⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

SKSE

Lodbrok

The truth is that this is somewhere in between Skyrim and Fallout 4. Parts of the engine have been updated to match Fallout 4 (graphics engine, 64-bit, etc.) Basically all of their games are the same core engine which gets improved/modified with each release. But where Fallout 4 used ActionScript 3 and an updated Papyrus scripting engine, Skyrim SE uses the old UI and Papyrus engine from Skyrim (to do otherwise would require rewriting all the scripts and the UI.)

In either case there is a lot of work to do for us. Even within a single game there are lots of things to update with each new build. Memory addresses and offsets change, functions can behave differently, classes can get data added or removed, classes and form types can appear or disappear. Between games you don't even have the basics you can depend upon. With each new game we have to find all of the relevant and important bits and update our internal code to match the new realties.

The jump to the F4 64-bit engine was really big. We haven't really got real script extending working for F4SE yet (in part due to real life concerns). We are expecting there to be a similar big jump for the Special Edition. While in general we have a sense for the large subsystems are which ought to be closer to Skyrim and F4, until we look at the nitty gritty details we simply won't know.

Add to this the fact that Bethesda again released the game in a psuedo-debug mode with a big extra jump table in between all of the functions, and anything we do right this moment will have to be redone as soon as they release a fix. They know about this - but who knows when they will have an update. Next week? Next month?

We'll start investigating, but this is going to take some serious effort and time to get done. There is a ton of functionality in SKSE. We won't get it all implemented at once for the Special Edition. Expect early versions for the Special Edition to have a lot less functionality. And no ETA at all for when we'll have anything to show.

Thanks a bunch for all the work you and everyone else have poured into SKSE, F4SE, and eventually SK(SE)SE or whatever you intend to call it.

You are all benevolent computer wizards in the eyes of us potato farming non-authors.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support everyone. I have updated the website with a statement about SKSE64.

We use our own private source control repository, as it is very important not to have the sources forked. We have discussed the github site mentioned earlier with the creator and it has been taken down now that we are officially working on the port ourselves. In general there aren't a lot of folks who have the skills to help out on the project. Over the last 10 years there have only been four or five of us who have been truly active (Ian (ianpatt), myself (behippo), Brendan (purple lunchbox/expired), Paul (scruggsywuggsy the ferret)). Not every programmer can really help out. Especially in the earliest stages of a port where it is more reverse engineering and understanding the game engine than writing new code.

Once we have more of a base there will be need for testers and perhaps folks willing to help update the wiki with SKSE64 functions as they come online. We'll let folks know when we reach that stage.

Thanks for the support everyone. I have updated the website with a statement about SKSE64.

We use our own private source control repository, as it is very important not to have the sources forked. We have discussed the github site mentioned earlier with the creator and it has been taken down now that we are officially working on the port ourselves. In general there aren't a lot of folks who have the skills to help out on the project. Over the last 10 years there have only been four or five of us who have been truly active (Ian (ianpatt), myself (behippo), Brendan (purple lunchbox/expired), Paul (scruggsywuggsy the ferret)). Not every programmer can really help out. Especially in the earliest stages of a port where it is more reverse engineering and understanding the game engine than writing new code.

Once we have more of a base there will be need for testers and perhaps folks willing to help update the wiki with SKSE64 functions as they come online. We'll let folks know when we reach that stage.

When Project Red email me with there be a 8 months delay on your prepaid game, I replied in the forums take all time time you need, there no problems. Same goes here.

Either way, thanks a whole lot for your contribution, Stephen. You guys really do desearve a whole crowd of big-time nerds going crazy over what you've done for the modding community.

Appreciate all of your efforts and time put into developing SKSE and SKSE64, which is still to come.

I am wondering if it might be possible for the SKSE team to coordinate with Bethesda?

Basically, if we could define an interface between the engine and SKSE - entry points and data structures - then maybe this could make future releases quicker?

Of course, the trick would be to find people who can talk with each other and can work through things despite all the potential frustrations, dead ends and attitude issues. But if this is to everyone's advantage, it seems like maybe this could be possible?

Edited by aquilegia

This is why I love you guys. Not only for the amazing work you put into the stuff you do, but the little details.

Some people may not notice it, or think I'm overpraising it, but as a person who deals with things like this, I can say that they person that came up with "SKSE64" as a name for it deserves an applause, whomever they are. Clean, professional, easy to look up and find in search engines; a million times, bravo!

Just out of curiosity though, what kind of damage would forks/third party repositories bear to the project?

Edited by Banderi

I am wondering if it might be possible for the SKSE team to coordinate with Bethesda?

Basically, if we could define an interface between the engine and SKSE - entry points and data structures - then maybe this could make future releases quicker?

Of course, the trick would be to find people who can talk with each other and can work through things despite all the potential frustrations, dead ends and attitude issues. But if this is to everyone's advantage, it seems like maybe this could be possible?

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-32322-Bender-haha-gif-Futurama-Oh-wa-PgCH.gif

This is why I love you guys. Not only for the amazing work you put into the stuff you do, but the little details.

Some people may not notice it, or think I'm overpraising it, but as a person who deals with things like this, I can say that they person that came up with "SKSE64" as a name for it deserves an applause, whomever they are. Clean, professional, easy to look up and find in search engines; a million times, bravo!

Just out of curiosity though, what kind of damage would forks/third party repositories bear to the project?

I can't speak specifically to the concerns the Script Extender team might be referring to. But this site has some good points http://catb.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/homesteading/ar01s09.html

Just dropping a big Thank you to the team who do the script extenders. Thank you for your willingness to share your talents and spend your valuable time on these projects. :thumbsup: