So.... what are you working on?

Korodic

@Nuska-

It looks really good so far. I especially like the pointed boots, as they give a really exotic flair. I am trying to work in Zbrush more, but I am still new to it and its like learning a new 3d program all over again( because it is)^^. do you have any tips on workflow and sculpting for new users? I have been going through tutorials for days now but its always nice to hear from a real person^^.

-Natterfomre

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a tremendous expert on Zbrush either and everything I know is better explained through Zbrushcentral tutorials, so nothing particularly useful no. :C In general terms though I focus on major forms and sculpt rough until the big picture looks pleasing, add layers, push things around and use DynaMesh a lot. Pushing it until it looks great and readable in around subdiv 2, and only then going into details, with focus on communicating material and weight through the size and depth of folds etc. Reference a lot. Study from life and adapt observations to the sculpt.

It sounds like every drawing class I have ever had XD. Funny how right they turn out to be. I have been noticing significant improvement since I started about 3~4 years ago though I have never taken a sculpting class at university. I have a long way to go but I am having the time of my life ^^.

-Natterforme

• 2 weeks later...

This is an idea I had in my mind for over half a year now. I'm now going to make it come true.

Nordic Cuisine

This is a mod that will add over a 100 of lore friendly recipes and ingredients. It will add fruit, vegetables, nuts, grain, fish, spices, etc. suitable for a Nordic climate and culture, which will allow you to create lots and lots of different dishes. I'm hoping to also implement two features that will set the mod apart from any other. They are - Butchering an animal and a food preparation menu.

Butchering an animal will allow you to, well, butcher an animal, allowing you to collect various cuts of meat. If it's an animal that you can normally eat - then you can butcher it, e.g. cows, deer, horkers (lots and lots of blubber), boars (Dragonborn DLC), wolves, rabbits, and horses. By butchering an animal, you will get cuts like these from it, and these cuts can be "refined" into smaller cuts, like the Chuck of a cow which can be turned into many different pieces as shown on the picture, which can be turned into many different recipes, or the whole chuck can be roasted, etc.

I'm hoping that I can get butchering to work like this, which I think is the best way.

1. You manage to kill a deer and snipe a rabbit dashing past.

2. You walk up to the killed animals and loot the hide and your arrows back.

3. You activate the "lesser power" butcher animal. Now, when you activate the deer, you will now be presented with a dialogue box asking you whether to loot or butcher it. You choose to butcher the deer. The screen fades to black for a few seconds, and when it restores, a couple of hours have passed, the deer is gone, and now you're overencumbered with over 200 units of deer cuts, offal, and bones. You limp up to the rabbit, activate it, and the dialogue box appears again. You choose to butcher it, and since it's quite small, the screen doesn't fade to black to pass the time, you simply grab the whole skinned rabbit with you, and you will also get offal like liver or heart. I might as well make a "Rabbit Hide" item, since it has its uses - you will be able to either turn it into 1 leather at the tanning rack or sell it.

4. You use the lesser power again to deactivate it, so the next animal you try to loot wouldn't present you with the dialogue box.

I think it's a good system. More realistic than simply looting massive pieces of meat immediately on the spot from the body in no time whatsoever. This also gets rid of the animal, because it's not there anymore. You've cut it up and grabbed it with you. I remember a mod for Fallout 3 called Amputate, where if you harvest something, that part of the body is removed. I wish this was implemented in Skyrim, so when you take some mudcrab legs, they get removed from the model. I don't think my system is going to be too hard to implement. It's essentially just a script that passes time, removes the animal, and adds a leveled list to your inventory, which contains the animal stuff.

You manage to get to your camp, although slowly, and now you're thinking of keeping the best cuts for yourself, and selling the rest, which will possibly give you about 150 or so gold - I'm hoping to make hunting a good way to earn money by rebalancing all existing, and food added by this mod to a realistic value. This is where the food preparation menu comes in. It will be activated by clicking a misc item or something. This menu is a dialogue box, similar to many configuration menus other mods have, e.g. Deadly Dragons, Dance of Death, or Frostfall. There will be categories for measuring out the ingredients, e.g. 1 sack of flour down to 4 bowls of flour, because you don't get 1 puny bread loaf from that much flour anymore, but you don't want to make 4, so you split it down, and use 1 bowl of flour to make 1 loaf.

In this case, however, you click the "Animal" category, click on "Deer", and choose the cut. The menu will show what you'll get and how much, and you click OK. You do that to the cuts you want to keep and cook for yourself, and put them away somewhere. You don't have to cut up the rabbit, you can if you want to get rabbit legs, etc.

I'm also going to change salmon fishing - you won't get a steak, you will get a salmon added to the inventory. It's up to you to use the preparation menu to carve it into pieces, or prepare it whole.

Another thing I'm thinking of is moving the recipes to their appropriate places. I will remove the ability to make "Roast X" from the cooking pot, for example, which will only allow you to make stews. However, I don't want to completely stop the player from using different cooking techniques, so 2 misc items will be implemented - Baking Stone and a Cast Iron Skillet. They will be found all over the world, and the baking stone will be craftable from 1 quarried stone at a smelter. These items will allow you to bake and fry/sauté things at the cooking pot. The idea behind this is that there's a source of heat that heats up the cooking pot, so you can use it to heat up the skillet. However, that doesn't mean you can make whatever you want anywhere. For example, the baking stone will only be useful for flatbread, hard tacks, or biscuits, but not for pies since they will need all around heat that the oven provides, not just the hot surface of the baking stone.

This is as far as I managed to develop the ideas in my mind. Right now I'm going to compile a list of foods that will make sense in Skyrim, look at Scandinavian cuisine, and then start to write an in-game book "Cuisine of Skyrim" that will have to be read before the player gets to use the food preparation or butchering abilities.

Edited by Omeletter

Working on Wyrmstooth, a DLC'ish sized quest mod.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4638/wyrmstoothminiposter.jpg

Finished expanding the island for the next version (1.6), added a temperate forest zone, a swamp zone and a glacial zone to the island which was a rather tedious and time-consuming process. Currently cluttering the interiors of two new forts, one I plan on turning into a player home the other will be scripted to be stocked with imperial soldiers somewhere along the questline. Navmeshing over previously navmeshed terrain is going to be a pain so I might as well let off some steam here: gigoidfghkdfjfgkhse1111!!! There, that's slightly better.

The mod is currently available for download, fully voice acted, and should last most players at least 5 hours or more. It's one of those projects I'll be working on from time to time so more changes to come in the future though probably not as significant as planned for 1.6.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25704

While I dream of the day it will become one of those 'hot' files, I fear most players are scared away by quest mods. Anyway, if you played it and liked it that's good enough for me I suppose :-)

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/Images/198325

Working on a player-owned castle. I intend to make a quest for it for the player to kill the owner and take it over. Going to add features to buy like kitchen,cellar,storage room, armory etc plus the ability to hire bards and merchants to come live in your castle, probably going to try to add the ability to throw a party for you friends too :).

Edited by littleork

This is Dunaduan, an involuntary dunmer settlement near the polar mountain after an unfortunate sailing accident. The weather is still default on this screenshot (and no LOD yet either), but the climate gets strange as the quest progresses. It is also cold, in that you take damage when away from fire or the sun, and you get to blow up a Daedric Prince with an atomic bomb.

http://i47.tinypic.com/servr5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone!

I'm working on mod that can organize regular Skyrim followers (both native and those that are added by mods) into groups and give them simple RTS-style orders. I'm trying to get more feedback, suggestions and bugreports. Especially bugreports! :biggrin:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/30578-2-1360431180.jpg

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30578

Please, keep in mind that this is still work in progress, and right now there are some problems with horses, attack orders and UFO compatibility. I hope that this issues will be fixed ASAP.