Your Chance to Rant about Entitled Mod Users for FO4

Fkemman11

I also feel the mod author population is being saturated with actual developers, which is raising standards and expectations of users.

As a new mod creator, I did not expect to have any "peeves" about users. Well ....

Why do people feel compelled to make comments about a mod which the haven't downloaded? Especially after looking at the pretty pictures and not bothering to read the description.

This is what gets me the most.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should you even get annoyed by the comments?

It's your mod and you are in the control of it. If you don't like someone's comment, delete it. If you don't like some user altogether, block him.

Your mod page enables you to be a dictator. :)

Why should you even get annoyed by the comments?

It's your mod and you are in the control of it. If you don't like someone's comment, delete it. If you don't like some user altogether, block him.

Your mod page enables you to be a dictator. :smile:

It's not as simple as that.

I have been modding for a long time and still get cheesed when someone comes along spouting rubbish! This is because of the amount of time, effort and support I give my mods.

As for being a Dictator, well historically that never ends well! What you really want to be is a Benevolent OVERLORD! This way you still retain tight control but, people aren't lining up to take a shot at you. :devil:

Certainly haven't been here a really long time, but I'd bet a lot of the "rudeness" is simply out of frustration. I was always a "find out for myself" kind of guy, so I'm always hesitant to ask questions, but I've experienced a friend's frustration (or sadness really) as a 200+ save got ruined. I've never been afraid of publishing mods because of this "rudeness." Just have a hidden fear that I'm doing it all wrong with every mod I make for myself haha.

anonymity + fear of loosing "valuable" game saves - any basic knowledge of how mods function - self restraint = some petty and rude mod users.

things like NMM or MO and LOOT make using mods basically idiot proof. It also takes any visibility of the "under the hood" process out of the perception of the user so he doesn't understand a few basic things like why two mods might conflict or what his load order should look like or the risks of using a WIP mod. This coupled with the fact that there are very few consequences to berating someone on the internet when you get mad and the fact that some users seem to view their saves as hella important and get made when they loose them probably leads to alot of heated comments.

Think of it like this. Guy downloads mod, starts up fallout 4 and his save just shits the bed. Now this guy has no idea how anything works so his natural assumption is Mod Author X f*#@ed my save up. He posts some comment about the mod breaking his game and the Mod author, understandably, takes this comment the wrong (or right?) way and responds accordingly. Thus you have a heated exchange and probably just spirals out of control from there.

Not saying NMM, MO or LOOT are bad tools or causing this problem. Those are all great tools and make using mods alot easier. I just think they maybe made modding easier for people who aren't necessarily aware of things they should be and that ignorance can sometimes lead to the harassment/heated exchanges we sometimes see.

things like NMM or MO and LOOT make using mods basically idiot proof.

things like NMM or MO and LOOT give the illusion that using mods is basically idiot proof.

a quick look at any LOOT generated load order in FO4edit will show plenty of conflicts that would benefit from patches.

things like NMM or MO and LOOT make using mods basically idiot proof.

things like NMM or MO and LOOT give the illusion that using mods is basically idiot proof.

a quick look at any LOOT generated load order in FO4edit will show plenty of conflicts that would benefit from patches.

Yeah that is probably a better way to put it.

I basically only run loot if there appears to be an issue with my load order that I cant figure out myself as that sometimes fixes my problem. More often than not after running loot I still have to fiddle with LO though. I guess the point still stands. Some users install a mod and if there game gets messed up they run loot thinking it will "fix" it and when it doesnt they blame the mod/mod author as the only "reasonable" cause of the problem since they don't really know any better.

I am a newbie to this sort of thing. I bought a subscription, had brief success playing Fallout 4 using mods. It crashed, I never had much luck with clothing and skin textures. They ended in patchwork people that reminded me of an old Star Trek episode. I like the Vaultec clothing and the idea of mods. I don't blame others for my lack of understanding how to get mods to work. I left the game playing for 6 months or so and now have decided to give it another go. I tried many apps so here we go again.