Gunboat Diplomacy?

Aurielius

It seems we dropped a MOAB / GBU43 (21k of explosive ordinance in one package) on a Afghani tunnel complex used by ISIS. My guess is that the intended alternate audience was North Korea. If we take into consideration the movement of the Carl Vincen battle group it seems as if the ante for this round of nuclear poker has been appreciably raised. To my knowledge every war game outcome of an armed conflict with North Korea ends very badly for Seoul.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the sheer number of artillery tubes within range of Seoul, I don't see any conflict happening, that doesn't leave large parts of the city basically a wasteland......

And Lil Kim is making noises about another nuclear test in the not-so-distant future as well..... That should go over well.

It seems we dropped a MOAB / GBU43 (21k of explosive ordinance in one package) on a Afghani tunnel complex used by ISIS. My guess is that the intended alternate audience was North Korea. If we take into consideration the movement of the Carl Vincen battle group it seems as if the ante for this round of nuclear poker has been appreciably raised. To my knowledge every war game outcome of an armed conflict with North Korea ends very badly for Seoul.

I think you're right, it is all for North Korea, even the Tomahawks in Syria while meeting with the Chinese President. I also think it's a bluff, or at least I would like to believe it's a bluff.

The possibility of sending in seal team 6 to take out Kim has also been floated in the media. To me that seems ridiculous. I think it unlikely you would have reliable Intel for a successful mission, and safely extracting those men would be somewhere between extremely difficult to impossible.

Prior to Trump being elected he said he wanted to be unpredictable in these situations, and that's the script he is following. Where it will lead is anyone's guess.

In my opinion the american government needs to be very careful with handling North Korea. Because Kim Jong Un is not a reasonable Person like the most Leaders of other Statesshould be, but more like a unstable Mind. So even if America would be able to invade North Korea succesfully and kill Kim Jong Un, he would leave no option untried to make his enemys and probably also his own population suffer before he is defeated. A possible historical example for similar behaviour of Dictators before their fall could be the "Nero Befehl" in Nazi Germany before the end of WW2. To be able to deal with North Korea the american Government will have to work together with China and maybe even Russia to have a good enough base of legimentation for their actions.

(exuse my english im unfortunately not a native speaker)

Nothing will happen here. This country is a tornado in a teacup and has been for decades. The power needed to tke out this country militarily would carry over into both China and south Korea. If we have to deal with this through arms there will be so much bloodshed and destruction on both sides, it won't even be funny. The best we can hope for is for the Chinese to become tired of propping this septic tank of a country and the turd who runs it and back a coup or take over the country itself. At least the North Koreans won't be expecting that and they would have to turn their attention away from the south to contend with it. At least then the nukes won't be in the hands of a pint sized time bomb.

Nothing will happen here. This country is a tornado in a teacup and has been for decades. The power needed to tke out this country militarily would carry over into both China and south Korea. If we have to deal with this through arms there will be so much bloodshed and destruction on both sides, it won't even be funny. The best we can hope for is for the Chinese to become tired of propping this septic tank of a country and the turd who runs it and back a coup or take over the country itself. At least the North Koreans won't be expecting that and they would have to turn their attention away from the south to contend with it. At least then the nukes won't be in the hands of a pint sized time bomb.

Really the Chinese Foreign Minister said 9 hours ago that war may be imminent and that there is no wiinners in a war with N Korea.

http://www.rferl.org/a/chinese-fm-says-no-winners-in-nkorea-war/28429546.html

With what is happening in the world I wouldn't be so certain of anything. Especially considering its Kim Jong Un who is in charge in N Korea, not exactly a stable individual. And then there is Trump , thats not a good mix.

Edited by Harbringe

Really the Chinese Foreign Minister said 9 hours ago that war may be imminent and that there is no wiinners in a war with N Korea.

With what is happening in the world I wouldn't be so certain of anything. Especially considering its Kim Jong Un who is in charge in N Korea, not exactly a stable individual. And then there is Trump , thats not a good mix.

I will agree that neither one of them is what I would consider 'stable'.... But, I would like to think that lil kim is WELL aware, that if he actually starts a shooting war, his life is forfeit, and it WILL mean the end of his regime. He simply cannot stand up to the US and S. Korean military. Trouble is, I doubt it would be a 'short' war.... and the body count would be extreme.... and mostly civilians..... A situation best avoided.

However, there comes a time when diplomacy has run its course, and all you are left with is bad choices. I think it was shown over a decade ago, that diplomacy only kicks the can down the road a little further, as kimmy boy is doing exactly what his father, and grandfather before him have done. Be belligerent, get into talks, get some concession, be a good boy for a little while, and then right back to be belligerent. It was worked quite well for them so far...... He has little reason to think anything has really changed. Perhaps that is the message Trump is attempting to send him.... Things HAVE changed......

Personally, instead of invading.... I could see dropping a moab on his state house, when we know he is there, and then NOT invade....... See what happens. Have contingencies in place to deal with his artillery as quickly as possible, should that become an issue.

I will agree that neither one of them is what I would consider 'stable'.... But, I would like to think that lil kim is WELL aware, that if he actually starts a shooting war, his life is forfeit, and it WILL mean the end of his regime. He simply cannot stand up to the US and S. Korean military. Trouble is, I doubt it would be a 'short' war.... and the body count would be extreme.... and mostly civilians..... A situation best avoided.

However, there comes a time when diplomacy has run its course, and all you are left with is bad choices. I think it was shown over a decade ago, that diplomacy only kicks the can down the road a little further, as kimmy boy is doing exactly what his father, and grandfather before him have done. Be belligerent, get into talks, get some concession, be a good boy for a little while, and then right back to be belligerent. It was worked quite well for them so far...... He has little reason to think anything has really changed. Perhaps that is the message Trump is attempting to send him.... Things HAVE changed......

Personally, instead of invading.... I could see dropping a moab on his state house, when we know he is there, and then NOT invade....... See what happens. Have contingencies in place to deal with his artillery as quickly as possible, should that become an issue.

Umm lets remember intel is extremely hard to get on N Korea and if you did decide to take him out , you had better not miss. Cause if your wrong you then have a leader thinking well I'm dead anyway and it will be the people of S Korea and Japan that will suffer the consequences which could be in the millions considering your dealing with someone who has nuclear weapons. The only ones who could legitimately pull it off would be the Chinese and they are still keeping their cards close to their chests on this one.

Yes really. There was a reason that President Trump hit Syria while the Chinese president was setting right beside him at diner. There is also a reason that why President Trump didn't call the Chinese on currency manipulation. And please stop looking at President Trump the way he wants you to look at him. The guy is a master manipulater and has lead people around by their noses for decades. Go read "The Art of The Deal"

The Chinese spoke about both the North Koreans and they spoke to us. From what I've heard the Chinese threatened North Koreans with stopping the import of oil into NK if they didn't cool their jets.

There's more things going on here than just a Carrier task force moving up to the peninsula..

The best thing would be to starve him of fuel. That would pretty much strand him in his tracks.