This is the site feedback/questions section

Dark0ne

I was looking at the pinned comment on the latest news post, and I have a question.

Archived files can still be downloaded by users via collections, by free users and Premium users alike. Outside of that, both the mod id and file id is required, which is non-trivial for the average user to obtain.

If free users can access files through collections traditionally (going to mod author's pages, what is stopping them from taking the link and sharing it?

It has been stated previously that only Premium members will be able to access the pages through Vortex.

Yes, free users could if they know the unique codes for the mod.

For the free users, they will still have access to the archived mods, they just get handed a download link to click on. Simple matter to copy the link, and then post it wherever.

Though, why someone would go to the trouble to do so, when the current version obviously isn't archived, is beyond me.

Doesn't that make the "non-trivial" part of the statement a lie, since it is as trivial as copying and pasting a link?

Definitely not.

Here is a test/example mod with 1 archived file, the file archive has been hidden by the author (me): https://www.nexusmods.com/hacklastrecode/mods/92?tab=files

The file is still there in the database, and it could be accessed via the API. But starting from here, how would you go about downloading it? You or someone tech savvy may know, but the average user would not. If the file archive wasn't hidden, you'd be able to see the file info, but no download link either.

I will say that it depends on your starting point. If that file was already in a collection that you've already downloaded, then you could get to the link more easily, yes, and you could share that link. But the question is why would you go through that trouble to get an out of date / unsupported file? Maybe you have a reason, sure, but on average due to a combination of it being not that easy for the average user to access archived files, nor all that desirable in the first place, the idea that the average user will still download archived files en masse and then raise false support issues with the mod author, I think, is being put into perspective.

The file is still there in the database, and it could be accessed via the API. But starting from here, how would you go about downloading it? You or someone tech savvy may know, but the average user would not.

They will pay someone else to do it for them.

The file is still there in the database, and it could be accessed via the API. But starting from here, how would you go about downloading it? You or someone tech savvy may know, but the average user would not.

All it takes is one tech savvy user to create a tool that scrapes the site for public file IDs and accesses them through your API.

Even someone who is not that tech savvy can easily make a list of the necessary information and manually paste it into your public API docs to generate a download link.

Now it doesn't matter when an author hides a file. If someone did the above, the file is easily accessible.

Edited by Ladez

Guest deleted34304850

my post broke no TOS, why was it removed?

If you were butthurt by the beermat remark, I will rescind it to soothe egos, but it doesn't mean your design is any better though and a big part of this design relies on your user base being shall we say, technically limited?

Guest deleted34304850

here's something that i am certain you've thought of

But the question is why would you go through that trouble to get an out of date / unsupported file? Maybe you have a reason, sure

how about this scenario.

lets assume i have a cracked game that is not at the current level of the paid for game in terms of patches and such.

perhaps there's a version of a mod that works on the current version of the game, but if you install that patch on a back level game, it doesn't work. however, as nothing gets deleted any more, i can pull down an older version of a mod that works on my older version of the game - and joy of joys i have a cracked game that has an older version of a mod that brings something to the game that wasn't there before.

as i said, i'm certain you've thought of this, because you've put two years of effort into this (yet that quote above kinda betrays that effort somehow) - but that's a pretty plausible reason to go for an older and unsupported version of a mod. isn't it?

so, as you've thought of this and every other potential banana skin there is - what would be your solution to prevent that scenario from happening, that doesn't include deleting the old, unsupported mod that is still relevant to an old, cracked version of a game?

remember - you've kindly removed all complexity from modding games now, and its nice that users of older, pirated games can play along too?

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

Â

But the question is why would you go through that trouble to get an out of date / unsupported file? Maybe you have a reason, sure

Â

how about this scenario.

lets assume i have a cracked game that is not at the current level of the paid for game in terms of patches and such.

perhaps there's a version of a mod that works on the current version of the game, but if you install that patch on a back level game, it doesn't work. however, as nothing gets deleted any more, i can pull down an older version of a mod that works on my older version of the game - and joy of joys i have a cracked game that has an older version of a mod that brings something to the game that wasn't there before.

Â

as i said, i'm certain you've thought of this - but that's a pretty plausible reason to go for an older and unsupported version of a mod. isn't it?

Stop trying to find holes in this incredibly well designed system.

You or someone tech savvy may know, but the average user would not.

It doesn't take a whole userbase of tech savvy users if one guy is able to do it since he is able to share the link. All he needs to do is use the API to find the mod and file ID, and then share the link with less savvy users. This is also dangerous as the users might be willing to pay others for archived mods.

But the question is why would you go through that trouble to get an out of date / unsupported file?

People have opinions and some people consider some mods to be essential to their game experience. If a mod is removed or archived, they are willing to go through all the hoops necessary to get that mod. That is why subreddits like "Mod Piracy" exist.

Edited by JohnDoeFromTF2

Â

Â

how about this scenario.

Â

as i said, i'm certain you've thought of this - but that's a pretty plausible reason to go for an older and unsupported version of a mod. isn't it?

Stop trying to find holes in this incredibly well designed system.

A "well designed" system wouldn't need to step on mod authors rights.......