatever you want much easier. Over the last 10 years, I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 sites have such a useful way of searching.

A search system like this would mean I could do a search in all the audio categories instead of just one. Or I could do a search for all of the audio categories except for one. What this could mean for the site is that you could add more specific categories for each game. For Fallout 4 you currently have: Crafting - Equipment

Crafting - Home/Settlement

Crafting - Other

With the search system I'm talking about, you could have a lot more subcategories like Crafting - Cooking, Crafting - Robots, and Crafting - Chems. Just as examples.

If there's already a search like this for the new designs though, sweet. If not. Ah well. Maybe in another 10 years sites will start to do it.