Paid Mods return at E3 2017

deadblood01

I would like to think Bethesda has good intentions but I have my doubts. it seems very complicated what about mods with dependencies? What about many of the mods that require SKSE and FNIS? I see this turning into crap storm of lawsuits and more people leaving and/or quitting the mod community again :sad:

What about them? Do you really think that inhouse content will require any of those?

Who really knows but who in the PC world has not benefited by using SKSE?

I fail to see the connection here. If they need functions to make the DLC content work they will be added as an update, or there will be ways found around it.

Simple really when was the last time you tried to play a completely unaltered game of skyrim on PC? It is all but unplayable and no fun...why it crashes every 2 minutes. First thing most do if you want to play that is ..is the Sheson's memory patch right? So a playable and enjoyable game on PC requires other peoples work should they not be paid? Example..

Not long ago I installed a fresh game from Steam on a different computer thought I would play vanilla "nostalgia reasons" it is almost impossible to play and enjoy. Can't even fathom modding without it a memory patch.. get it now?

It is through some real talented people that made Skyrim successful it would not be where it is today without them.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~

I played without any mods for almost the full 20 hours I can bear that boring heap of shite. It crashed twice. I suggest you get your stuff together. Anyway, your comments is completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

I read that this ingame store will only be offered to SE, so I really have no dog in this fight.

My only concern would be the additional background programs and bandwidth. I play MMO's with Ingame stores and they do have impact on overall performance, particularly the background programs (crap like awesomiumprocess). I really really would not like to see "NEW CONTENT AT CREATION CLUB" spammed during load screens along with the "buy credits now" button.

From my experience with Ingame stores there won't really be gamechangers. Cosmetic fluff, seasonal Fluff, "Backpack of the Month" stuff, etc. Cheap Microtransactions. (EQ2 player created store https://www.everquest2.com/player-studio is a prime example, they have sold "curated" player created fluff for years) I wouldn't be holding breath for DLC sized content. I doubt there will be any mods allowed with interdependencies. I also suspect that "original" will mean no modifications of existing game resources, for example retextures for Beth meshes or kitbashed Beth meshes, and along with that I can't see companies like CDProjektRed allowing "for profit" use of their assets. I also expect that any offerings will comply with ESRB.

As I said, I'm happy with LE and happy playing offline. I'm fine with browsing a separate mod resource (I don't use Steam Workshop).

Target Market = Console users and my sky isn't falling. I don't really need to buy a hot pink and chrome shortsword.

This may be an opportunity for some. Great. Good Luck. Just remember you are going to be an asset supplier contracting to a public retailer who will have the final say on content. If the constraints inherent to that do not bother you, I wish people the best.

Bottom line.. this isn't modding by my definition. Relax. There will be continued need for a site like Nexus and Mod Authors that actually "modify" the games.

I'll use the EQ2 example again. I can buy scores of cosmetic chairs from EQ2 Player Studio.. but.. since they don't allow "Mods" none of my characters will ever be able to sit in one.

Edited by TeofaTsavo

The way it's described on Bethesda's site makes me really hopeful. Sounds more like an actual job (freelance, but a job nonetheless), instead of having to be hopeful to make some cash from a small part of the profits (especially if it comes down to things like "if it sells X copies, then you get paid").

While I can see why some people would like to get paid per sold copy, remember that you might get a "normal salary" for the work you do, instead of maybe getting 25c per sold copy of your amazing mod that gets 100 downloads, because people think it's too expensive (whether or not it is, compared to the work put into it).

It's the main reason I moved away from freelance work. Too many people want to only pay you a cut of the profits per sold copy of, for example, a book that features a picture you've made, instead of paying you for the time it took to make the picture in question. Along with any changes they wanted done and so on (which obviously were supposed to be free as well). That's also the main difference between the "paid mod scandal" and the Creation Club. In the "paid mod scandal" people got a cut of the profits per sold copy, instead of being paid for the work they put into it, which is why we saw a slightly bent iron sword being sold for $100. This time the slightly bent iron sword would probably be more along the lines of $0.50 - $1 (granted, I really hope that anyone who gets accepted has to do a bit more than just bend a sword, but you hopefully get my point).

Will this mean that we will never again have any good and/or big mods that are also free? I doubt it. There's still a lot of people who want to release a lot of what they do for free. Just look at all the CC (Creative Commons) stuff that gets released every day. Everyone needs to calm down and carry on until we actually see what's in the Creation Club. Who knows, maybe it's going to be nothing but reskins of mudcrabs and mirelurks? (And horse armor. Gotta have some of that elven horse armor on Shadowmere.)

Simple really when was the last time you tried to play a completely unaltered game of skyrim on PC? It is all but unplayable and no fun...why it crashes every 2 minutes. First thing most do if you want to play that is ..is the Sheson's memory patch right? So a playable and enjoyable game on PC requires other peoples work should they not be paid? Example..

Not long ago I installed a fresh game from Steam on a different computer thought I would play vanilla "nostalgia reasons" it is almost impossible to play and enjoy. Can't even fathom modding without it a memory patch.. get it now?

It is through some real talented people that made Skyrim successful it would not be where it is today without them.

Currently playing a more or less unmodded game. Added USLEEP after ~100h (because I didn't want 4 different versions of Drain Vitality in my shoutlist anymore), had 6-7 CTDs so far. 2 of them after I installed USLEEP. I didn't even know there were any memory patches to the game, I've never had to install one. The game really isn't unplayable vanilla, and especially not nowadays.

I have 2 big concerns.

- that Bethesda will force any modder who join the CC will be forbidden by contract to share his creation on any other 3rd party,

- and probably the most expected mod that already received free publicity Beyond Skyrim will be canceled for the free modding community and moved behind the paywall from CC, or at least I'm 100% sure that ppl at Bethesda will at least try to bribe the guys behind that mod and have it on CC instead of a free release.

I have 2 big concerns.

- that Bethesda will force any modder who join the CC will be forbidden by contract to share his creation on any other 3rd party,

- and probably the most expected mod that already received free publicity Beyond Skyrim will be canceled for the free modding community and moved behind the paywall from CC, or at least I'm 100% sure that ppl at Bethesda will at least try to bribe the guys behind that mod and have it on CC instead of a free release.

1. Obviously. If the made content is to be treated same way as a DLC, that includes not being offered for free.

2. Speculations and nonsense.