Paid Mods return at E3 2017

deadblood01

Betty with this announcement imho wanted to deal a colossal blow to the nexus and in general to the modding community by at least inplicitly saying that, if there is a cake of content out there in witch "we"(betty) can get payed they wanna a piece of it.

That being said, i didn't quite get the payment method of said mods, and all stays in this.

Do they pay well for professional mods?

The announcement said "Only original content", i dunno, this shouldn't in fact piss off the actual professional modder who worked so hard in these years for original content (now they can't offer it in the creation club, since existent mod aren't accepted)?

Or, they just say that to punish and lure (like sith lords) like, "Untill now you worked for free, keep your ideas to yourself and join the darkside of the force".

I'm confused, something here smells fishy :dry:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, actually the dark side is those that oppose to this with fear and hatred because as Yoda taught us: "Fear is the path of the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Yeah, reddit and youtube must be full of Siths at the moment.

Betty with this announcement imho wanted to deal a colossal blow to the nexus and in general to the modding community by at least inplicitly saying that, if there is a cake of content out there in witch "we"(betty) can get payed they wanna a piece of it.

"Betty"/Zen has a multi-million dollar gaming business. Paid mods may be an asset to them commercially, but it is certainly not their bread and butter, not by a long shot.

They are not doing anything to the modding community, MAs, Nexus, nor end-users. They offer the community's content creators an opportunity to go professional and the end-users have more choices when it comes to adding content to their gaming experience.

This will apply to a few modders, not the masses. Yes, you may have to pay for a future Enderal type DLC, but I'll wager most paid assets taken on by Bethesda will be more simple--a really cool and unique weapon or armor for instance; at least to start with. It looks like, at least according to their brief statement, that they will also be contributing content within the CC umbrella. There is nothing wrong or scary about some of our modders trying to get or actually getting a job with Beth.

~

They aren't doing anything, but tell that to the doomsayers.

I'm trying to....lol

Really don't want to see a MA beat-down like the one that occurred in 2015. I was brand new to the modding community then and remember how shockingly ugly it got. Wrong thing for "the community" to do to the very creators of said community.

It boils down to trust and people don't have much for Bethesda given the past couple years of shady s#*! they pulled. We saw a horrible paid mods system on steam, anti-consumer practices with their review copy policy and shoddy pricing in other countries. As a consumer I feel like I have to be blunt and voice my opinion on this matter as much as possible because the only person who will stick up for me is... me and the worst case scenario is Bethesda walks out with all the good modders and the nexus becomes a shell of its former self. If that happens you think the nexus will see great mods like it does now? Modders won't bother simply because they won't have enough time. Then there is the reality that we will most likely see $3 swords and armor (it was basically in the e3 conference) litter the creation club and driving down the overall quality that should have gone up with paid mods. The implications of this aren't concerning Skyrim or FO4, its the future ES/FO games that are the target of this and it will drive up the costs for many who buy new hardware just for this game.

Don't get me wrong I love this community and appreciate the people who took the time to create great fan made content but like I said the only person who will stick up for me is me.

It boils down to trust and people don't have much for Bethesda given the past couple years of shady s*** they pulled. We saw a horrible paid mods system on steam, anti-consumer practices with their review copy policy and shoddy pricing in other countries. As a consumer I feel like I have to be blunt and voice my opinion on this matter as much as possible because the only person who will stick up for me is... me and the worst case scenario is Bethesda walks out with all the good modders and the nexus becomes a shell of its former self. If that happens you think the nexus will see great mods like it does now? Modders won't bother simply because they won't have enough time. Then there is the reality that we will most likely see $3 swords and armor (it was basically in the e3 conference) litter the creation club and driving down the overall quality that should have gone up with paid mods. The implications of this aren't concerning Skyrim or FO4, its the future ES/FO games that are the target of this and it will drive up the costs for many who buy new hardware just for this game.

Don't get me wrong I love this community and appreciate the people who took the time to create great fan made content but like I said the only person who will stick up for me is me.

This is going to be my last post for the night, and CosmicArrow I'm not attacking you, just using your post as an example.

From a modders view: What about that announcement has yall thinking "all the good modders" will quit making mods?

And if you spent days, weeks, months or even years working on a mod and your two choice were get a little money back for my time or post this and maybe someone will say "Thank You" which route would you take?

Not just that but the smarter and more experienced people around here all saying it's not going to play out like that anyway.

Another popular theory is this is just Beth's way of circumventing Sony's requirements so they can make some money off the console crowd. There's also the realities that this is a multi million dollar company they are not going to just let anyone with a mod or idea join their "Club" maybe no individuals will be allowed in at all, it may just be small companies and start ups (read other licensed business).

But my point is almost everyone is bitching about the modders leaving to get paid, goodness, do yall not see how that sounds to anyone who has put their time and energy and into a mod and uploaded here? Were the bad guys because someone is offering us a chance to make money off our work? Maybe something for (those lucky enough) that could turn into a career doing what they love.

Anyway I swear I'm not attacking you CosmicArrow or anyone in particular I just think while yall vent your fears and frustrations people should choose their words more carefully and remember that 99.99 percent of the modders here are also gamers and we all use each other's mods and like free stuff to, were all in this together.

Edited to correct wording error.

Edited by Glass1411

Yeah, reddit and youtube must be full of Siths at the moment.

/r/Fallout is literally fuming red, short of revolt and possibly a consumer class-action suit. Not so much in /r/skyrimmods.

Edited by sa547

This whole thing stinks to me as a way of getting extra labor working on their shoddily-built products on the cheap and a way to milk more out of their games in the future. The example mods they showcased seemed really overpriced compared to the content offered, and they seem like things that would have been rolled into a major expansion once upon a time. I get the feeling that this system will be an excuse to put out fewer of much smaller major expansion packs in the future, and instead we would be forced to get them all piecemeal for significantly more than what we would pay for in today's system. For example, if Skyrim had this since launch, we would not have gotten Dawnguard as it is, but rather $20 Dawnguard + 5$ Horse Combat DLC + $5 Dragon Weapons DLC, +$5 Arrow Making DLC.

As for the Modders, I feel like you should by all means be allowed to get some return off the investment of the time and energy you put into your work, but I caution you into entering into any agreements through this system. They may just use this community as a little content creator ghetto rather than a springboard into hiring you fully. I know it says you will be treated the same as other employees, but that statement is very vague and says nothing about the pay being equitable for efforts expended. You could very well be walking into a dead-end job that provides no contacts for furthering your career, and there is also a risk that there will be non-compete clauses in any agreements made that could seriously hamper you if you decide you want out. This is the business side of things we're talking about here. The end-all-be-all is that bottom line, and anything in service of it is acceptable.

Edited by AeonTheHermit