NMM2 - Update and recruitment

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #47493580. #47500655, #47507910, #47533300 are all replies on the same post.

Farvahar wrote: What I want to be able to do: have a person save their Skyrim configuration in toto and share it with other users as a file; the mod manager would then recreate that experience on my machine without all the hassle that goes with this currently. The manager would download the mods, set them up etc etc so as to create the same Skyrim experience as a mod master would be able to put together.

Their are guides that explain how to recreate an "ideal" Skyrim configuration, but they require far too much attention for novices and more casual players. For folks with little time to play around with all that, it deters from playing the game.
bubinga64 wrote: Im not saying it's impossible, but I wonder just how useful that feature would be unless it was only mods from this site and said configuration didn't have older mods that are now hidden or removed. Also keep in mind that many people tweak mods so you may not get the intended effect.

piperman123 wrote: I can't second this enough, making it so we can share modded games without depriving modders of their downloads would be sweet AF! Would also be a tremendous help with troubleshooting I imagine. Letting more experienced modders or mod authors tweak certain things or quickly produce patches, reproduce and narrow down user issues etc. As for people using tweaked esps, no reason why after the manager downloads that mod it can't copy (or the users can manually share) the tweaked versions or direct each other to mods downloaded from elsewhere which is probably far fewer than those used from here anyway.

Plus I spend weeks messing with mods and it would be great to be able to share some of my 'ultra modded' setups with friends who aren't as experienced or willing to put the time into learning or setting things up but have seen my version of Skyrim and would like to play it too or even help troubleshoot and test things as they play more than I do or while I continue to play about with modding further.

+1 for sure!
vogues wrote: game changer

I could see automation like this working for mods using the simple "click the NMM button to install" but not for mods that require separate plugins, patches, mod requirements, ini edits, manual downloads, etc. Probably would end up creating more problems for people than it would solve. Then there is the issue of bypassing page views, and the advertisement and support that nexus, and potentially mod authors get (through donations) with those page views.

The only way I can imagine this working is if Nexus set up a file sharing system like dropbox that can also connect to the Skyrim data folders and the nexus mod manager, allowing players to share data/ save game files via the cloud. Interesting concept for sure, but sharing data like that could also mean monthly subscription charges to pay for storing all the data on the cloud.
Edited by phellen

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #47493580. #47500655, #47507910, #47533300, #47538495 are all replies on the same post.

Farvahar wrote: What I want to be able to do: have a person save their Skyrim configuration in toto and share it with other users as a file; the mod manager would then recreate that experience on my machine without all the hassle that goes with this currently. The manager would download the mods, set them up etc etc so as to create the same Skyrim experience as a mod master would be able to put together.

Their are guides that explain how to recreate an "ideal" Skyrim configuration, but they require far too much attention for novices and more casual players. For folks with little time to play around with all that, it deters from playing the game.
bubinga64 wrote: Im not saying it's impossible, but I wonder just how useful that feature would be unless it was only mods from this site and said configuration didn't have older mods that are now hidden or removed. Also keep in mind that many people tweak mods so you may not get the intended effect.

piperman123 wrote: I can't second this enough, making it so we can share modded games without depriving modders of their downloads would be sweet AF! Would also be a tremendous help with troubleshooting I imagine. Letting more experienced modders or mod authors tweak certain things or quickly produce patches, reproduce and narrow down user issues etc. As for people using tweaked esps, no reason why after the manager downloads that mod it can't copy (or the users can manually share) the tweaked versions or direct each other to mods downloaded from elsewhere which is probably far fewer than those used from here anyway.

Plus I spend weeks messing with mods and it would be great to be able to share some of my 'ultra modded' setups with friends who aren't as experienced or willing to put the time into learning or setting things up but have seen my version of Skyrim and would like to play it too or even help troubleshoot and test things as they play more than I do or while I continue to play about with modding further.

+1 for sure!
vogues wrote: game changer
phellen wrote: I could see automation like this working for mods using the simple "click the NMM button to install" but not for mods that require separate plugins, patches, mod requirements, ini edits, manual downloads, etc. Probably would end up creating more problems for people than it would solve. Then there is the issue of bypassing page views, and the advertisement and support that nexus, and potentially mod authors get (through donations) with those page views.

The only way I can imagine this working is if Nexus set up a file sharing system like dropbox that can also connect to the Skyrim data folders and the nexus mod manager, allowing players to share data/ save game files via the cloud. Interesting concept for sure, but sharing data like that could also mean monthly subscription charges to pay for storing all the data on the cloud.

So one thing Most of the modding community (probably) and I would absolutely love/need in NMM2 would be some sort of import from MO2/NMM1 and a virtual file system.
P.S. love te work you guys do here, very much hyped for NMM2.

In response to post #47393330. #47394385, #47409845, #47410090, #47410120, #47411905, #47414300, #47426290, #47432345, #47459325, #47461520, #47462670, #47465445, #47470155, #47470175, #47506420, #47508675, #47513330, #47515215, #47515350, #47515465, #47516100, #47517525, #47525645, #47532475 are all replies on the same post.

TheShoxter wrote: How about calling it Vortex? It's going to be the all-in-one perfect mod manager it seems, so the name represents the combinations of functions all coming together. It also sounds dope.

Current Nexus logo can already be appropriated for this name, it resembles a swirling vortex.
dark_wizzie wrote: Vortex, the ultimate in mod management!!!
GenBloodhorn wrote: Not bad really. Its nice. +1
kazuakisama wrote: I agree. Also avoids confusion with old NMM.

+1
bunnyman280 wrote: Vortex does sound cooler
AedanClarke wrote: Of all the suggestions I've seen, I personally like Vortex the most by far. It sounds cool, is quick to say, quick to type, and isn't a boring acronym.

+1
silencer711 wrote: I actually like Vortex a lot. It's a new name altogether and long name could be NVM (Nexus Vortex Manager) or something. I like VORTEX better than my own suggestion lol :)
IronGator454 wrote: Vortex sounds great! Its a name that sticks out and makes you think when you read it. It literally pulls you into it. Seems a very fitting name for such a great new manager. +1
BoltActionWaffl3 wrote: Vortex +1
Just hope they add a " Dark" UI option.
Darkarhon wrote: Vortex definitely sounds great.
emilking wrote: Hmm, I can't come up with anything better myself so yeah! Vortex for sure. +1
redbeaniez wrote: Vortex does sound cool as hell and really fits the Nexus logo.
dpcarr3 wrote: VORTEX!!!! Really like that for a name!!!
Sostrmnn wrote: That's a great idea! And Vortex goes perfectly with Nexus :)
Sostrmnn wrote:

Woops, double posted by mistake :(

lued123 wrote: Vortex seems pretty good, and when people are having trouble with it, they can joke that it's sucking away all their time and/or patience and/or sanity, so that's fun. Let's see...
Very Organized Really Trustworthy Extractor of eXtra content?
Never mind. That's horrible. Just Vortex.
mattloki wrote: +1 from me
crystaldragon141 wrote: Just thought I'd jump in and say that I also love the name Vortex!
Craytose wrote: Not only does it sound cool, keeping that hard "x" (like nexus), but it represents the combining and the current logo already. I cannot imagine someone coming up with something better than this, kudos TheShoxter!
FreedomFighter4 wrote: I like it as well, hope it gets picked up!
cocodojo wrote: I was going to call it Fluffybutt Mod Manager... but I suppose telling everyone to DL "Fluffybutt" would sound rather odd compared to "Oh, just DL Vortex"

Goto Nexus, DL THE VORTEX, and watch in amazement as it swirls ALL your favorite mods into your favorite game! Its so easy, just hit the flush button and when you hear the flushing or swooshing noise, you know it just got modded in. Go and try out VORTEX... TODAY!
Mabana2go wrote: +1
CallerofCrows wrote: I love the name Vortex! Definitely a +1 from me.
DFX2K9 wrote: oooooh, I like it, that sounds cool.
Kaliban71 wrote: i like the name Vortex also +1 from me too

+1, love the name

In response to post #47459445. #47460265, #47461155 are all replies on the same post.

setiweb wrote: Sorry, I stopped reading at "Electron". So much creativity around here yet we somehow managed to use it all up right before we hit the name.
BryanBoru wrote: You do realize that Electron is not the name they chose for their new Mod Manager but the Coding platform they chose to build that app on, right? http://electron.atom.io can give you more information if you like, or you can just be happy knowing Electron isn't the name and you were mistaken.
Ethreon wrote: He doesn't. He's stopped reading many a time.

setiweb
Sorry, I stopped reading at "Electron". So much creativity around here yet we somehow managed to use it all up right before we hit the name.

Interesting that you, for whatever reason, think the name of the Mod Manager is "Electron", considering you had to read "(name still yet to be decided! )" before you even get to the part where they state the PLATFORM they're using to develop the Mod Manager is called "Electron"

Edited by HadToRegister

In response to post #47465120. #47466930, #47466955, #47483355, #47511485 are all replies on the same post.

acffordyce973 wrote: With the way that you treated your old Mod Manager (which was in development for a while and actually worked almost perfectly), why should we trust in you to not just drop this new Mod Manager once it becomes the norm again? I'm really baffled as to why you would waste all that work and instead switch to a new program instead of just adding to and fixing the old version.
Dark0ne wrote: That was explained in great detail in the announcement post for the new mod manager. If you can't understand it from the description I gave, in length, about why we are doing it, then I don't think you'll ever get it, so there's no point trying!
Dark0ne wrote: That was explained in great detail in the announcement post for the new mod manager. If you can't understand it from the description I gave, in length, about why we are doing it, then I don't think you'll ever get it, so there's no point trying!
ff7legend wrote: First off, the NMM Legacy version is running off code over a decade old. It's slower than molasses & hasn't been updated code-wise since the days of the old FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager)/OMM (Oblivion Mod Manager) at the very least. The code Legacy NMM runs on is simply too old to run in these modern computing times. Everything is moving over to HTML5/x64 & NMM needs to be able to support modern code/computing.
acffordyce973 wrote: For a start thanks for replying, didn't expect that, and my apologies for not having time to read everything on the site. That "Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager..." post doesn't fully answer my initial question of "why should we trust in you to not just drop" it again. It answers my second part, in a way (a lot of software available is made on old code bases and improved over the years), but I can see the logic behind wanting to switch to something that's nicer to develop with. What worries me is what you said about previous developers that are "constantly stymied by code that is long past its prime by developers who have long since moved on from the community". I suppose with someone being paid, there shouldn't be much issue with things not getting done in the short term, but what about the long term? If and when a new developer comes along, aren't they just going to face the same issue that's being faced now? Then again, I suppose the same could be said about any project really, but when it's related to games that change every year the people who are working on it may just give in the towel because they don't like the new.

acffordyce973
That "Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager..." post doesn't fully answer my initial question of "why should we trust in you to not just drop" it again.

You answered your own question in the same sentence

acffordyce973
my apologies for not having time to read everything on the site.

"Helix" is a cool word, and it looks good with Nexus.

It means or represents a 3 dimentional strand or chain, I.E a connection.

Games + Mods + Players = Helix.

Edited by phellen

Okay so what does NMM2 intend to do? Catalogue, sort and maintain mods for multiple games. So why not call it The Nexus Librarian. Or The Librarian. I mean sure it reeks of Magic the Gathering but throw it on a clothes line outside for a bit and it will air out.