Fallout 4 modding already in decline?

charwo

most ppl dont play skyrim much and havent for years, so SSE will bring it up, and back for those that missed out on one of the most hyped after release games made. It would be like being able to play any of the three big MMOs in their hayday after the decades of hype on them. So it will get a big audience. Ontop of that it is an excuse to open skyrim modding to the consoles.

Actually they do, and have been, consistently for all 5 years. Skyrim still pulls higher numbers than Fallout 4 to this day if you go look it up on the Steam stats.

that said, Fallout 4 modding isn't going to die in the same way Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim haven't died. People will mod them all as long as they're still able to in whatever versions of them may exist at the time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely true that Skyrim is more popular than Fallout 4 and every single Elder Scrolls game has been more popular than its Fallout counterpart (Oblivion > Fallout 3:NV). I like Skyrim more too because it has a better setting. Let's face it, Skyrim's world has magic, which allows you to pretty much do anything and explain that away. For example, I can cast a spell that rains down thunder to kill my enemies. In Fallout, there's nothing like that and shouldn't be because it wouldn't make sense or fit in with the world. Plus melee fighting is so much more satisfying than shooting. Yes you can melee in Fallout, and I do, but it's still not based around that kind of combat.

If you look at these stats, you'll see the same trend for Skyrim mods. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/about/webstats/?startdate=1354316400&tspan=1year&datum=dl&gid=110

New Skyrim mods dropped from nearly 3k to 500 per month. The lows were actually near September 2013, less than 2 years after release! Skyrim modding died in 2013....NOT!

What's happening to Fallout 4 is the same thing that happened to Skyrim. Maybe we will see the great new land/new quest mods that we saw in Skyrim, maybe we won't, but modding for Fallout 4 definitely isn't dead. If anything, I think Fallout 4 has the greater modding potential overall, despite the lack of magic that allows anyone to justify anything. Fallout 4 has building and crafting which is incorporated into the core of the game. That gives another level of functionality that Skyrim never had. The maker of Tundra Defense, one of my favorite mods for Skyrim, said that he pushed the engine to its limits and probably more, which is why it was unstable at times. Settlement building and defending is now part of the game engine and that provides potential for great new things to come.

Personally I think Fallout 4 is the best Fallout game ever made. The game mechanics are the best and most fluid. That's what matters most. The main storyline can only be finished so many times before it's not interesting anymore. I've only finished Skyrim 2 times myself, and I have thousands of hours because it's not about the main quest or even the side quests. It's all about the game mechanics and mods that add quest after quest and new locations to explore. That's what matters.

fallout 4 is the "best" in a 70/40 kind of way, but fallout 3 is better than it in a 40/60 kind of way
if you were to play them once for the story and world, I'd almost suggest FO3, but the sheer difference in engine power lowers its ability
that said if you were to play FO4 and then FO3 or FO3 and then FO4, I suspect the first situation would make you rather impressed by the worldbuilding and frustrated by the clunkiness of the game, and the 2nd situatoin would make you rather impressed by the gameplay and disappointed in the story (execution and amount of the story at any rate the story itself is pretty good I think)

fallout 4 is the "best" in a 70/40 kind of way, but fallout 3 is better than it in a 40/60 kind of way

if you were to play them once for the story and world, I'd almost suggest FO3, but the sheer difference in engine power lowers its ability

that said if you were to play FO4 and then FO3 or FO3 and then FO4, I suspect the first situation would make you rather impressed by the worldbuilding and frustrated by the clunkiness of the game, and the 2nd situatoin would make you rather impressed by the gameplay and disappointed in the story (execution and amount of the story at any rate the story itself is pretty good I think)

Uh, most of 3 was bleak and brown wasteland with long stretches haven't nothing. It's also weaker in art design and world building when compared to the vibrant world of Fallout 4 and the chance to develop it yourself. Plus people don't seem to magically get food from nowhere in 4 like they did in 3. There are farms and more organized trade routes not to mention you can develop the world on your own to build thriving settlements.

The writing was also pretty better. No stupid Tenpenny situations, no stupid wasteland vampires that make no sense and no settlements that survive via the power of plot only. The factions are more fleshed out and there is no clear evil big bad faction and the only good guys are the minutemen which don't really pick up strength unless you build it.

Fallout 4 gives a world that feels realistic with factions that feel real, Fallout 3 gives poorly written, bland and bleak empty world with factions and settlements that exist solely on plot alone.

Hell, you can't even compare the city designs the same. D.C. was bland, bleak and grey ruined city whereas Boston is colorful yet still dusty and dirty and you can see overgrowth taking over buildings and power lines. The only personality D.C. had was through it's landmarks, Boston is filled with personality.

Edited by CiderMuffin

Yes good chunks of the wasteland was pretty empty but the one thing that I think really made FO3 interesting and a lot of fun was the tunnel systems. Wish FO4 had something remotely equal to that. The subways stations are ok but could have been so much better and extensive. They should have been more connected. How could all of the train tunnels be collapsed but the stations themselves still be intact? Especially with so much of the above ground area still standing. A good amount of DC was destroyed but the a lot of the tunnels were still functional....