Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #55492533.

RodericMcKay wrote: The biggest problem by far with this system is how many more pages you have to load to view what you want to browse. In the old system you could fine tune every field before having to load a new page. Now if I want to view mods from one specific game initially, then decide I want to search for mods for a different game or all games, I have to load several more pages to do that. In the old system I just scrolled through a drop down menu and that was done. It slows everything down.

Also, I currently am not having too much difficulty with this, but flat design inherently makes user efficiency suffer. Without signifiers indicating what is interactive such as 3d effects, shadows, and embossing, users have trouble finding what they are looking for. I hope that the design team recognize that some users may have trouble with this new design in that regard.

On thing I do appreciate immensely is not forcing a memory-gobbling infinite scroll system on us. That is always a terrible idea (looking at you, tumblr mobile app).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when browsing, sometimes the site jumps to the last page in the results list instead of the first.

Also, the search options bar is very oversized, and I don't really like hiding it behind a foldout menu. I greatly prefer the old search options as they were off to the side, yet always visible at a glance. They also didn't take up so much space.

The biggest problem is that a lot of people aren't spending the time to look for the functionality which is right there in front of them. Case-in-point, the game drop-down menu still exists, and it's under the "Games" drop-down while browsing mods (same row as "Time", "Sort by", the pagination, etc.).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55489708.

Anthedon wrote:

In response to post #55461293.

Anthedon wrote:

Is there no longer a way to limit searching to a particular game? The search function in the new layout turns up results from all games. Which makes it almost useless.

There is a way to limit searching to a particular game. First click on the "game" tab and select the particular game whose mods you want to search. Then enter your search word(s) and proceed with the search. If you don't select a particular game, then indeed you will search the entire Nexus game library. You can select a game either through the favorites menu (if you've already set that up) or from the list of all games included in the Nexus library.

Thanks. That's pretty clunky compared to the old site. Especially if you check mods for multiple games regularly. What a bizarre design choice.

That's no different from the old site. If you search on the root level nexusmods.com you get search results for all games. If you browse Skyrim Nexus you get search results for Skyrim.

In response to post #55489708. #55505133 is also a reply to the same post.

Anthedon wrote:

In response to post #55461293.

Anthedon wrote:

Is there no longer a way to limit searching to a particular game? The search function in the new layout turns up results from all games. Which makes it almost useless.

There is a way to limit searching to a particular game. First click on the "game" tab and select the particular game whose mods you want to search. Then enter your search word(s) and proceed with the search. If you don't select a particular game, then indeed you will search the entire Nexus game library. You can select a game either through the favorites menu (if you've already set that up) or from the list of all games included in the Nexus library.

Thanks. That's pretty clunky compared to the old site. Especially if you check mods for multiple games regularly. What a bizarre design choice.

Dark0ne wrote: That's no different from the old site. If you search on the root level nexusmods.com you get search results for all games. If you browse Skyrim Nexus you get search results for Skyrim.

I am not thrilled about changing either as I believe the old way was just fine, and would have liked the energy being spent on Vortex as I am not modding till then anyway. However, I gotta side with the Nexus Developers on this comment. (and many other comments that just waist time and are not helpful)
Anthedon, what do you want? You want gamers that don't even care about skyrim to have to start in skyrim? It's not clunky, is necessary to start at a "root" level for all Nexus supported games. These guys are developing this for everyone not just you. I don't like change either but you can't be serious, this is what you chose to complain about? lol. To me that means you could not find anything else wrong, So... actually you like it :)
Look If you only care about a particular game then click on the tab for that game and save the http as a favorite. (that's what I do and you probably did that with the old Nexus and don't remember doing it) Next time you can just click your nexus link you saved as a favorite and be right where you want to be and start your search there :)
I got my opinions on the the new Nexus as well, but I chose to not comment on the design or layout till I give it a try for awhile. Hell I might end up liking it :) If I find an actual bug or something missing, or something along that line I will point it out, but for now that should probably be the most valuable input that these developers need guys.

Edited by mcdanielskh

In response to post #55485813. #55486923 is also a reply to the same post.

twowolves80 wrote:

You know, to all the people unhappy about it, just be patient, guys/girls; I have a feeling there's a bit of a learning curve for them as well. It's a new site with new site coding and new layout options.

Let's compare it to Skyrim Modding. Wait, what? You weren't an absolute pro the first time you ever downloaded a mod and started playing? Pff. No excuse, you should have had a full load of 255 mods that was completely stable with 8K resolution and no script errors, the first time you ever modded Skyrim.

Now, see how ridiculous that sounds?

Be patient and let them finish playing with it to see what can be done. It could simply be a case of where they're trying to port over as much as possible, but the new format may not actually allow them to do everything they want, or we would like to see. Keep the comments constructive, and give them six months. Then, you may have a legitimate gripe if something is broken. But right now, it's still too new--to them and to us. Keep in mind, they're also splitting their time between that, the Vortex mod manager development, work, real life, family and everything else.

"The new site looks like **** and I hate it and I refuse to compromise my position at all." :armscrossed:

Or...

"I don't like the look of the new site, and here's why. Is there any way we can make it better?"

Which do you think they'll appreciate more? It's not the end of the world, and it's nowhere near finished, so give them a chance.

Also, I'm astonished at the lack of Thanksgiving wishes posted here towards our site owner (that's right, the Dark0ne belongs to us! :tongue:). Just because some of the admins aren't from the US doesn't mean they don't appreciate turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. So, happy turkey day. Thanks for all you do, Robin and company. Even if we don't always agree with everything you do on the site, we know you've got our best interests at heart, so thank you. :D

And now, here's some digital pie for you.
http://www.foodandwine.com/assets/images/201309-HD-pumpkin-pie.gif/variations/original.gif

Man, that Raider Quad Bike mod has a patch for everything! lol

sopmac45 wrote: I back you up ... I do not mind any changes and I have been dealing with the new site since it was out and one of the things that MUST work at 100% is the Search function and unfortunately is not working as it should.

We need that to function as before because we need to find mods so we can install them. So far, I cannot even find a mod that I installed yesterday which is ridiculous. It is a PITA go looking for a mod thru all the pages, so please Dark0ne, make it work.

Another thing that I am missing from the previous site was that I was able to filter ( before looking for mods ), for example, if I needed Nexus to also show me nude mods; now I am unable to do that unless I go inside a mod and see if there is tab with "nudity" on so I can click on it and then voila ... but again, it should not be "hidden" but available on the game page so you can decide what types of mods you would like to display once you start searching.

Other than those two things, the rest is ok to me and I like it ( btw ) more than before but I have been cursing it lately because of those two things expressed above. I think that my suggestion has been asked before by others but here I am adding myself the same input for you to consider it as a trend problem with the new site.

Thanks so much.

twowolves80,

I agree with you 100%

In response to post #55485813. #55486923, #55508553 are all replies on the same post.

twowolves80 wrote:

You know, to all the people unhappy about it, just be patient, guys/girls; I have a feeling there's a bit of a learning curve for them as well. It's a new site with new site coding and new layout options.

Let's compare it to Skyrim Modding. Wait, what? You weren't an absolute pro the first time you ever downloaded a mod and started playing? Pff. No excuse, you should have had a full load of 255 mods that was completely stable with 8K resolution and no script errors, the first time you ever modded Skyrim.

Now, see how ridiculous that sounds?

Be patient and let them finish playing with it to see what can be done. It could simply be a case of where they're trying to port over as much as possible, but the new format may not actually allow them to do everything they want, or we would like to see. Keep the comments constructive, and give them six months. Then, you may have a legitimate gripe if something is broken. But right now, it's still too new--to them and to us. Keep in mind, they're also splitting their time between that, the Vortex mod manager development, work, real life, family and everything else.

"The new site looks like **** and I hate it and I refuse to compromise my position at all." :armscrossed:

Or...

"I don't like the look of the new site, and here's why. Is there any way we can make it better?"

Which do you think they'll appreciate more? It's not the end of the world, and it's nowhere near finished, so give them a chance.

Also, I'm astonished at the lack of Thanksgiving wishes posted here towards our site owner (that's right, the Dark0ne belongs to us! :tongue:). Just because some of the admins aren't from the US doesn't mean they don't appreciate turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. So, happy turkey day. Thanks for all you do, Robin and company. Even if we don't always agree with everything you do on the site, we know you've got our best interests at heart, so thank you. :D

And now, here's some digital pie for you.
http://www.foodandwine.com/assets/images/201309-HD-pumpkin-pie.gif/variations/original.gif

Man, that Raider Quad Bike mod has a patch for everything! lol

sopmac45 wrote: I back you up ... I do not mind any changes and I have been dealing with the new site since it was out and one of the things that MUST work at 100% is the Search function and unfortunately is not working as it should.

We need that to function as before because we need to find mods so we can install them. So far, I cannot even find a mod that I installed yesterday which is ridiculous. It is a PITA go looking for a mod thru all the pages, so please Dark0ne, make it work.

Another thing that I am missing from the previous site was that I was able to filter ( before looking for mods ), for example, if I needed Nexus to also show me nude mods; now I am unable to do that unless I go inside a mod and see if there is tab with "nudity" on so I can click on it and then voila ... but again, it should not be "hidden" but available on the game page so you can decide what types of mods you would like to display once you start searching.

Other than those two things, the rest is ok to me and I like it ( btw ) more than before but I have been cursing it lately because of those two things expressed above. I think that my suggestion has been asked before by others but here I am adding myself the same input for you to consider it as a trend problem with the new site.

Thanks so much.
mcdanielskh wrote: twowolves80,

I agree with you 100%

twowolves80,

Thank you for your sane and patient words about the new Nexus site. I've read every post in this comments section, and you are one of the few who are working constructively to help Dark0ne and team make the new site a good place to go for mods.

Finally, can you share your recipe for digital pumpkin pie with the rest of us?

Hey why is the most recent search function for finding the latest, or newest mods gone? All I see is Date, Endorsements, Downloads, Last updated, Author, File name, Size, Random, Trending, and Last comment. I really liked using it when looking for mods that are new, underrated or ones that might have slipped under my radar.

Edited by Skauldomir

In response to post #55517523. #55517698 is also a reply to the same post.

Rodjama wrote: Where on earth are nexus mods for FO4 within the new layout website?
There is no tab for games!
Is this some kind of dumb joke? :(
Skauldomir wrote: Full game list is where it is at.

It's the same goddamn layout as the old website. Are you joking or what?