[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Damn, I really wish Bethesda had put that MG42 in FO4... the void for a true machine gun of some kind is huge. Without doing an actual belt that belt-in-drum battlepack "magazine" is probably the best way to do belt feds at the moment.

The MG42 doesn't even seem to have a belt that we've seen. I have a feeling they used the drum magazine so they could just pop it on and off the side, whether it really works that way or not.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, in-game it doesn't have a belt; there's an attachment IRL that the german army issued that is that drum you see in game. All it does is hold a belt of 50 rounds, but yes they probably used it so they wouldn't have to animate an actual belt. From what I remember of the one I handled you could actually just pop it on and off though.

You're correct, it's MG34/42 assault drum, otherwise known as the Gurttrommel, and looking at the way the reload was ended one could modify the gauss rifle reload so the that you could pop the top on the weapon if somebody wanted to make it.

Damn, I really wish Bethesda had put that MG42 in FO4... the void for a true machine gun of some kind is huge. Without doing an actual belt that belt-in-drum battlepack "magazine" is probably the best way to do belt feds at the moment.

I thought the same thing when I saw that. (For the sake of posterity - or anyone who hasn't seen it - kuzi127 is talking about the footage of Fallout 76 revealed at E3 2018.)

Same with that M2 Browning; that makes for a great power armour weapon. I got a lot of use out of the one I put into WMX-MW.

As an update; still working on the L86 barrel/forend. It's a complicated part. I think the handguard model is basically done (which is good because that was the complicated part) - and now I'm working on the support strut/girder thing for the barrel. Doing the loop out at the muzzle-end of the strut will be interesting; it's designed to loop around a specific L86 flash hider, which I'm not making. I've already got two other flash hiders for the SA80. Instead I'll need to get it to fit somehow with all the other muzzle devices it's got available - or with a bare muzzle.

Well,I think we've already settled on the Gauss being impossible to truly suppress; You simply cannot hide a projectile ripping through the air at Mach 20. We've also noted that the Gauss will probably hit like a possessed freight train. So...

1) Damage scales positively with barrel length. A Gauss gun operates by throwing a projectile through a series of electromagnetic accelerators. The longer the barrel,the more damage it'll deal,because it holds more accelerators,however...

2) Weight and durability scale negatively with barrel length. A longer barrel with more magnets in it means a LOT more mass,and the faster the projectile rips through this thing,the more wear it'll inflict upon the weapon with each shot. Realistically,a point will be reached where you need to simply replace the entire barrel with each shot.

3) Charge time negatively scales with barrel length. Simply put,you have more accelerators to energize,so it'll take longer to get the job done.

In essence,with a Gauss,the barrel is everything. As such,to get meaningful tactical choice for modifications in the Gauss,a large variety of barrels with different attributes will be required.