[WIP] Atvir Dres: The Last Prince of Tear

JanusForbeare

A number of people have mentioned that Atvir sometimes steals their horse. The way he's currently set up, he has two "follow" AI packages - a mounted package, and a foot package. His mounted package looks for the nearest available steed and directs him to mount it. This worked fine when I first developed the mechanic, because back then, Atvir would summon his steed every time he was asked to mount up, making it the nearest mount 98% of the time (whereas now he only summons Bellekynd if he's far away).

I plan on tightening up the riding system for the next update (which will probably be the first Content Update, described earlier in this thread). An "equip torch" order will likely make it into that update as well. As for a "Call Atvir" voice power, I am considering the possibility - someone else mentioned this a while back as well. However, spells are far less complicated to make in the CK, which is why this current (alpha) incarnation uses the magical approach.

And kudos on the "compliment sandwich" technique - I also use that approach when commenting on mods (compliment, suggestion, compliment). Tends to get better results! :thumbsup:

Edited by JanusForbeare

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And kudos on the "compliment sandwich" technique - I also use that approach when commenting on mods (compliment, suggestion, compliment). Tends to get better results! :thumbsup:

haha...now I know where Atvir gets his wit from.

Can't wait to see him further develop. I can't believe no one else has tried to make a mod like this for Skyrim!

Another thing I forgot to mention about horse riding...it'd be nice if he only dismounted and attacked when you drew your weapon. When using Warzones, sometimes you're outnumbered and need to get on your horse and flee, and if he were to mount his horse when you mounted your horse with your weapon sheathed, then it'd make it much easier. This is how Convenient Horses does it as well.

P.S.

His sandbox mode is so awesome! He actually goes outside and back in. He really feels like a genuine character in Skyrim...more than an NPC.

Edited by drrusa

Another thing I forgot to mention about horse riding...it'd be nice if he only dismounted and attacked when you drew your weapon. When using Warzones, sometimes you're outnumbered and need to get on your horse and flee, and if he were to mount his horse when you mounted your horse with your weapon sheathed, then it'd make it much easier. This is how Convenient Horses does it as well.

Interesting, thanks for the advice. That does seem like a more intuitive system. I tend to mod more than I play, so I often miss neat little things other modders do... such as this mechanic.

I absolutely ADORE Atvir. He's the perfect counterpart to my own Dunmer, whom I see to be a very quiet and complacent person (y'know, until she finds out she's the Dragonborn and she has to save the world n'stuff). However, I do have one slight problem:

He won't follow me anymore. I still have all of his options, but when I tell him to follow me, or even to take a break, he agrees but then simply continues onward. It seems to have something to do with his horse and fast-travelling, as it only occurs after I fast-travel. We get there, and then he simply walks off in the general direction of the last place his horse was. I don't think he's not listening to me because of the "Was it something I said?" quest, only because I haven't had that come up yet and he's never gotten angry at me.

Nonetheless, it's an amazing mod, and I for one can't wait for the romance sub-plot.

He won't follow me anymore. I still have all of his options, but when I tell him to follow me, or even to take a break, he agrees but then simply continues onward. It seems to have something to do with his horse and fast-travelling, as it only occurs after I fast-travel. We get there, and then he simply walks off in the general direction of the last place his horse was.

I discovered this myself. He will continue all the way BACK to where he left his horse. Best bet is to just wait and let him do his task or even walk with him and you be the follower for a little bit. Ha ha. Hopefully this business with the horse gets ironed out soon.

I discovered this myself. He will continue all the way BACK to where he left his horse. Best bet is to just wait and let him do his task or even walk with him and you be the follower for a little bit. Ha ha. Hopefully this business with the horse gets ironed out soon.

Alternatively, I found you can you the dialogue option 'Why don't you ride' to summon Bellekynd right to him, and then let him mount the horse. Then all you have to do is ask him to go on foot again. It still get's a tad annoying, but it is much faster than following him all the way to his horse, especially since in my game, he walked all the way there.

Although, now that I think about it, he did say something about us following him around for a change, so maybe it's his strange variation of revenge?

Edited by SilveryRose

Alternatively, I found you can you the dialogue option 'Why don't you ride' to summon Bellekynd right to him, and then let him mount the horse. Then all you have to do is ask him to go on foot again. It still get's a tad annoying, but it is much faster than following him all the way to his horse, especially since in my game, he walked all the way there.

Although, now that I think about it, he did say something about us following him around for a change, so maybe it's his strange variation of revenge?

Ha ha!

Well my instances of this happening was when he was already running his Mounted package. So suggesting he ride wasn't an option. Glad it worked out for you! I've learned my lesson and tend to just go on foot with my horse serving as a pack mule (yay for Convenient Horses).

Well it seems Atvir is secretly a smith and enchanter. He's duplicating armor. :P

I'm wondering if the existence of two conversation choices to change his gear might in part be to blame? Or if the fact it's a custom/stand-alone armor? I have no way of knowing.

Anyway, I had him wearing some enchanted glass armor for a while. Then I eventually changed his armor out entirely - however whenever I change locations via a loading screen (in and out of doors) he's now wearing the glass armor again. And I now have two pieces of this armor.... I might have 3 actually. I thought he just somehow took the glass armor back from me before. Funny thing is just the cuirass is changing. He's happy with the boots and gloves.

I tried assigning this armor both through "take a look at our gear" and through "I think we've found a look for you".

Edit: I finally got him to wear what I wanted! I took every piece back (order of removal was Glass, Custom, shoes boots). Walked indoors and he actually duplicated the last cuirass assigned (custom). Then I simply put the shoes and gloves on him.

So, if anyone else experiences this- there you go. :P

Edit 2: Also, I'm wondering if he's going to be toned down and/or level with the player - or if he'll be kept at his skill level for the sake of being realistic. I ask because while I do enjoy his company - the guy barrels in and cuts everything down before I can get more than a few hits in. Ha ha ha ha.

Edited by SongbirdLorelei