Paid Mods return at E3 2017

deadblood01

2. Speculations and nonsense.

While it is a speculation, that mod will be bigger then what we have till the present, bigger then the Bethesda own DLC, I simply cant see that Beth didnt think about getting a cut out of it, and while would be nice for the modders behind that DLC (and also modders who made nice content in the past) to get paid for their long work, I doubt will be anything equitable for them, it wont surprise me if Beth in the end will get a 98/2 cut out of any mods ppl will create for CC. Also while I enjoy Beth games (TES / FO) I mistrust them more then I trust EA, and that say a lot, for me this is still an attempt to take over the modding community and turn it into a cash grab and kill whatever is left behind (well at lest after the CC, i bet that adult modding will florish since wont have any chance in CC).

And let say this does become a thing, do you really expect them on the next TES or FO games to release any decent Creation Kit? they will release a mediocre version or nothing at all, so it wont jeopardise any CC for further games.

One thing is certain, is time to backup crucial mods, I'm sure that skilled mod authors that will move on CC will be asked to take down all their past content in any agreement they will get with Beth

And who knows, even if this will be the end of TES / FO modding, there is still hope that CD Project will use a damn user friendly engine in the future and will release proper creation kit for it, it would be a free spot on the table for anyone to grab, and not any spot, the best spot on the table that will win the modding community behind it.

Edit: and I personally would have loved to see that mod become an official expansion, if Beth would have contacted the team behind the mod, offering them full staff support (animators, voice actors, writers, everything) and then sell it as an expansion and not a DLC (I hate dlc's, i still miss the old expansion era), but thats just me, the marketing at Beth is s**t who cant figure a simple idea, even if you hang it in front of them.

Edited by dovlecel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forums are made to speculates on things.

Anyway in the end we will see if modding for talented author is worth for them or for Beth, and something tells me is worth for Bethesda. (Just like it has been for free modder untill now) :tongue:

~

I played without any mods for almost the full 20 hours I can bear that boring heap of shite. It crashed twice. I suggest you get your stuff together. Anyway, your comments is completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

Of course Skyrim runs great never any issues ever ..my mistake.. Unrelated got it.. again my mistake.. Stuff together got it ...please guild me oh Oracle of knowledge my life is in shambles. Comments unrelated got it..next time I'll ask you before I post to make sure it is ok.

The way it's described on Bethesda's site makes me really hopeful. Sounds more like an actual job (freelance, but a job nonetheless), instead of having to be hopeful to make some cash from a small part of the profits (especially if it comes down to things like "if it sells X copies, then you get paid").

While I can see why some people would like to get paid per sold copy, remember that you might get a "normal salary" for the work you do, instead of maybe getting 25c per sold copy of your amazing mod that gets 100 downloads, because people think it's too expensive (whether or not it is, compared to the work put into it).

It's the main reason I moved away from freelance work. Too many people want to only pay you a cut of the profits per sold copy of, for example, a book that features a picture you've made, instead of paying you for the time it took to make the picture in question. Along with any changes they wanted done and so on (which obviously were supposed to be free as well). That's also the main difference between the "paid mod scandal" and the Creation Club. In the "paid mod scandal" people got a cut of the profits per sold copy, instead of being paid for the work they put into it, which is why we saw a slightly bent iron sword being sold for $100. This time the slightly bent iron sword would probably be more along the lines of $0.50 - $1 (granted, I really hope that anyone who gets accepted has to do a bit more than just bend a sword, but you hopefully get my point).

Will this mean that we will never again have any good and/or big mods that are also free? I doubt it. There's still a lot of people who want to release a lot of what they do for free. Just look at all the CC (Creative Commons) stuff that gets released every day. Everyone needs to calm down and carry on until we actually see what's in the Creation Club. Who knows, maybe it's going to be nothing but reskins of mudcrabs and mirelurks? (And horse armor. Gotta have some of that elven horse armor on Shadowmere.)

Simple really when was the last time you tried to play a completely unaltered game of skyrim on PC? It is all but unplayable and no fun...why it crashes every 2 minutes. First thing most do if you want to play that is ..is the Sheson's memory patch right? So a playable and enjoyable game on PC requires other peoples work should they not be paid? Example..

Not long ago I installed a fresh game from Steam on a different computer thought I would play vanilla "nostalgia reasons" it is almost impossible to play and enjoy. Can't even fathom modding without it a memory patch.. get it now?

It is through some real talented people that made Skyrim successful it would not be where it is today without them.

Currently playing a more or less unmodded game. Added USLEEP after ~100h (because I didn't want 4 different versions of Drain Vitality in my shoutlist anymore), had 6-7 CTDs so far. 2 of them after I installed USLEEP. I didn't even know there were any memory patches to the game, I've never had to install one. The game really isn't unplayable vanilla, and especially not nowadays.

I am genuinely surprised someone could be optimistic about this. You are going to be competing with uni students, people living in the 3rd world in a curated system controlled by Bethesda. Percentage share of the profit was a far better option, there were people standing to make thousands in the first days of the previous system. It's like all the downsides of the dota2 workshop with no guarantee the work you start will be accepted, no job stability etc, with none of the good sides like actually making money from sales of your product. The result of this will be Bethesda paying people maybe a few thousand dollars for hundreds of hours of work, meaning they are working far below any minimum wage and then selling millions of copies for millions of dollars. It's disgraceful "gig economy" tactics.

I mean in all seriousness, do you think Bethesda is going to pay someone a few thousand if they don't think it will sell? Of course not. The only way this works is if they know they are coming out ahead, so basically you are participating in a system where at minimum you are losing out a bit because your mod doesn't sell that well and you got paid anyway (and goodbye to future work), or losing out a lot because you got paid a pittance and the mod sold millions of copies.

Seriously screw Bethesda and their corporate greed. They know they can exploit people around the world, skirting any kind of minimum wage and labor laws to produce micro-transaction content for their games.

I also worry that this is going to end with the community imploding again like it did with Steam Workshop. Losing authors to the industry is one thing, but having people quit the scene over harassment is kinda worse.

This is a concern for me as well. As to the "Creation Club," (ugh... surely they could have come up with a better name.. ), my feelings, as I expressed earlier, are mixed and very wary, that caution amplified by the fact that I do NOT, on any level, trust Bethesda. Anyone who does needs to take a serious look at their track record; you don't need to be prone to conspiracy theories or paranoia to question Bethesda's ultimate motivation.

However.... like you, I feel the potential impact on the community is, in many ways, a bigger concern. Last time around there was a great deal of utterly appalling behaviour from all sides. On one hand, we had certain modders taunting people from behind a paywall, and far, far worse... we had not only the predictable juvenile tantrums from users, but death threats being issued against those modders who got on board.

I don't think I've ever been as disgusted by a group of people anywhere.

Let us hope everyone has learned something, and that we all attempt to temper our reactions... Nexus, flaws, variations and all, is an extraordinary creative hub and "home" to some of the most talented individuals I've ever encountered... It would be an extreme shame for something like this to rip it apart again.

Edited by Sonja