Construction Set for Skyrim, where is it?

Hannibalektr

Vanilla skyrim is fine, don't know what your talking about.

If Vanilla Skyrim is "fine" what are you doing at a modding site?

I agree with the others, Vanilla Skyrim is hand-held nonsense unplayable without mods.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the others, Vanilla Skyrim is hand-held nonsense unplayable without mods.

Thats taking what others have said and blowing it way out of proportion. People have said, to varrying degrees, that vanilla skyrim is a dumbed down, simplistic, somewhat railroaded, graphically impaired and glitchy. No one has said its unplayable, or handheld nonsense.

Mods expand the experience and give the gaming community to many thousands of extra people who seek out and destroy bug. It's really something of an ingenious move on Bethesda's part that they can create a basic game, and the community its self will explore its true potential. This is opposed to the normal dynamic with games where the true potential of the game rests in the hands of the designers. While i personally ifnd all the content-porting and anime mod-love distasteful, no one can deny that at the end of its cycle Bethesda games are considerably better than their release, due to modding, and in many ways are superior to other games which come out throughout their lifetime.

Considering the game type and the open world, anyone who expects games like Skyrim to be any different, or more 'stable', are delusional. At least if they want a game more than once a decade. Skyrim has a lot of polish, but a lot of the glitches people experience are only going to turn up through volume. I've experienced a grand total of 1 quest glitch in 4 playthroughs, and everyone i personally know has had similar experiences. You need, often, thousands of playthroughs to identify all these glitches, which is impossible to do through conventional bug-testing. Still, Bethesda has kept on with targeting and trying to deal with the glitches which are identified, which is more than can be said for some companies.

Saying Skyrim is unplayable is absurd, and a direct attack on Bethesda, which they don't diserve. They did slack on some things, yes. They did cater more to a console audience, yes. They made some decisions (map markers, skill changes, etc) which i don't agree with, yes. But they still delivered a largely functional, enjoyable product which, like a good wine, will only get better with age.

Assuming of course we get the CK...

What a bunch of un-grateful people. tch, tch. :sleep:

Get over your entitlement issues people.

We should be content to know we're even getting a set of mod tools.

A lot of game devs don't even offer them.

Also, anyone who knows anything about game design can see that Bethesda has put a very large amount of work into Skyrim.

There are a lot of bugs, yes. It just needs polished further.

Skyrim is like an un-cut diamond. It's a little rough around the edges right now, just give it time.

Hell, it's only been out a few months.

What a bunch of un-grateful people. tch, tch. :sleep:

Get over your entitlement issues people.

We should be content to know we're even getting a set of mod tools.

A lot of game devs don't even offer them.

Also, anyone who knows anything about game design can see that Bethesda has put a very large amount of work into Skyrim.

There are a lot of bugs, yes. It just needs polished further.

Skyrim is like an un-cut diamond. It's a little rough around the edges right now, just give it time.

Hell, it's only been out a few months.

when you make a promise u keep it, they have a day left basically, in my opinion this whole thing has been rushed for the near December release date on a fancy 11/11/11 date, the game should have been more polished, i also feel this creation kit business is going to fail, they've made promises they cant keep without rushing out a unfinished product, at least once modders have a creation kit the free market can take over and polish up the game.

as soon as bethesda and steam secure their deal and steam has successfully damaged the free modding community we will indeed have the ck

This just proves my point. :laugh:

Instant Gratificaion, by the way, works both way. The longer it takes Beth to release the CK, the lower the number of new modders will be; Many potential modders have probably forgotten about Skyrim in the time since release; I admit I myself pretty much shelved Skyrim until recently when I heard Bethesda had confirmed the CK for the end of January. Now if time has helped Beth iron out the game breaking bugs that plagued past APIs, that loss will be well worth it, but let's be honest: Bethesda is one of the worst AAA developers when it comes to bugs, partially because of how much they cling to the gamebryo engine (of which the Creation Engine is a modified version.). I'll be happy if there's only one or two parts of the CK are unusable on release.

You make it sound like the game has been out for several years; in reality it has been just under 3 months since it's release. If we've lost a large number of potential modders in that short period of time then I'd wager that such impatience is indicative of a lack of dedication to the game and thus whatever fleeting trinkets of instant gratification they might have produced will not be missed anyway.

Well put. IIRC, GECK for NV was 6 mos after release or was that FO3? I know that both were after.

Not directed at any one person...but I must be some special user because in the 528+ hours across 4 different characters, I have experienced literally 4 bugs, all of which I was able to either fix or work around. Oh and I have yet to have the game crash, at all, ever. Can't say that for any other modern Fallout or TES games, so to me this game is relatively bug free. :thumbsup:

You also have a decent computer and a good working knowledge behind the functonality of it's use. It's no surprise most of the people ranting about how buggy the game is are either playing on an antique machine or are still wondering what all those big explantion ! boxes are floating around their character.

Not directed at any one person...but I must be some special user because in the 528+ hours across 4 different characters, I have experienced literally 4 bugs, all of which I was able to either fix or work around. Oh and I have yet to have the game crash, at all, ever. Can't say that for any other modern Fallout or TES games, so to me this game is relatively bug free. :thumbsup:

You also have a decent computer and a good working knowledge behind the functonality of it's use. It's no surprise most of the people ranting about how buggy the game is are either playing on an antique machine or are still wondering what all those big explantion ! boxes are floating around their character.

Well, my PC is not exactly newer, but you do bring up a good point. Antiquated PCs could account for some of the buggyness that some people are experiencing, as well as lack of experience with PCs or PC gaming in general could account for some, and some that try pushing PC hardware to do more than it supposed to can account for some. Then you have a combo of those causes, then add unrealistic expectations and the just plain Bethesda haters and you have a recipe for what we have been seeing over the last 2 months in every Skyrim forum on the planet! :laugh:

I still maintain that Skyrim is relatively bug free (when comparing to past TES and Fallout games based in the similar engine). :thumbsup:

Well, in the game stability side Skyrim is a BIG improvement although 1.4 beta is presenting some randon fall to desktop I could not yet identify securely the cause, if the patch itself or wrong hooking to it (skse for example) or some mod I use. Anyway it is far, far away indeed of the stability problems from previous titles.

Now, the quests are another thing, before 1.4 the amount of bugs in them is unbearable, some of them actually game breaking or plain annoying...

A moment please... just while I'm posting here Stram popped up as something was downloaded for Skyrim and skse is accusing new version of the game... more on it briefly.

Edit: confirmed, version is at 1.4.21.04 - I hope it is the "stable" 1.4.2 patch

Edited by nosisab

Vanilla skyrim is fine, don't know what your talking about.

If Vanilla Skyrim is "fine" what are you doing at a modding site?

Umm... I'm at a modding site to find new and exciting modifications to a game I love. The whole reason I support modding is to get indie content into a AAA release format. I love the vanilla game and the modding community adds YEARS of playability to a game and engine that knows how to utilitize it to its best advantage.

Does Skyrim have bugs? Yes. Do people blame Bethesda for "rushing" a game to release for a snazzy date? Yes. Is that nonsense? YES. Bethesda is part of a COMMERICAL ENTERPRISE whose primary goal is TO MAKE MONEY. They took an opportunity to snag a cool date and delivered the best product they could under the requirements of the corporate entities who sign their paychecks. Any game which exists in development for too long without release is probably going to fail (Duke Nukem Forever sound familiar?). They worked as much as they could, released it, and are now going through and fixing things to the best of their ability.

And to anyone who says that they shouldn't release such a buggy game... consider the amount of hours of entertainment you get from the average Bethesda game to any other AAA title. Hundreds of hours vs 30-50 if you are lucky. And it's not like it's a surprise. Hence the term "Bugthesda." When you buy their product, you understand and agree to it... Be an adult and a responsible consumer. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Or - wait a few frickin WEEKS for a game to be made customizable that was in development for YEARS.

I'm not an apologist. I'm a realist.

Edited by gahnzz