[LE] Noob papyrus questions

candlepin

@FrankFamily & Masterofnet

Regarding the bickering that the two of you seem be to be doing, please don't get another person's thread locked. Can you two resolve whatever your issue is via private message or something? There is no need for it to bleed over into every post. It makes it difficult for the rest of us who do wish to try and assist. Thank you.

Did you read the thread? Bickering? Did you see me doing any Bickering? Go have at look a the thread. All you will see is Frank going crazy , like he is now. Do you allow people to post misinformation and gibberish without attempting to correct them?

As far as the rest of your post. I got that scripting advice from a programmer, and using his advice has make enormous improvements to my scripts in size and function.

I do see your point in regards to getting the playerref every time you pick up an object( that is in the list BTW ) . However I would do the script exactly like that.

When you define properties outside of an event it makes them persistent within the Papyrus code. The less of that you have the better the code functions.

As far as Frank, Before you comment - read the thread.

Franks Gibberish

https://forums.nexus...a-custom-spell/

Reality

https://forums.nexus...rk-as-intended/

Edited by Masterofnet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me, i don't have any intention to keep arguing with him. Saw this line "Do not define properties outside on an event unless you have to." and thought it might confuse people because it indirectly says you can actually define a property within an event. Then said the getreference within that event is uneficient and added a tiny bit of advice about what i consider more hepful for unexperienced users. Is that wrong? Is that restarting the bickering?

And yes, we could solve that by PM, MasterOfNet you are free to PM if you wish, there's space in my inbox. I've just found the whole thing continued on another thread once the original was locked by (i assume) OP's request. I'd prefer to know i'm being talked about. That said, i believe solving anything with MasterOfNet to be harder than time traveling, given all he does is repeat himself, insult me and say what i say is nonsense without giving any actual argument.

So please, MasterOfNet, i urge you to send me a PM for anything that is not related to the actual thread and stop once and for all derailing people's threads. Lastly i believe, if people read that thread they may get a different image than yours.

As far as the rest of your post. I got that scripting advice from a programmer, and using his advice has make enormous improvements to my scripts in size and function.

I do see your point in regards to getting the playerref every time you pick up an object( that is in the list BTW ) . However I would do the script exactly like that.

When you define properties outside of an event it makes them persistent within the Papyrus code. The less of that you have the better the code functions.

However, the player character is already a persistent object. It can never become more persistent or less persistent. The player is always present and active. Therefore, it is more efficient to use a property to point to them than waste additional resources calling functions on other scripts to obtain what can safely be done with a property.

If you were talking about any other actor or object, I would agree that using GetReference for that alias would be preferable over a property.

Enough MasterOfNet. Get a grip of yourself as you say, the only reality there is your loneliness and resentment; the behaviour on the first thread, you continuous lack of respect. As said, please, PM or stop it. Don't get this thread locked.

However, the player character is already a persistent object. It can never become more persistent or less persistent. The player is always present and active. Therefore, it is more efficient to use a property to point to them than waste additional resources calling functions on other scripts to obtain what can safely be done with a property.

If you were talking about any other actor or object, I would agree that using GetReference for that alias would be preferable over a property.

There is a little more to it than what you are describing. There are differences between making something a property and defining it at run time.

The programmer made it very clear it was better to get the player the way I did in the script.

This may need to be looked into a little further.

Also - Using Actor for the player works just fine. But it adds other functions that are not necessary for adding and removing an item.

Thank your for your information.

Edited by Masterofnet

Enough MasterOfNet. Get a grip of yourself as you say, the only reality there is your loneliness and resentment; the behaviour on the first thread, you continuous lack of respect. As said, please, PM or stop it. Don't get this thread locked.

Frank, You are clearly someone who suffers from mental problems and unfortunately behavioral problems . Anyone who "attempts" to correct Frank is either suffering from "loneliness and resentment" or a "Troll" .

Either placate Frank or he will freakout and get another thread locked.

Get a hold on your mental and behavioral problems and stop forcing them onto other people.

Look at your behavior

https://forums.nexus...a-custom-spell/

Look at reality

https://forums.nexus...rk-as-intended/

Edited by Masterofnet

Let me disagree:

Do not spam (and no post-count padding)

Spam means

[...]

Posting the same thread/post repeatedly in order to gain attention.

Posting something completely off-topic (OT) that has nothing to do with the thread.

No trolling

Trolling is deliberately attempting to goad people into a "flame war" by posting disparaging remarks or comments that you know will incite a negative or nasty response. [...]

Do not flame or flame-bait others

Do not post personally or generally insulting remarks towards someone else, or a group of people (examples include calling someone an "idiot" for having views different to your own or being particularly demeaning to someone who is younger than yourself).