Creation Club Summer 2017

N7R

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So finally at the end even when steam and Bethesda were taking respectively 45% and 30% leaving 25% to modders it was a far better deal for modders in the event they make a very successful mod that get a 200,000,00 sales figure!

Now it is going to be something like here 500$ for 6 month of work! loool

Why would they pay you that much even? Naa I bet the most people like me and you can hope for is a small royalty, a few cent's per download or less, or like I said earlier access to a game or DLC in exchange for full rights to our work. Personally even if it were a fraction of a penny per download I'd take it, it could eventually add up enough to buy a cup of coffee. :laugh:

That give me a good laugh and for free!

Haha I don't about you, but I can't afford to walk into a Starbucks much less buy anything there so hey...don't disparage the Coffee!!!

Maybe we should pay bethesda to make mods after all! :laugh:

It was my understanding of the FAQ that Bethesda would pay a standard rate and not by downloads or popularity,but that FAQ seems way vague.

There's nothing in the FAQ that really speaks to whether mod authors would be paid a one-time fee or would get a percentage of sales. What it does say is that creators would get paid by Bethesda throughout the process.

Edited by Reneer

Compatibility is still going to be an issue, so my bet is we'll see some restrictions on what mods can be made. It'll probably end up being mostly cosmetic additions that don't run the risk of conflicting with each other. Hopefully that won't result in modders here ditching their large ambitious projects and moving over to CC to make dozens of quick re-texture mods.

Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content

I'm also curious as to how they define 'existing mods'. If I use an existing mod of mine as the basis of a new mod with extra features does that count? Can I re-use assets? If not, why is the sneaking suit there?

Compatibility is still going to be an issue, so my bet is we'll see some restrictions on what mods can be made. It'll probably end up being mostly cosmetic additions that don't run the risk of conflicting with each other. Hopefully that won't result in modders here ditching their large ambitious projects and moving over to CC to make dozens of quick re-texture mods.

Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content

I'm also curious as to how they define 'existing mods'. If I use an existing mod of mine as the basis of a new mod with extra features does that count? Can I re-use assets? If not, why is the sneaking suit there?

A general answer to your question can be found here at the bottom of the page: https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

"Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content."

Here we go again. They just couldnt leave good enough alone. Steam won't have bar of it now so they go out and make their own system. Curious if the likes of Chesko and Isoku are involved in it this, after being burnt to the core after the last debacle.

Just goes to show they'll take anything in it's innocence and monetize it like a washed up you know what that stands on the corner. Sure they'll make millions off it ol Bethesda, and for what, to make even more oversimplified games like F4? Even more less modder friendly games like F4? But all good pay a dollar for this shiny new armor (which you probably cant modify further yourself cos its proprietary content now).

No good will become of it. It will turn Nexus into a dumping grounds for beginners while all the best content will cost you $$$. I don't even want to think about how many solid modders will leave the games.

I need to go make a tea and get some zen. Maybe go write some more code into mod (which will be free btw)

So much confussion! >_<

Some clarification from my attentive reading (if I'm wrong, correct me):

1. CContent are NOT mods, at least not legally. They are DLC published by Bethesda. This means two things: They are NOT paid mods and PS4 can have new models since the publisher is Beth and the content is added through their publisher licence with Sony.
  2. Beth won't take Bob and his first mod. They'll curate modders and their proposals. It's a highly curated platform that has Beth's brand on it. No nudes, Macho-men dragons or smexy content. Must be reasonably within the lore of the game (even if it can be a tad silly, tho).
  3. CCreators are paid on dev milestones (by the page: Pitch, Alpha, Beta and Completion), the payment is not specified, but we should assume it depends on the CCreator's reputation, past work (as CCreator or modder) and ambition/size of the project. It's basically Fisher-Price's My First Job as a Contractor. No cuts are specified. No ownership specified, most likely Beth owns what they publish, since they are the publisher.
  4. Every penny sunk into Credits goes directly to Beth and the platform. CCreators don't see a dime of sales.
  5. Beth will be involved with CCreators, so we can assume CCreators will be able to surpass the capabilities of the CK when working in CContent.
  6. Beth will create CContent. This is great news: the main reason companies don't work in old games is lack of revenue; with this, Beth can justify revenue for further work on Skyrim and Fallout4 waaaaay after their main dev cycle. If Beth wants this to succeed they need to produce a stream of content themselves, good enough to incite the use of the platform, cheap enough to justify it.
  7. Both games will likely need an update to support it.

All in all, this is not a "We pay you for your hobby", it's a "Wanna work for us injecting life into our games?". Most likely 'cause ES:VI is more than a year or two away and FO5 probably more than 5 (or 7 in normal-human, non-gamedev time).

Edited by jhondidfool