⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Bethesda and other game companies could take a lesson

Tidus44

I don't think it's fair to compare a game like Breath of the Wild to that of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series, but I will concede that Bethesda is very lazy and has obviously no problem in releasing buggy messes. It's not super great when a game requires mods to make it awesome.

I wonder why it is unfair to compare Breath of the Wild to the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series games?

IT isn't unfair. Beth releases games that are less and less polished due to lack of time and personnel. Hopefully, the new people they are hiring will help make next games better.

Anyway, beth gets a pass cause fans and mods. Their games don't stand out much otherwise.

I already said that I agree that Beth are lazy and have a habit of releasing games before they're finished, resulting in unpolished and buggy games. The games fall in the same genre but they are far off from being closely the same. I was just pointing out that I feel it's a little unfair to compare the two because IMO the Fallout and Skyrim series has MORE content, more stuff in them. And when games have more content there are a bigger chance for bugs and glitches somewhere. That being said, I do hope they improve in the future because modders shouldn't have to do their job for them.

The game skeleton is the same, regardless of the flavour meat on it. Just like Mad Max, Division, sleeping Dogs etc. follow another sandbox skeleton style. It gets repetitive due to them trying to follow the same formula and trying to please everyone and their dog.

I don't think it's fair to compare a game like Breath of the Wild to that of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series, but I will concede that Bethesda is very lazy and has obviously no problem in releasing buggy messes. It's not super great when a game requires mods to make it awesome.

I wonder why it is unfair to compare Breath of the Wild to the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series games?

Because even though they might fall in the same genre, Skyrim and Fallout has more of a game in terms if content IMO (I haven't played BotW but I've seen gameplay footage). It has more quests, more characters, more gameplay, more content basically. They might be the same game in terms of genre but they are very different as a whole. So when you compare the two and say "Hey, why isn't this like this instead", I would argue it isn't really fair because of these reasons.

So, if one game has more content than another game of the same genre, it permits developers and publishers to release the game with numerous problems? I don't follow the reasoning.

While admittedly there is a greater chance for technical error in a game with more content, that doesn't mean there cannot be comparisons between the quality of the content. Having the same activity in a game over and over again just so the game can be said to have a large amount of content (Skyrim and the repetitive Thieves Guild quests to become Guild Master is an example) shouldn't limit the comparison of quality of content.

As for the games being "different", I don't follow what that means. While games of the same genre have different stories and have different quests, they are still the same genre and should have the same elements involved. And in my mind the content should be interesting, fun and present some challenge to the player. While I have enjoyed and do enjoy playing pretty much all games I own, it was much more enjoyable playing those that had a much better quality of content than quantity.

I never said it permits the publishers and developers to release bad products, but i don't think its reasonable to expect it to be flawless. Games with more quests and stories, basically content overall has a higher risk of being buggy and glitchy. Bethesda could have done a much better job in attending to the faults, I'm not denying that. I'm not even trying to defend them, but I can understand somewhat. I can see both games for what they are, but even though they may fall in the same genre, I would argue they are very different overall.

That said, I do hope Bethesda improve on their games in the future, but I'm not going to be so foolish as to not expect any bugs. I prefer games that have a good balance of both quality and quantity.

I never said it permits the publishers and developers to release bad products, but i don't think its reasonable to expect it to be flawless. Games with more quests and stories, basically content overall has a higher risk of being buggy and glitchy. Bethesda could have done a much better job in attending to the faults, I'm not denying that. I'm not even trying to defend them, but I can understand somewhat. I can see both games for what they are, but even though they may fall in the same genre, I would argue they are very different overall.

That said, I do hope Bethesda improve on their games in the future, but I'm not going to be so foolish as to not expect any bugs. I prefer games that have a good balance of both quality and quantity.

In my personal opinion, Bethesda has always focused more on quantity than quality.

Thats right. Copy pasting the same forest for 400 square miles (i.e. Skyrim) can't beat hand placed content like Morrowind or even BotW

It started with forest-generating algorithms in Oblivion.

Edited by Luj1

There's nothing wrong with that. Just as long as you keep in mind Beth's games are not much different from the other games in the same category, and no, there's nothing special about them.

Elderscroll games are more of sandbox open world RPG where you play your character and LoZ is story driven RPG where you play Nintendos character. that is why you cant compare them gameplay wise, they are different types of RPG. quality wise though they can be compared and every single LoZ game made even my least favorite (Skyward Sword) beats Skyrim in that category.

A few points:

1) Most of the things you mention are either subjective biased opinions or wrong sbsolute statements founded on the generalization of a limited personal experience. As an example, the game does have bugs, as every game ever developed, it surely has less bugs than the average Bethesda game.

2) Bethesda and Nintendo are NOT comparable companies.

3) I do agree on some of your points, like quest markers or hand-holding quests.

4) Regarding point nº15, the arrow to the knee is epic. Does Nintendo have such a meme?

5) Point 18... What year was Skyrim released again? How much people still actively play Skyrim?... Odd point to make.

4) Regarding point nº15, the arrow to the knee is epic. Does Nintendo have such a meme?

to be honest "Arrow in the knee" is only a meme due to most not knowing what it means. Nintendo does have an equally good meme in LoZ:

http://sf.co.ua/13/01/wallpaper-2599649.jpg