Performance Problem, Low FPS Drops with GTX1080ti

kammi

That's exactly my issue. I'm using a 1080ti, too. The game runs at constant 60 FPS on BethINI's ultra preset except when I'm standing in front of my settlements. Then the framerate drops down to 40 while the hardware is less than 50% stressed. I'm glad I'm not the only one but it still drives me nuts. Skyrim SE on the other hand runs at constant 60FPS with everything maxed 4k textures, ENB, etc.

Skyrim SE was especially adapted for PC. It took Bethesda only five years. FO4 has been suffering from irrational and irregular fps drops everywhere. You can sit in a field anywhere and have 60fps, then pivot left or right and fps drops by twenty and stays that way, even when getting back in the original position when you had 60fps a few moments before.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Maybe by 2020 we'll get a version developed for PC, who knows.

I've fixed it by replacing my 4k texture mods with 2k ones. Loading screen times halved and game running at constant 60 FPS with every setting on max, even with an ENB now. You'd think that a 11GB VRAM graphics card could easily handle 4k textures but it seems the engine has issues with it.

Furthermore if you haven't done it already, I would use insignificant object remover to take out some stuff like pebbles on ground and water that use rendering power causing some fps drops, increasing performance for no visual loss. Also use fallout4 config tweaker or something like that unless you already know your way around the .ini files, to allow multiple CPU cores likely more then the game is set to despite there being more available for use. You might also want to toggle vsync settings in tweaker to be compatible with your monitor frequency, like mine can't go over 60 but I have the vsync set so has to run in game at 30fps, game runs smooth as silk! I could also do 60 but I personally found 30 more stable for no perceptible loss in quality or performance.

The only difference between your rig and mine is the video card. Mine is GTX 1070 and i7-6700 .... I only have 83 mods and none of them are texture / graphics mods ... why ? First of all, Fallout 4 is very demanding and no matter what video card you have, you will suffer fps drops in the city and in certain other areas, especially if you have texture / graphic mods.

On my first play through I did exactly what you did; I downloaded every single texture mod out there : Grafix, Fallout 4 Texture Optimizer, Fallout 4 seasons, vivid fallout4, fallout texture overhaul, grassland, vivid weathers, WET, FlaconOil, Water Enhanced, etc, etc, etc ..... and I was suffering fps drops, sometimes even 15 ... I decided to go nuke and reinstall the whole thing again and this time, I did not install any texture but I tweaked my video game configuration : 2560x1440, AA ( Anti-Aliasing filter ) set to OFF and god rays set to low and everything else in Ultra ... believe it or not, my game graphics looks awesome and I am having 60 fps almost all the time. Still I have fps drops in the city and in certain areas but not inside buildings ... and .... I added WOTC ( War of the Commonwealth ) to my mod list and I have this mod set to Weekend Warrior but spawns set above the default ... this mod is coming to challenge your rig because you will have a lot of NPC's spawning everywhere.

Nvidia suggest to have the AA filter set to ON but for your information, the AA filter soften your graphics and that is why players are downloading a lot of texture / graphic mods to compensate and those mods are the cause of fps drops because they apply globally to every single corner of the map and not even with the best video card, you would be able to avoid fps drops.

For your information and for example, the Nikon camera D810, does not have an AA filter and this camera has 36 mega pixels in the sensor and that is why photos taken with this camera, are very sharp and super crispy in details. I am a photographer and I speak based on true information and experience after more than 15 years taking pictures.

The same principle apply to video cards. Do yourself a favor, get rid of all your texture mods and set your game ( options ) video as I did and you will see the difference in performance. It did work for me and I think it will work for you since between your video card and mine, there is not much difference but yours is better which will help you to play smoothly and much better with the settings I do recommend, otherwise, I do not know what else can you do.

With the help of the WOTC's author, I placed this mod in the right load order and since then ( more than a week ago ) I have not had any CTD at all. My game is running preciously and again, I am having fps drops but only in certain areas which are being known as heavy areas for any video card ( city and certain more areas ).

I am also playing Skyrim Special Edition with the same video settings and my fps are always, and I mean always, 60. Skyrim is not that demanding as Fallout 4 though, so there is a difference but again, my fps in that game are steady 60 all the time. Regarding Fallout 4, I can say that 85% of the time, my fps are 60 and if not, still I am not getting any stuttering when fps drops to 35, 40, 45, 50 or 55, still my game is smooth which is what I really wanted and avoid CTD's at all costs.

Happy gaming.

Lol, there is no performance impact with Optimizer or Vivid, they literally take up less Vram than the original textures. I'm playing on Xbox where performance can tank fast, and the game definitely runs better with Vivid. Oddly enough tho using a mod to disable the Godrays actually makes performance worse, likely because Console games are tweaked to run as best they can on that specific hardware and so while disabling Godrays would lower the work the GPU has to do, that's actually worse for the console because it shifts more work to the CPU. Thus bottlenecking it.

Now those other mods you listed? Would definitely only work against the hardware bringing a heavier load. Especially weather mods, or mods that add trees and grass.

I have pretty much the exactly pc except my gpu is the slower gtx1080

I have some 290 mods with quite a few higher res texture mods but not Bethesdas texture dlc

At 1080p the game is running rather smoothly BUT it does start to lag whenever it loads a new area

I guess its something I have learned to live with... I doubt upgrading to the best and the latest would improve the performance

It was the same when I was playing heavily modded Fallout New Vegas on my old PC with a Sandybridge Pentium and ATI 6750 1gb gpu

It runs very smoothly now on my current pc so perhaps in 3-4 years I will be able to play heavily modded FO4 without any stutters and above 60fps with next gen hardware :D

my guess is this game probably requires a gpu that is at least 100% faster than the gtx 1080ti for it to run at constant 60fps without stutters

Edited by bajs11

The modding guide linked in my sig has a section on using a texture optimization mod. You can see if that helps. Vanilla textures are poorly optimized.

I relate to the issue with stuttering in a heavily built up Sanctuary. Part of the trick is to be more judicious in building large settlements.

The modding guide linked in my sig has a section on using a texture optimization mod. You can see if that helps. Vanilla textures are poorly optimized.

I relate to the issue with stuttering in a heavily built up Sanctuary. Part of the trick is to be more judicious in building large settlements.

Again, provide the answer here instead of making folk download your file, please.