⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Bethesda and other game companies could take a lesson

Tidus44

I do enjoy playing games on my PC, PS4, Xbox1 and WiiU and play too many. However, I recently got Breath of the Wild for the WiiU and have been blown away. What impressed me most is;

1. Not one crash or failure while playing

2. No stuttering or hesitation

3. Good steady FPS

4. Awesome graphics; no weird shadows or colors

5. Works flawlessly with either controller

6. No glitched quests

7. Main quest is interesting

8. Side quests are interesting and fun to do

9. Puzzles are difficult but fun

10. Skills take practice and are difficult but fun

11. No long, long, long and yet again long loading screens

12. No save game issues (bloat or missing or glitched)

13. NPCs all look different and have personalities

14. NPCs have extensive conversations

15. No NPCs with repetitive stupid comments

16. RPG elements as well as action and adventure

17. 360 square miles of open (and actually open) world to explore and enjoy

18. The game doesn’t get boring or end in a few hours

19. No quest markers and no “lead by the hand to exactly where you must go” on quests

20. Combat is complex and has various moves for attack and defense

21. Weapons are varied and do what they are supposed to do

22. Crafting is interesting and fun and experimental

23. Money means something and is useful

24. Armor and clothing mean something besides something to wear

25. Upgrading clothing and armor is beneficial

I could go on, (and on and on) but the game is phenomenally well done and entirely fun to play from every aspect one can think of when looking for a great action and adventure RPG game. The only thing missing is mods, but the only mod I think the game needs (if it were possible to mod a Nintendo game) is one where you can decorate the house you buy; but the vanilla house is better than the ones in other games because at least things stay where they are placed.

So disappointing to see game developers and publishers putting out mediocre games. From what I see, Nintendo is the GOLD standard in games and all the others have a huge amount of work to do to catch up.

Many game issues come not as the fault of game developers and publishers, but by the consumers themselves. Are any of the games that you mentioned moddable? That's where the trouble starts. People buy these games, run them back home and then install 50, or more, mods that reprograms the games in a manor not meant to be by the programmers. Then these self-same consumers blame the developers and programmers for making a shoddy product in stead of themselves for reprogramming the product to the point of no longer working. If I've seen it once I've seen it a thousand times.

The Rabbit

I wouldn't say that Breath of the Wild is amazing in the graphics/visual department. It has an incredible art style, but it does have numerous graphical shortcomings due to the poor hardware it runs on. In addition to that, the framerate is far from perfect - so I wouldn't say it's something to brag about either. I won't comment on the rest as I actually haven't played the game - just watched tech analysis' of it from Digital Foundry.

I'm not a fan of Zelda, but when you compare it to Skyrim or Fallout 4 (both are half-finished games with crappy code) I got to admit it blows them clean out of the water as a game.

It's more of a finished product despite my hate for everything Zelda.

Edited by Luj1

I don't think it's fair to compare a game like Breath of the Wild to that of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series, but I will concede that Bethesda is very lazy and has obviously no problem in releasing buggy messes. It's not super great when a game requires mods to make it awesome.

Edited by Skagens

Stupid Npc comments ugh, annoying. I've said it once I'll say it again.

To me, I don't care what you think. Theres always gonna be some 'crappy code' problems in a game this big. But yes I agree when you said bethesda is getting lazy.

Edited by lelplepstrells

I don't think it's fair to compare a game like Breath of the Wild to that of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series, but I will concede that Bethesda is very lazy and has obviously no problem in releasing buggy messes. It's not super great when a game requires mods to make it awesome.

I wonder why it is unfair to compare Breath of the Wild to the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series games?

I wonder why it is unfair to compare Breath of the Wild to the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series games?

Because even though they might fall in the same genre, Skyrim and Fallout has more of a game in terms if content IMO (I haven't played BotW but I've seen gameplay footage). It has more quests, more characters, more gameplay, more content basically. They might be the same game in terms of genre but they are very different as a whole. So when you compare the two and say "Hey, why isn't this like this instead", I would argue it isn't really fair because of these reasons.

IT isn't unfair. Beth releases games that are less and less polished due to lack of time and personnel. Hopefully, the new people they are hiring will help make next games better.

Anyway, beth gets a pass cause fans and mods. Their games don't stand out much otherwise.