[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be onto something there; I'll have to try that out once the Nydar is ready - see if it fits.

Its textures are coming along well, actually - same with the rest of the Thompson textures. I think I've got the basic look down; just need to tweak the materials and add details.

The more I look at WARS,the more I'm convinced that it's the new Gunsmith Extended. I loved that mod,thanks to how it opened up customization. Then,it died. WARS approaches the same concepts from a different angle. I love the work you do,Antistar.

Thanks - and here are those screenshots of the Thompson I mentioned:

- Thompson SMG 01

- Thompson SMG 02

- Thompson SMG 03

- Thompson SMG 04

- Thompson SMG 05

To recap, the base meshes are by sgtbarney, with some changes and additions by me. (Except for the Nydar Gun Sight, which is mine from scratch.) This is all to replace the vanilla "Submachine Gun" assets, and expand on its available weapon mods.

Note that there's no big lens in the Nydar sight there because I'll use a vanilla texture for that, unless it ends up looking awful.

On the "Silver Submachine Gun": For now I've left the magazines unchanged since I kind of like the two-tone look, and it makes a little more sense to me than having a ready supply of similarly silvered magazines. In the same vein, I went with black paint on the wood as it feels more believable to me than the "black wood" of the vanilla Silver SMG.

Probably not; I don't like the method See-Through Scopes has to use. (I've said this before, but it's not the author's fault; it's due to engine limitations.)

By making magnifying scopes function the same way as iron-sights and reflex sights, it means they lose that scope wobble and become unnaturally rock-steady. Along with that goes the loss of the ability to hold your breath to steady your aim, and the influence of things like perks and other weapon mods on scope stability. It's a shame it works that way; I'd prefer iron-sights and reflex sights to have some subtle sight wobble too.

And of course there's the obvious problem of your whole view zooming in when using one of the scopes - rather than just the view through the scope. That's the big engine-limitation problem.

That's one of the downfalls of developing on multiple platforms. Consoles won't be able to handle dual rendering to create that effect for a long while, and even most PC gpus couldn't really handle it until the most recent generation. Plus it can feel kind of clunky even if done well; escape from tarkov has that system in it and it feels nowhere near as natural as it does IRL.