What makes character to move?

Hayk94

Hey people can anyone tell me what makes a character to go forward for example. I mean is that related to animations or something must be done in CK? I looked into some animations for example moving animations for human races, they are walking by standing in the same place don't go forward or back, so what makes them to go forward ingame with exact animation?

That is handled by the engine, you can't mess with it. The animation plays and the character moves ahead at a speed defined by a variable. The animation isn't moving the character, it just looks like it.

That is handled by the engine, you can't mess with it. The animation plays and the character moves ahead at a speed defined by a variable. The animation isn't moving the character, it just looks like it.

It should still be the walking animation that translates the actors root node. the locomotion anims used to be all animate in motion. Unless they changed that...

It should still be the walking animation that translates the actors root node. the locomotion anims used to be all animate in motion. Unless they changed that...

Oh. Right. My bad.

The ultimate question is what you are trying to do.

I believe that Skyrim has a new function which allows the AI to control the player briefly and is used in some situations, like the prologue. If you're trying to make the player move in a scripted way through an environment, that may be an option.

The ultimate question is what you are trying to do.

I believe that Skyrim has a new function which allows the AI to control the player briefly and is used in some situations, like the prologue. If you're trying to make the player move in a scripted way through an environment, that may be an option.

I am trying to make playable dragon mod, Even though many people have made it but none of them has succeeded with flying and no one has got as far as I. You can check it out here. Weredragon

Right now the problem is that playable dragon takesoff the land succesfully but it freezes in the skies the controls are still usable for example you can shout however it won't go forward even if player is ai driven.

By the way Saiden from Niftools team answered to this question and he said that Behaviors and MovT data makes the movement. However I don't know how to edit these behaviors, Havok tools is needed for that, but they are not free. So maybe somebody knows about some free tools which are able to edit these behaviors or maybe somebody knows another way to make the character to move without Havok?

I don't think that would do what you want since animations themselves do not translate an actor in the actual space.

What you might actually want to take a look at is how the game manages the crash landing part of dragons. From what I noticed, this does seem to move the actor through space on a fixed path even if there happens to be a cliff face in the way.

I am trying to make playable dragon mod, Even though many people have made it but none of them has succeeded with flying and no one has got as far as I. You can check it out here. Weredragon

Right now the problem is that playable dragon takesoff the land succesfully but it freezes in the skies the controls are still usable for example you can shout however it won't go forward even if player is ai driven.

By the way Saiden from Niftools team answered to this question and he said that Behaviors and MovT data makes the movement. However I don't know how to edit these behaviors, Havok tools is needed for that, but they are not free. So maybe somebody knows about some free tools which are able to edit these behaviors or maybe somebody knows another way to make the character to move without Havok?

This is a great undertaking, and I wish you all possible success. But quite frankly, I doubt that it's doable. At least in the near future.

In Oblivion the base movement speed is defined by the animation, scaled by the frequency parameter, which is modified in-game based on the characters stats.

In Skyrim it's different. Movement animations stay in place, no advance of the actor's root bone. So all advancements have to be stored in the animation graphs, hidden in the game behavior files. And until someone cracks their contents, we have no chance.

And until then you will not be able to make a 1st person behavior which fits to a dragon, it will always be the behavior of the actor class which you copied it from: (humanoid) characters.