[LE] Noob papyrus questions

candlepin

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much, IsharaMeradin! I now have an initial version of my mod (without the ability to switch new items back to vanilla) working great. Much appreciated.

Now I just have to learn how to add an MCM menu that allows the player to set the global variable to toggle between vanilla->new and new->vanilla. Some sort of toggle in-game would be even nicer (than having to open an MCM menu), but the only other option that I've found would be to create a spell which does this. If someone has a better idea about how to do this than through an MCM menu or via a spell, I'm open to suggestions!

Edited by candlepin

No reason it should have to be actor instead of objectreference if you are not using actor-specific functions. Is the quest running?

The quest was running and I was getting the debug notifications correctly. Switching PlayerRef to Actor instead of ObjectReference fixed the issue.

Update: I've been working on making a spell that will toggle my global variable to allow on-the-fly switching. I made a few magic effect with custom script. I added the magic effect to a new spell and would like to test the spell. When making the spell I clicked the "On PC start" box, hoping that would make the spell available to all starting characters. That was not the case. Could I get some guidance on making the spell available to starting characters?

You need to create an alias that points to the player and then give the spell to the player on that alias record. When that quest starts, the player will be given the spell(s).

An alternative if you want the spells to remain with the character even after the quest stops is to given them via script or let them learn the spell via reading a tome.

You need to create an alias that points to the player and then give the spell to the player on that alias record. When that quest starts, the player will be given the spell(s).

An alternative if you want the spells to remain with the character even after the quest stops is to given them via script or let them learn the spell via reading a tome.

Hi IsharaMeradin; thanks for your reply. Could you be a bit more explicit about how to make such an alias? I assume you mean to add an alias to the quest (the same quest that sets up the basic script).

https://postimg.org/image/bujzj56qz/

Did I add the spell incorrectly? I also tried adding it via a script here and also via the quest script tab, but neither did the trick. There might be something wrong with my spell, though, since I can add it via console command, but it doesn't show up in my spells list.

Edited by candlepin