Are people finishing the main quest?

ElricOfGrans

I prefer to wander around the countryside meeting people, seeing the sights and fighting my way out of trouble.

Totally agree. I don't know how you gauge how many hours you have been playing? I've been at Skyrim for 5 months now. No other game interests me at this time although I may buy Mass Effect 3 and/or Kingdoms of Amalur in the future. In Skyrim I get easily distracted by faction quests so tend to drift in and out of the main quest. It doesn't matter because I love it anyway.

IMHO, the problem with playing a game a second time is that you know the plot and how to handle all quests. I suppose mods, expansions, and increased level of difficulty can help but what I'm looking forward to in Skyrim is playing an NPC war!! :)

I prefer to wander around the countryside meeting people, seeing the sights and fighting my way out of trouble.

Totally agree. I don't know how you gauge how many hours you have been playing? I've been at Skyrim for 5 months now. No other game interests me at this time although I may buy Mass Effect 3 and/or Kingdoms of Amalur in the future. In Skyrim I get easily distracted by faction quests so tend to drift in and out of the main quest. It doesn't matter because I love it anyway.

IMHO, the problem with playing a game a second time is that you know the plot and how to handle all quests. I suppose mods, expansions, and increased level of difficulty can help but what I'm looking forward to in Skyrim is playing an NPC war!! :)

Steam will say your total play time and your current save says how many hours its logged.

Skyrim was probably the first Elder Scrolls game where I really neglected the main questline. I got about half way through it and then just forgot about it. I then had other interests outside of Skyrim for a couple of months and realised I didn't even finish the MQ so I finished it rather quickly and started a new character when my interest in Skyrim was renewed.

120hrs in but glad to say I make it a point to try to complete the MQ. How I do this, since constantly run a circuit around Skyrim in a clockwise or anti-clockwise manner along the quest markers, knocking off quests as I go, while taking on the next quest-arc for the given area or quest NPC.

eg go Riften, claim rewards, clear some in-Riften quests, pick up new ones which bring me to Winterhold. Go to Winterhold, claim rewards, clear some quests, pick up new ones which bring me to Whiterun. Repeat.

For the record, I completed Morrowind and Oblivion MQs, but I had to force myself to do them, having spent hundreds of hours in faction quests and mods. Told myself to avoid the same mistake!

I have finished about half of the main quest with a couple different characters. Though I have started probably around 10 characters, some didn't last long at all. I feel like my character should be on his/her way to becoming a very capable / experienced adventurer before embarking on such a grand undertaking (saving the world). I recently installed "live another life" (alternate start mod) and am loving that. Now I feel like I can develop my character before even starting the main quest line. I think I actually will finish it with my current character..... eventually. Trying to finish restoring the thieves guild for the first time.

I did finish Morrowind once, it took me forever though. Loved that game. But I never even played Oblivion, a friend of mine had it and after watching him play for a little bit it just didn't seem that good. I might pick it up and try it out one day though.

Good questions and points. I for once have been used to avoid even starting the main quests since Oblivion, and in a way even Morrowing. In Oblivion is "almost" obligatory not starting it if wanting not "gates" popping everywhere, in Skyrim, to delay dragons.

But with my many characters I finished the main quest only once and with None of them I "started" the civil war. I don't know even how it looks like.

on my first character, finished the main quest at about level 30. He's 41 now and I'm bored with him so I've been playing 3 other characters. They've all started the main quest but have not progressed very far into it as I'm doing the alternate faction quests of which my favorite is the brotherhood.

My first Elder scrolls game, my first character. I started the Main Quest right away, following the instructions to go to Riverwood, to go to Whiterun, etc. When they told me to go see the Graybeards at like level 5 I said, hey slow this down. I barely knew how to walk without tripping on my armor. So I ran away from my "responsibilities" as the Dragonborn and knocked around the world. Dragons keep spawning on me everywhere I go....they are a pain in the butt and they seem to be trashing the countryside and killing off NPCs including named ones sometimes. So around level 35 I decided to revisit the MQ...finally went to see the Graybeards, hooked up with the Blades. I'm working that now. Level 45 and delving into Alfand. My advice is definitely way till you have some levels on you before you start this. I will follow this through on this character to the end but mean to start another who doesn't mess with dragons at all.