New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54723318.

Crimsomrider wrote: So I've been designing some concept previews for some visual changes I think would look better and make it easier on the eye for everyone, modders and users included.

The previews can be found here.

FIRST CONCEPT PREVIEW - THE DESCRIPTION PAGE

The first concept shows the DESCRIPTION page which is the MOST IMPORTANT part when it comes to users checking out a mod.

As seen, the mod page has been severely cleaned up and all the useless information that is not important to a regular user has been placed on the bottom, where it should be. Things such as tags, Report and Share buttons along with Permissions and Mirrors.

Why did I do this ? Because first of all PERMISSIONS only affect other modders who want to use assets from a mod. It does not affect normal users therefore putting it below is the obvious choice because the number of users outnumbers the amount of potential modders seeking permissions.

Second is MIRRORS. Nobody in their right mind would first go download mods or check out mods on other sites without reading the MAIN DESCRIPTION of a mod. If they find the mod interesting, then ofcourse they'll want to check if the mod is on other platforms. Therefore putting mirrors at the bottom along with everything else makes sense.

Things like donations, translations, mirrors, tags and so on are irrelevant information and should not come FIRST before the important part which is the actual description.

SECOND CONCEPT PREVIEW - THE FILES SECTION

The files section quite honestly is horrible looking. I will use Armorsmith Extended as an example of how horrible the new design really makes the files section because Armorsmith Extended has over 300 files.

As you can see all main files and optional files are expanded and their size takes so much of the screen. Try scrolling down and tell me if that feels good. It certainly does not to me.

Everything is all over the place and to make matters worse, all the MAIN Files are expanded, thus allowing someone like myself who has a 1920x1080 monitor to see only 2 files at a time. COMPACT LOOK matters! Therefore I reduced the size to almost half and increased the visual appeal by putting some elements into space which was previously empty.

Files should not be expanded because they otherwise they take far too much space if the mod has several.

Icons for download data and all that I placed onto the tray itself, although I believe they should be a bit more reduced in size because some files have long names.

As for the FILE VERSION, I think that file version should be limited only to dots and numbers. Some mods have meme crap written as version of the files, such as THICC or 69696969669, 420BLAZEIT and so on. I believe a limit on what can be used for a file version should be implemented.

Antivirus reports and Preview options I placed side by side instead of both being in a separate line... conserving space is important.

Please tell me if I'm just wasting my time with these concept previews. If you're not interested, I'd like to know. I love the Nexus and want to remain on it so I will not just say I am against the new design and do nothing. I want to help and provide feedback as much as possible.

The next concept previews I wanted to do was the MAIN PAGE for a game, the IMAGES and COMMENT SECTION.

Your concept for the mod page is exactly what i suggested right after the redesign release, plus the perm / share etc buttons also moved down. This would clean up most of the entirely misplaced screen elements.

Edited by ScrollTron1c

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54721518. #54724553 is also a reply to the same post.

CoBE10 wrote: Just need to redesign NMM .
RelentlessNinja wrote: agreed most definitely need to change the design of that just to give it a more user friendly layout(not saying it isn't already but yeah) and to just give it a face lift too

they are no longer working on NMM, they are working on a new Mod distribution and sorting tool code named Vortex so an update to the NMM seems unlikely

In response to post #54709518.

robsmith wrote: Please implement some kinda mouse over to see larger image for the eh 'trendy' files, the thumbnails can blur together easy and make it much harder to really make a mod stand out, as I am so used to loading the nexus up each morning and giving all the hot files a mouse over and seeing which catches my eye.

This would be good. The mouseover for the gigantic hot files images, instead of just uselessly graying out, could show the "short description" text

As a man with many hundreds of tabs open, half of them nexus, the colour of the tabs is what matters to me. Witcher is red, Skyrim is Blue, SSE is yellow. Now all of Skyrim is pale blue, and witcher is still red. Please change the icon/site colours back to what they were, or at least differentiate Skyrim & SSE. Cheers!

In response to post #54723318. #54726623 is also a reply to the same post.

Crimsomrider wrote: So I've been designing some concept previews for some visual changes I think would look better and make it easier on the eye for everyone, modders and users included.

The previews can be found here.

FIRST CONCEPT PREVIEW - THE DESCRIPTION PAGE

The first concept shows the DESCRIPTION page which is the MOST IMPORTANT part when it comes to users checking out a mod.

As seen, the mod page has been severely cleaned up and all the useless information that is not important to a regular user has been placed on the bottom, where it should be. Things such as tags, Report and Share buttons along with Permissions and Mirrors.

Why did I do this ? Because first of all PERMISSIONS only affect other modders who want to use assets from a mod. It does not affect normal users therefore putting it below is the obvious choice because the number of users outnumbers the amount of potential modders seeking permissions.

Second is MIRRORS. Nobody in their right mind would first go download mods or check out mods on other sites without reading the MAIN DESCRIPTION of a mod. If they find the mod interesting, then ofcourse they'll want to check if the mod is on other platforms. Therefore putting mirrors at the bottom along with everything else makes sense.

Things like donations, translations, mirrors, tags and so on are irrelevant information and should not come FIRST before the important part which is the actual description.

SECOND CONCEPT PREVIEW - THE FILES SECTION

The files section quite honestly is horrible looking. I will use Armorsmith Extended as an example of how horrible the new design really makes the files section because Armorsmith Extended has over 300 files.

As you can see all main files and optional files are expanded and their size takes so much of the screen. Try scrolling down and tell me if that feels good. It certainly does not to me.

Everything is all over the place and to make matters worse, all the MAIN Files are expanded, thus allowing someone like myself who has a 1920x1080 monitor to see only 2 files at a time. COMPACT LOOK matters! Therefore I reduced the size to almost half and increased the visual appeal by putting some elements into space which was previously empty.

Files should not be expanded because they otherwise they take far too much space if the mod has several.

Icons for download data and all that I placed onto the tray itself, although I believe they should be a bit more reduced in size because some files have long names.

As for the FILE VERSION, I think that file version should be limited only to dots and numbers. Some mods have meme crap written as version of the files, such as THICC or 69696969669, 420BLAZEIT and so on. I believe a limit on what can be used for a file version should be implemented.

Antivirus reports and Preview options I placed side by side instead of both being in a separate line... conserving space is important.

Please tell me if I'm just wasting my time with these concept previews. If you're not interested, I'd like to know. I love the Nexus and want to remain on it so I will not just say I am against the new design and do nothing. I want to help and provide feedback as much as possible.

The next concept previews I wanted to do was the MAIN PAGE for a game, the IMAGES and COMMENT SECTION.
ScrollTron1c wrote: Your concept for the mod page is exactly what i suggested right after the redesign release, plus the perm / share etc buttons also moved down. This would clean up most of the entirely misplaced screen elements.

The first concept shows the DESCRIPTION page which is the MOST IMPORTANT part when it comes to users checking out a mod. As seen, the mod page has been severely cleaned up and all the useless information that is not important to a regular user has been placed on the bottom, where it should be

I like that.

I don't like this. In fact I didn't realize that your example had 3 files until I realized there was another main file under the expanded one.

Files are still a major issue in the new Nexus design, the whole thing is wasting too much horizontal space for no reason. Who cares how many " DLs " a file has, all I need is Name, Version, Description and a download link. Edited by axonis

Having actually used the site... while the new layout still takes some getting used to, I actually appreciate the design direction toward bigger images and bold, large, easy-to-read fonts.

My eyesight is worsening, and small fonts are getting harder for me to read. So thanks for making a site design that's easy on the visually-impaired.

Not a fan of the new layout.

The old layout is more concise and I can see what's new very quickly. It loads quicker, the thumbnails of the game covers are much better than the "decorative picture" versions witch take up more space.

This is a net negative change.. but I'm probably wasting my time. Good luck with it I guess.

It looks nice at first sight but new published mods get lost fast in the mix, no hotfiles.. newly published mods are getting less hits..Overall, I'm not a fan of it.. I hope you keep the old site up. The old site is much easier to navigate through.. I especially like the old sites category feature for top files, newly released top mods etc.. this new site is just extra clicking to get to what I like.. Edited by Ashes2Asherz

The design looks like a generic trainwreck designed for mobiles, despite the fact that this entire website from start to finish is aimed at PC users. Are you sure you hired a professional and not some guy who just fell out of a fad-of-the-week course on web design? The claim of "good practices" is also something I thoroughly disagree with, the search filters being moved from the side to a nasty menu at the top is the exact opposite of that, especially on a site like this. It's five times the size and has more empty space than actual content.

The only good thing is how images are handled. The rest of it is dreadful and soulless.