Nexus site beta ready - help us help you

Dark0ne

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@uallera666: to make things worse it doesn't behave correctly when resizing with default browser instruments. For example with Firefox set to "zoom only text" which is my default the search buttons will disappear from the navbar in search/category mode when increased to 120 or so per cent. And default font sizes are too small for 1920 resolution (at leas for me who has less than perfect sight) :(

@uallera666: I recall reading that there were distant plans for visual templates which would mean that there could be a template designed for 1680 pixel width screens. Or there could be a "stretch" template. I wouldn't mind seeing more of my 1680 pixels of real estate being used as well.

@soopahfly: I think that browsers defaulted to zooming everything because it's extremely constraining to design a website that allows text resizing without any graphical hiccups. In my experience, graphical designers don't really have as in depth an understanding of the intricacies of html/css page layouts and rendering as the programmers that implement them. Here again, having multiple site templates would alleviate this problem. There could be a large font size template, medium font size template, etc.

There are some important issues in the image sections. We can delete the author's images!

And in the reputation system, the text saying '1 reputation' is the wrong colour.

Edited by CheeseyBall

@uallera666 - Dark0ne may say otherwise, but I think the fixed width was arguably the most disputed part of the new site design. I certainly voiced my reservations although I guess I've gotten used to it over time (going from seeing 12-14 search results on screen to only 3 is still frustrating). Still, when I look at the Nexus from work at 1440x900, and it looks fantastic, then I go home and view it at 1920x1080 and half my screen is wasted, it is still a little off putting. That being said, I don't believe there are any plans to adjust it and they did add the "themes" that make the wasted space much prettier. :)

I'll also add, since I do admit to being among the minions who raised a stink about the fixed width at release, that since then I've noticed the majority of sites on the web are fixed width, or at least the ones I use. It makes the coders job far easier I guess, so it's something those of us spoiled enough to have large monitors at high resolutions will simply have to live with.

Feels much more responsive. Might be placebo but it also seems to look sharper.

A couple of minor things:

1. When you're logged in to the main site on the comment tracking page, the boxes on the right usually show "Your top files" and "Your latest files". On the beta site, these have been replaced with "Latest mods" and "Top mods" which is usually what you'd see if NOT logged in and you tried to go to the comment tracker.

2. I was just able to up-tick a tag on one of my mods 45 times. That seems wrong somehow :)

Just to be clear the beta isn't running on the sites now; you need to go to the beta site to test it.

The sites have been a lot smoother recently, and that's been due to some tweaks and performance enhancements we've been doing recently behind the scenes. Not entirely related to the beta, but good none-the-less.