Your memorable nonquest/nonscripted stories

thesapien

This wasn't so funny as it was epic/cinematic and a little bit tragic. I just rescued Thorald from the Thalmor at Northwatch Keep, but I wanted to stop at Riverwood for the Midas thing since I got some new ingredients before I told Thorald's mother in Whiterun. So I fast travel there, and as soon as Lydia and I arrive, we find Riverwood under attack by a dragon, and the fight begins.

The dragon thankfully focused mostly on guards, which is fine with me since they respawn and they kept it from attacked those that don't respawn -- namely, townsfolk, Lydia, and most importantly, me. We all ready our bows and fire away at the thing as it dives by and lands on rooftops; I occasionally throw in a Fire Breath shout if it holds still long enough. Midway through the battle (and it was a lengthy one) it landed on the roof of the trading store and swept the main street with fire. As I fired arrow after arrow, just as it took off again, I heard a little girl's yell out "NO! THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!" but it barely registers since the dragon is on my ass. We finally get the thing's health low enough to make it drop out of the sky, and it faceplants on that little island with the lumber mill. I equip my Daedric Greatsword and go to town, cleaving my blade into its skull at the end. I absorb its soul as Lydia and the townsfolk gather together on the bridge and make astonished comments. At first glance it looks like the whole town is there, so I congratulate myself on killing the dragon before anyone that's not a guard could be killed.

Then, as Lydia and I squeeze by the crowd and head to the Riverwood Trader, I see it. Lying facedown in front of the inn is Alvor's wife, Sigrid, scorch marks around her, their daughter Dorthe standing over her body. I felt like the biggest failure in the world.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This wasn't so funny as it was epic/cinematic and a little bit tragic. I just rescued Thorald from the Thalmor at Northwatch Keep, but I wanted to stop at Riverwood for the Midas thing since I got some new ingredients before I told Thorald's mother in Whiterun. So I fast travel there, and as soon as Lydia and I arrive, we find Riverwood under attack by a dragon, and the fight begins.

The dragon thankfully focused mostly on guards, which is fine with me since they respawn and they kept it from attacked those that don't respawn -- namely, townsfolk, Lydia, and most importantly, me. We all ready our bows and fire away at the thing as it dives by and lands on rooftops; I occasionally throw in a Fire Breath shout if it holds still long enough. Midway through the battle (and it was a lengthy one) it landed on the roof of the trading store and swept the main street with fire. As I fired arrow after arrow, just as it took off again, I heard a little girl's yell out "NO! THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!" but it barely registers since the dragon is on my ass. We finally get the thing's health low enough to make it drop out of the sky, and it faceplants on that little island with the lumber mill. I equip my Daedric Greatsword and go to town, cleaving my blade into its skull at the end. I absorb its soul as Lydia and the townsfolk gather together on the bridge and make astonished comments. At first glance it looks like the whole town is there, so I congratulate myself on killing the dragon before anyone that's not a guard could be killed.

Then, as Lydia and I squeeze by the crowd and head to the Riverwood Trader, I see it. Lying facedown in front of the inn is Alvor's wife, Sigrid, scorch marks around her, their daughter Dorthe standing over her body. I felt like the biggest failure in the world.

*sob* that was sad

*sob* that was sad

Yeah, very. Many of us have lost friends in Riverwood, probably. I've killed a dragon in Riverwood only to feel like I failed afterward for not being quick enough or paying enough attention to others being attacked. The trader's sister... what's her name? I can't even remember her name...

I stopped fast travelling to Riverwood it was guaranteed a dragon would strike if I did, if I hadn't gone back to saved games each time I forgot there wouldn't be anyone in the town, from memory the blacksmith died, the couple at the saw mill were both floating in the river one time, the archer bloke and the bard, one of the kids died, I lost count of how many guards would have died if I hadn't re-loaded, it all got too much.

There are just so many random events/situations/occurrences in Skyrim, some I can find no information on them anywhere - why they occurred or what supposedly happened. Most I have run across are somewhat humorous, others not so humorous.

I wonder if anyone else has been in The Reach and found the dead girl and her diary.

I do not even remember what I was doing in The Reach (probably some minor quest), but since I never fast travel (I have hired a cart once or twice, but no fast travel otherwise) I usually travel by road or wander the countryside as I go place to place - so here I am wandering through the wilderness of The Reach when I run across a small pond and there is a naked, dead body floating in the water with a couple of forsworn arrows in it. I look around and find some clothes and a diary. Here is some farm girl who likes to go swimming at her favorite place to cool off and her Dad has told her not to go into The Reach because its dangerous - advice she obviously did not take seriously.

For some reason this little scene just made me so angry I could hear my heart pounding. I proceeded to wander The Reach and kill every forsworn I could find and I am sure within an hour or so of play I had killed every forsworn in the game and had finally cooled off a bit.

The worst part was I had no way to find this girls parents or the farm she was from and no way to let her parents know what happened to her - which also made me angry.

I don't know who at Bethseda thought this was a good or interesting little event to put in the game, but I'd really like to punch whomever it was right in the face and then kick them right in the butt a few times for not having a way to finish it. Considering Skyrim is just a stupid game, I really have no specific idea why this made me so angry, but it did and still sort of bothers me that there was no way to end it.

Sometimes, that's life, without closer. I think that's why some of these little stories get to us. I happened across some bandits right after they killed someone, then came after me. After taking them out, I investigated the scene. The dead girl had a journal. She'd been looking for her family necklace that was stolen by bandits, the last thing she had from her family and wasn't going to let it be lost to bandits. I searched the bandits and found it. I then put it back on her, carrying her body to a nice, peaceful spot, then went on my way without feeling any better really. I was too late.

this is what makes skyrim especial. in real world your never always on time. this is a thing that makes this game so beautiful and so annoying. i had the same bad feeling when i went into the light house to find all of the family slaughtered by some stupid chaurus. and the worst part was there was nothing i could do other than avenge them. that was one of the moments which made me sad and angry. Edited by magiii

I stopped fast travelling to Riverwood it was guaranteed a dragon would strike if I did, if I hadn't gone back to saved games each time I forgot there wouldn't be anyone in the town, from memory the blacksmith died, the couple at the saw mill were both floating in the river one time, the archer bloke and the bard, one of the kids died, I lost count of how many guards would have died if I hadn't re-loaded, it all got too much.

Riverwood? Dragons? Alvor the Smith? Oh the memories.

A Elder Dragon attacked Riverwood. I lowered it's health to near death. Alvor the Blacksmith comes charging in and starts punching the dragon. Alvor dies of fire. Elder Dragon is killed by me. Laughs at Alvor's body. Felt sad for his daughter.

Edited by 62firelight

I had the weirdest what the heck moment last night. I've finished the game but still want to get my level up in one handed and decided to visit all the spots not showing cleared in the hope they respawn, fast travelled to Ustengrav and as soon as I appeared a mage flanked on either side by 2 bandit types comes hurtling toward me, I hate mage types unless it's me so decided to take her out first, which I did, went to go after the other 2 and that's when it happened, they turned and faced each other, ran into each other, about faced on the spot and both dropped dead??????????????? I just stood there watching completely confused as to what just happened.

I was heading south along the road after clearing out the Sundered Towers (near Karthwasten) when I came across two boys on the road. Just prior to this, I took out a pair of Forsworn camped along the road by a looted and trapped caravan. Seeing these two boys (Sond and Bottar) wandering around where there are Saber Tooth Cats, Forsworn, Orc Hunters and plenty of Bandits just ticked off my 'maternal instincts'. After threatening to 'take them over my knee', I followed them as they took off down the road, since I was wondering where the hey they had come from. Of course, they happened to be 'wandering merchants'. But two boys running around in the Reach, snooping around Dwarven Ruins and SOMEHOW avoiding all the dangers out there (even if they are Essential) just seems very weird. >>'

IOf course, they happened to be 'wandering merchants'. But two boys running around in the Reach, snooping around Dwarven Ruins and SOMEHOW avoiding all the dangers out there (even if they are Essential) just seems very weird. >>'

I had encountered this two boys, near Markarth two times, the second time one of the two boys were dead just one remaining