Paid modding is back

Hexxagone

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is Creation Club paid mods?

No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content....We’ve looked at many ways to do 'paid mods', and the problems outweigh the benefits."

But one has to purchase credits to purchase content from Creation Club just as you would to buy DLC from many other game developers. So, strictly speaking, it's not paid mods, it's paid content. I think. Is anyone else confused? o_O

That's the part that has me confused too. It seems that they don't want to call the paid content mods, but they have also called it mods. I'm curious why the chose "credits" as the currency and not actual money. Will there be ways to "earn" credits? Their presentation, and now the FAQ, has left a lot of questions that I hope will be answered by them soon.

This is a big change to the community, and they chose to be really vague about it - which is weird. I wish they just laid it all out in detail, this has the potential of not being a bad thing - but their vague approach to this isn't filling me with confidence.

Beth's youtube announcement video. I just happened to give it a :down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkrascT_iM&t=1s

Maybe a few more might get the point across?

At the very least, I would hope most everyone else is going to that video and giving it a thumbs down and maybe a nasty comment. Maybe with a #ForeverFree tag at the end and get that going? And flood their Twitter account too, I suppose. I mean the positives and negatives of the CC can be discussed until we're blue in the face but the community laying into them hardcore to just not do it could potentially get rid of the problem outright. It worked against the Fine Bros.

From reading the FAQ, it seems that this is more of a freelance developer network, than a group of modders uploading their individual work:

Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

So potential creators don't just upload their work, they first submit an idea for a project, and if it is accepted, everyone pitches in.

From reading the FAQ, it seems that this is more of a freelance developer network, than a group of modders uploading their individual work:

Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

So potential creators don't just upload their work, they first submit an idea for a project, and if it is accepted, everyone pitches in.

it seems to be bethesda is making more expansion packs and modders who have already made mods have the option of helping bethesda make it and get paid

I'm waiting for the ultimate joke to form: namely, a large bugfixing mod to appear as an offering. It would be incredibly funny for Bethesda to manage to avoid responsibility to fixing their bugs, whist at the same time asking you to pay additional money for this. We'll see.

I should add that I have supported, through small donation, bug-fixing mods--I think those who dedicate themselves to this work should be supported.

it won't, because then most every other mod on there would have to include the changes to be compatible. and it would all have to work for consoles. no bodyslide, no fnis, no skse. even armor mods would be limited because there'd be no way to dynamically update the leveled lists. just some shiny armor in a barrel somewhere and nothing for variety. same thing for random loot. say there's a mod on there that overhauls the looks of vanilla npcs. no way to make that compatible with a mod that, say, removes opposite gender animation flags. probably no weather, lighting, or water overhauls due to the scope. probably nothing with widespread navmesh edits (like the good city and ai mods). no 2 mods could change the same vanilla script and really be compatible either.

unless they figure out some way to automatically update each mod you download with patches tailored to every other mod in the store, optimally with a separate plugin that merges all the changes so you don't wind up with a mess, it's not going very far. even if they did throw in some sort of npc overhaul, as an example, the second someone else wants to try their hand at it they're sol, so it's nexus or bust. and supposing they just say to hell with compatibility, people paying for mods are going to be less likely to want to trouble themselves with extra legwork so the game doesn't crash and mod content doesn't vanish.

tl;dr - the logistics of designing the creation club in such a way that it could ever replace modding as we know it would be so complex that the chances of that happening are extremely slim.

Edited by ymf331

>

After the hundred of thousands of copies of Skyrim Bethesda have sold on all platforms including DLC over the last few years, haven't they made enough money out of an old game? Shouldn't they concentrate on a Skyrim sequel?

Because modders want to extend the life of the game with mods, Bethesda are muscling in this territory to make money too. I don't believe for a minute they are going to get their devs to test and polish everything in the Creators Club and kid us all into thinking it is like official DLC. It is just a way to exploit modders and coax them the their new platform where they can use modders to create for them for peanuts and make Bethesda even more money, and at the same time, kill off Nexus. I would rather continue to donate here so the modders get 100% of the money.

Everyone should boycott this. There is now way the Creators Club could survive without external modders.

All modders should stay well away and starve this thing of oxygen so it dies a horrible death. As soon as we buy into this, there will be no way back and all game developers will go down this path and it will destroy the modding scene for all games.......and if Steam get wind of this, don't think that they won't do something similar on their platform. This is a wake up call to us all.

This is exactly my fear.

This is bad for everyone.