New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

I like the new design overall but it seems the site is very slow to load anything. Also is there a way to default the mod categories to show the most downloads/most endorsed again? Or am I going to have to change that every time I visit a category?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54705413. #54706873, #54711013 are all replies on the same post.

sullyivan wrote: Scroll scroll scroll scroll....

Just not cool and rather old fashioned in the sense of web design to present easy access of layouts. I'd call it a step backwards. Getting to a specific game page, and setting favorites is a nice touch, in fact the whole menu is quite nice and I would say much needed.

Still after the menu, it goes down hill quick.

-The new design page loads slower, consistently,compared to the old layout, unless it's just a temporary thing.
-News must not be important since you gotta scroll down, from 'home' page, and to the bottom for specific game pages. Yes you can click the header for 'Home' "forum' 'Chat' & 'News' but other than it's scroll scroll scroll. News has big friendly images, with hardly any news to it, unless you specifically click the news title and not just the image. 20 news articles that go back over 6 months is a little more than ridiculous. I guess if you don't come to the site very often, it would make sense.
-Page width is obnoxious. While a wider layout does provide more text on the page, text size should be considered, as well as increasing page magnification and how much that spreads out the page. Consider how much the eye has to move to read the text on a page, typical monitor size, also if the reader has to move their head to keep their eyes in an optimum position to avoid unnecessary eye strain. (Love the greyed background on the news) Text magnification options without increasing page layout width would be one way to assist with this. Still a lot of wasted page space that could easily take advantage of columns, including a page dropping side menu.
-How big does an image need to be to get attention for it? Getting away from the standard and popular shifting banner, such as Top Files for old layout, that major companies build into their websites is a sad loss. In the Trending Mods image layout bloat with ZERO mod information (unless you count the category & author), even if you hover over the image is missing. So unless a captivating image is used, it will likely be ignored and passed over, including some truly wonderful mods.
-Square and blocky sections and buttons adds to a harsher, less refined web page layout. It's something you are more likely to see from a lower budget website that uses a cheaper premade web designer program, where you just fill in the blanks and copy and paste links with simplified drag and drop sections and modules. Isn't a mod something where you would tailor a look or feel to something that is being used? The page layouts do not show this, and is a step back from the more progressive design of the old layout.

Yes, those are actual problems. Those are pain in the butt problems to try to correct, for the most part with the new layout. Are they even problems? Moving backwards in a web layout and it's design is a problem. Stability and effort is something that a donation based site needs to show. Being trendy isn't the same and moves away from stability and effort that can be used elsewhere to attend to the desires of the supporters of a donation based website. That is my observation and opinion.

I do like the 'opportunity' that the new layout has. However, the new layout would be something that I would currently avoid. Yes, as in use the website less. Checking in maybe weekly, or monthly, instead of daily or multiple times a day, as I do with the 'old' layout now.

I hope the option will remain to use the old layout for a long time to come.
Ethreon wrote: "-News must not be important since you gotta scroll down, from 'home' page, and to the bottom for specific game pages. Yes you can click the header for 'Home' "forum' 'Chat' & 'News' but other than it's scroll scroll scroll."

News are far more rare than new mods/images, and people come here to see mod content and what's new, rather than the same 20 news posts over and over again.
HomicidalGrouse wrote: In addition to what Ethreon said, news articles are 'announced' via the "Updates" button in the site menu. So even if you don't wish to scroll down to check for news, chances are it'll inform you that there's something new right at the top of the page anyway.

Except that link is temporary and once you click it, it's gone. The old site at least allowed you to decide when something is out of your update section.. I guess it says space.

In response to post #54700358. #54700433, #54701393, #54702983 are all replies on the same post.

JimBourneSmith wrote: HI, great work and modern looking, but just a few thoughts.Thousands of YouTube mod review and tutorial videos have links in the description to mods that will bring to the modders page using the old domain links i.e nexusmods.com/link to mod. This new site currently has a domain name rd.nexusmods.com/link to mod. I suspect RD stands for redone The existing YouTube links will of course link to the old design URL not the new. So, should YouTube folks put a link to both sites in YouTube descriptions meantime, or will the old site be discontinued in future and the old links match the current links in thousands of YouTube descriptions. I am assuming the domain for the new design will revert back to nexusmods.com when everything is finalised, and domain links to mods will match the previous URLs.

cheers and kudos to this new design, well done.

Jim McCambridge
Dark0ne wrote: RD will soon be moved to nexusmods.com. As such, people should NOT link to rd.nexusmods.com on a permanent basis.
JimBourneSmith wrote: ok thanks..:)
JimBourneSmith wrote: So existing mod link Urls will match, great news

No, this is bad news. It means the new design will really stay forever....and Dark0ne even used the word "soon" Edited by Battlestar1965

I personally will be clutching onto the old design until the moment it dies because I really am not a fan of this new one. And it's not about me clinging onto the old one because I hate changes or something, I welcome changes when I think they're an improvement, but this is honestly not an improvement in my eyes. It's simply the fact that the compact look of the old design was traded for this plain ugly "modern" design which involves big images and fonts, too much scrolling down, too much eye-movement along with information being scattered all over the place. What's up with all the depressing colors of dark gray, light gray and occasionally white ? Did someone run out of color when designing this place ? Is the "modern" design too afraid of colors ? Am I in 50 Shades Of Gray ?

And then there's other things, some of which I mentioned in the forum post.

My honest opinion is that this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because of reasons I stated in the forum post. Such a shame that this is now turning into Bethesda.net 2.0 design... only more uglier and effort requiring.

If anything should have been changed, then it was the forums section because it felt so disconnected from the main site in terms of designs and bringing it up to the Nexus design would have been amazing.

I will remain on the old design until hopefully some changes are made to the new design that make it at least somewhat visually pleasing and convenient.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Old design was compact, displayed important information when required, was easier to navigate and much more viewable.

The new design is too big, too flashy with images and fonts. Absolutely no colors. Information is scattered all over the place. A lot of scrolling and looking around. The biggest sin of all however is that it forces the user to SEARCH for IMPORTANT information, instead of handing the important information to them. Just look at the mod pages for example and see the first 5 lines when you open a mod page.

This new design would be a great design for a phone, not a PC.

Just my opinion.

I'm afraid I agree with what Crimsomrider said here.

I profoundly dislike the new design that looks "modern" for the sake of being "modern".

Please leave old design available as an option at least.

Edited by Sashaa

In response to post #54705898. #54706813 is also a reply to the same post.

robot_rampage wrote: So now I have to be a premium member just to look at more than 20 items on one page? That is super dumb.
Ethreon wrote: See an older reply on this very thread - that was a premium feature before as well.

Compare the top 100 mods for example. I could browse through a list of 100 items before the redesign. Now the redesign splits this up into 20 mod chunks that I can't even view in proper list style. When you select the "list" view, it's just another tile type view!