Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

So hey, I get the devs REALLY want this redesign with all their heart despite public response, but is it even possible to meet in the middle? Just make it a setting to switch between the old and new design. I really hate the new design, it feels clunky, boring, unorganized, there are a lot of unimportant details left and right, and I hate I have to constantly fix the URL old. when I click on a link on this site.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the suggestions I, as well as many other individuals have made, have been implemented. Why is the redesign still so awful in terms of human interaction? Our feedback is being kept track of, indeed? So why is the redesign as awful as ever?

In response to post #55992001.

HadToRegister wrote:

I do not like the layout, it takes much more time to look at a "list" of mods than ever before. Very time wasting.

I used to click on "Top Files" on each mod page, and get a nice quick LIST, that I could quickly scan UP and DOWN with minimal eye movement, and minimal scrolling.

Now I get a Bunch of Moderate Side-by-Side BOXES, that I have to either scan Side-to-side then Down, then side-to-side, then DOWN then Side-To Side, scroll down the page, scan side-by-side, then down, then side-to-side etc, making looking at the Top Files list take a lot more time.

This is the equivalent of opening a folder in Windows with a lot of files in it, and being able to look at the files in LIST view and see ALL the files at once, and then switching to EXTRA LARGE ICON view, while leaving the window the same size and now having to scan side to side, AND scroll up, down and sidewways in the SAME window to see all the files.

A total step backwards.

If there was an OPTION to quickly make that a Single Column LIST VIEW, along with the Huge Giant Side-by-Side Boxes, it would be nice. I.E. being able to switch views like in Windows, between List, Extra Large Icon, Tiles etc, it would add to the flexibility, because for me, this new layout is a hindrance to fast "mod shopping"

HadToRegisterr,

"By George", I think you may be onto something. I totally get what you're saying and I think you may have helped me to understand why some people are so upset about this new version. I like both the new version and the old. To me it's not that different. However, when you referenced "..opening a folder in windows with a lot of files in it, and being able to look at the files in LIST view.." it made me remember back when Windows first switched from listed files to a default of ICON view. People when "Ape s***" crazy for awhile about how they hated windows. Eventually it was figured out (or windows added, i can't remember which) functionality was added or discovered that allowed for a List view

I had no problems with the switch to ICONS but in some folders I prefer the contents to be in a List as well, and it sucked to constantly have to change the view. So I was supper happy when in addition to having the listview windows eventually got smart enough to remember your folder preference on an individual folder level. Perhaps, that the key. Perhaps there needs to be a way to configure for a list view or at least a tab that people can go to that has very little going for it visually but a very efficient list format with basic description next to each mod name displayed such as to get 20-30 on a page. Then clicking on any one could then direct you to the mod page as normal. If this tab was to have a robust search/sort function too, I think the "efficiency type people" would be very happy. Could be useful to everybody sometimes, especially if you know what you're looking for and just want to find it fast vs. "Window Shopping" and looking at all the new bling bling mods :smile: You know, it like the old form vs. function argument. Function people say I do not care about Form I just need it to function efficiently. Form people say, If it does not look good I or others will not want to use it. Turns out both are correct.

Your idea (if added to the new Nexus) may be what holds us all together as one big happy modding community instead of this fracture that I feel is occurring over this new Nexus.

Thanks, that's what I was going for, a solution to make EVERYBODY happy.

For me, the Big Boxes with pictures is just complete overload, while Lists for me are easy.

I too have certain folder on my system that are set to always be "List View", with other folders set to "Details", "Large Icons" and even "Extra Large Icons" for a couple.

with those settings I get the best of everything, which makes it even better as it's perfectly applicable to what I need from each folder.

I like the "HOT MODS" section of the pages, that's fine, but then scrolling down to the Large Icons section for News and Media just makes me stop reading, because looking all over the page in every direction with huge pictures just makes me not interested in reading ANYTHING on the page, so I just skip it.

TEXT is what's important to me, not a page full of blocks with pictures in them, to me, the pictures are irrelevant and just obfuscate the stories and text.

If those sections of the pages had the same feature as STEAM and GOG do for your Games Library (List View, Detail View, Grid view) then everybody could set their own preferences by just clicking on the mode icon at the top of the section.

In response to post #55959946. #55962041 is also a reply to the same post.

shadoxxHD wrote: don't fix what isn't broken ... the old design was just fine. At least add a site option to always redirect to the normal looking site.
Ethreon wrote: Old site is going away. End.

The old site is good, the new site is f*#@ing awful. End.

In response to post #56003801. #56015706, #56020516 are all replies on the same post.

Ruhadre wrote: All I hear about the new design is how buggy it is. Nothings been improved. Personally, I don't really care, as I exclusively only use the old links. Every time I land on the new design by accident...I just cringe. So I'm ok with the new design as long as it doesn't slow down performance on the old site links.

I do hope there isn't a plan to eventually get rid of the old site links. I will have nothing to do with the nexus if I am forced to use the new design. Oh, you can also get rid of the annoying bar at the top trying to get me to use the new layout. It's just in my way, and being ignored.
mcdanielskh wrote: Do you not read anything before you post?
Somebody clue this guy in, i'm to tired.
Better yet, nobody tell him anything.
Ruhadre wrote: I do, but apparently you don't. A slew of messages got moved in here, including a few of my own. No one is downloading mods, or uploading screens with their phones. It's a bad premise from the start. If anything, they could have made Nexus messenger into a mobile app and that WOULD have been useful. You are just trolling a comment considered "old" because a bunch of messages after this were moved. Respectfully, I don't need someone who's rude, and not even a modder to be telling me anything thank you.

Ruhadre,
There may have been some confusion, this is what I was referring to:

"15 December 2017, 9:38AM
All I hear about the new design is how buggy it is. Nothings been improved. Personally, I don't really care, as I exclusively only use the old links. Every time I land on the new design by accident...I just cringe. So I'm ok with the new design as long as it doesn't slow down performance on the old site links.

I do hope there isn't a plan to eventually get rid of the old site links"

Notice the date of your post. Are you saying that you posted before the 15th but somehow it did not show up till the 15th?
If so then no wonder it looked like you don't read. In any case I have nothing to do with when your words post. At the time that this posted your comment was way behind the understanding you should have by now if you were reading first. However, if it was indeed a old post that somehow got out of order then I take back what I said, but either way I was not being a troll.

In response to post #55982906.

twowolves80 wrote:

Yikes!

Um, what problem is this new layout supposed to fix?

As SirSalami said in the New Design Constructive Feedback thread:

We appreciate the strong feelings that many seem to be have here, but please try to refrain from argument. Apologies if we don't answer each post but I assure you the team is reading through these comments and taking note of what can be done. All of us are aware of the implications that come along with a website redesign, so you're not hurting our feelings by expressing your opinions about the new sites aesthetics, but we also do not need to be defended to the point of anger or misunderstanding. Please keep your posts civil, and most importantly, constructive.

Our intention for this redesign is certainly (and I think obviously), not to intentionally drive anyone away. While we felt that the site was long overdue for a visual overhaul, the most important work that's happened during this effort has been to ensure that our infrastructure can scale and provide consistent service now and in the future. That sort of restructuring would require significant effort to either recreate the old design to coincide with these new systems, or that same effort could be spent creating a new design, which we felt was more prudent.

Yes there have been many bumps in the road so-far. What's important to us now is ensuring that all site functionality that existed on the old site, works as intended on the new. Please continue to report bugs using the tab found at the bottom right of the site and the team will continue to fix them. Hundreds have been addressed already, so thank you to those that have submitted! After we feel confident that the new infrastructure is solid, we will revisit all that we can regarding user-experience, to hopefully address many of the concerns that are being raised in this thread.

I hope this alleviates at least some concern and allows you all to continue to give us your opinions in a reasonable fashion. Thank you for your support!

[emphasis added]

schnubbel76 Hey man your cool, I didn't need to flame you so hard. I see what you mean by being placed on the defensive. You certainly are not the only one that I wanted to yell at about being whiny , your post just kind of put me over the edge with the not wanting to help with feedback but wanting to keep complaining and all. I don't take back what I said, but I hope you will forgive the roughness in how I said it. Lookin back at my post, perhaps that was not necessary.

You know I am not a New Nexus fanboy either.. I still liked the look of the old Nexus better, but personally; I have not had many issues with the function of the new Nexus. It's been more just a matter of getting use to thinks being a little different. I admit though that I have not been downloading at all yet, just browsing mods, and I did a few searches with simple filters, but I have had no problem. I will say I liked how vibrant and contrasty the old Nexus was compared to this new one, and I agree with many of the inputs people have given about color, font, and the overall flat look making it less easy to read. I admit at first look the new one looks more "up to date" even more slick and professional looking I think, but I would give some of that back to have a little more of the feel of the old Nexus. I wish I could quantify or qualify what it is that feels different, but I can't put my finger on it exactly.
However, I also realize that this may all be physiological in that I'm just not use to the new Nexus yet. A year or two from now if we are able to go back (we will not be able to, this is just a hypothetical) and look at the old Nexus, it will/would probably look like amature hour compaired to the new one. Yes, the New Nexus needs some work but everybody knew it would, that why your input is needed. I have seen nothing thats a game ender, it all looks like some minor tweaking to me.
Hey schnubbel76 the designers do need your input, it just needs to be something they can work with. Start simple. Pick one thing at a time to give input on. I would choose the thing that I dislike the most. Do your best to describe the problem with facts and examples, try to keep the emotional wording to a minimum. (good advice to myself as well) and if you have a sugest fix, try to be as descriptive as possible. I know you don't have to help or give input. You're totally right, but doesn't it make more sense to help and give input?

Again, I'm sorry for the flames man :smile:

Have a kudos. (Crap--just realized I already gave you one and can't give you another, so have a psuedo-kudos instead! :P )

Why does everything need preview pictures? Will there be an option for a "true" titles/list view ?

It was much easier for the eye to quickly go through the top mod files in the old design without preview pictures.

Even as someone who likes the new design, I agree. :smile:

I'm sorry, but this was a horrible idea. Were you infiltrated by bethesda.net or something?

Not really helpful. Anything constructive to add to this to turn it into something the devs can use?

twowolves80

psuedo-kudos are also nice. Thanks :)

In response to post #56003801. #56015706, #56020516, #56037426 are all replies on the same post.

Ruhadre wrote: All I hear about the new design is how buggy it is. Nothings been improved. Personally, I don't really care, as I exclusively only use the old links. Every time I land on the new design by accident...I just cringe. So I'm ok with the new design as long as it doesn't slow down performance on the old site links.

I do hope there isn't a plan to eventually get rid of the old site links. I will have nothing to do with the nexus if I am forced to use the new design. Oh, you can also get rid of the annoying bar at the top trying to get me to use the new layout. It's just in my way, and being ignored.
Ruhadre wrote: I do, but apparently you don't. A slew of messages got moved in here, including a few of my own. No one is downloading mods, or uploading screens with their phones. It's a bad premise from the start. If anything, they could have made Nexus messenger into a mobile app and that WOULD have been useful. You are just trolling a comment considered "old" because a bunch of messages after this were moved. Respectfully, I don't need someone who's rude, and not even a modder to be telling me anything thank you.
mcdanielskh wrote: Ruhadre,

All I hear about the new design is how buggy it is. Nothings been improved. Personally, I don't really care, as I exclusively only use the old links. Every time I land on the new design by accident...I just cringe. So I'm ok with the new design as long as it doesn't slow down performance on the old site links.

Notice the date of your post. Are you saying that you posted before the 15th but somehow it did not show up till the 15th?
If so then no wonder it looked like you don't read. In any case I have nothing to do with when your words post. At the time that this posted your comment was way behind the understanding you should have by now if you were reading first. However, if it was indeed a old post that somehow got out of order then I take back what I said, but either way I was not being a troll.

After I left this post, others were kind enough to dig up the mystery post from 40 pages back and bring it up here. Which wouldn't be an issue if that information was included in the original post to the community.

You are right, there was definitely some confusion! I came back here and thought my posts got deleted at first. I looked around and discovered that they were being shifted around. I didn't attempt to "shame" anyone for this like you did though...

" Do you not read anything before you post?
Better yet, nobody tell him anything. "

What part of that is NOT being a troll? Not to be cliche, but...

Why can't be all just get along and discuss this like adults? Edited by Ruhadre

In response to post #55959946. #55962041, #56036661 are all replies on the same post.

shadoxxHD wrote: don't fix what isn't broken ... the old design was just fine. At least add a site option to always redirect to the normal looking site.
Ethreon wrote: Old site is going away. End.
waswar1 wrote: The old site is good, the new site is f*#@ing awful. End.

@ Ethreon Stop being a troll. Anything is up for discussion. Nothing is ever written in stone. You don't own Nexus so stop speaking for them like you are somebody. You are just ticking off the community. Edited by Ruhadre

None of the suggestions I, as well as many other individuals have made, have been implemented. Why is the redesign still so awful in terms of human interaction? Our feedback is being kept track of, indeed? So why is the redesign as awful as ever?

Please see the New Nexus Mods Designed Launched thread.

In particular [as quoted from Dark0ne]:

Over the next few weeks we will assess how much traffic the redesign site is getting and the bugs we're receiving. If we think we've had enough testing data and we've cleared our bug backlog we will then switch the sites around; nexusmods.com will point to the new redesign and you will be able to switch back to the old design temporarily during this period. We will then monitor this as another testing phase and, once we're happy with how things have progressed, we will finally turn off the old design completely and everyone will be forced on to the new design. At this point the old design will not be coming back and will not be usable ever again. [Answers when it will be final and why--tw] Hence why it makes sense for you to try and use the new design as much as possible so you get used to it sooner rather than later.

A note on the UI, UX and overall look. When we started this process we worked with a professional designer to create the initial mockups because we didn't have a full-time designer ourselves. The designer we worked with was great, but naturally as we didn't have him full-time and our work on the code took way longer than initially anticipated, it meant that he could only go so far. As such, the current design on the new site is, I'd say, 75% the designer's, following good UI/UX principles and 25% ours, without expert supervision (and likely lacking good UI/UX principles). We've had to change or add functionality that was missed in the original mockups that was not done by a UI/UX professional and as such, we're aware there are some areas of the site that, already, could do with the touch of an expert. Thankfully, our very own UI and UX designer has begun working from our office now. Her initial focus is going to be solely on Vortex, the mod manager to replace NMM. I can tell you right now, I'm extremely excited about her work from what I've seen so far and I think she's going to do great things for both Vortex and the Nexus Mods sites.

Once we're happy with Vortex she will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready. [Answers why the redesign hasn't been touched yet in terms of aesthetics and so forth--tw]

I think it's a testament to Dark0ne's dedication to us in ensuring we get the best possible product he can get us when Vortex is released, which is why the design problems/quirks/et cetera have been slow in changing. He wants an expert to go over the site before fixing the aesthetic issues, and his main dev is busy working on Vortex. So, I guess that means...

We just need to be patient. We're being heard. We just need to be patient.

In response to post #56003801. #56015706, #56020516, #56037426 are all replies on the same post.

mcdanielskh wrote: Ruhadre,

After I left this post, others were kind enough to dig up the mystery post from 40 pages back and bring it up here. Which wouldn't be an issue if that information was included in the original post to the community.

You are right, there was definitely some confusion! I came back here and thought my posts got deleted at first. I looked around and discovered that they were being shifted around. I didn't attempt to "shame" anyone for this like you did though...

" Do you not read anything before you post?

Better yet, nobody tell him anything. "

What part of that is NOT being a troll? Not to be cliche, but...

Why can't be all just get along and discuss this like adults?

Kudos to you. Sometimes, I think it's more that I've been paying attention to multiple threads like these for a while, so I see more information that others might not catch if they only pay attention to one thread (or have only found one such thread and posted in it). Also, I, too, have been noticing some quirks going on in the forums as of late--really odd stuff where, if I reload the page, it corrects itself. Might be them trying to squash a bug as they fix the update stuff on the new site. But yeah, mang, right on. We don't need to be trollish about it. We're all in this together on the new site. If you read from the very beginning of some of these threads, some of the reactions now I find strike me as hilariously outrageous. But even I, as someone who has liked the new layout so far (mostly because the only time I look at it on my pc is to download new mods or upload screenshots, otherwise it's on my Macbook, which is where I enjoy using it), find myself agreeing with a lot of the stuff that has been posted, and that's encouraged me to post stuff I've noticed and would like to see.

In response to post #55982906.

twowolves80 wrote:

As SirSalami said in the New Design Constructive Feedback thread:

Yikes!

Um, what problem is this new layout supposed to fix?

[emphasis added]

We appreciate the strong feelings that many seem to be have here, but please try to refrain from argument. Apologies if we don't answer each post but I assure you the team is reading through these comments and taking note of what can be done. All of us are aware of the implications that come along with a website redesign, so you're not hurting our feelings by expressing your opinions about the new sites aesthetics, but we also do not need to be defended to the point of anger or misunderstanding. Please keep your posts civil, and most importantly, constructive.

Our intention for this redesign is certainly (and I think obviously), not to intentionally drive anyone away. While we felt that the site was long overdue for a visual overhaul, the most important work that's happened during this effort has been to ensure that our infrastructure can scale and provide consistent service now and in the future. That sort of restructuring would require significant effort to either recreate the old design to coincide with these new systems, or that same effort could be spent creating a new design, which we felt was more prudent.

Yes there have been many bumps in the road so-far. What's important to us now is ensuring that all site functionality that existed on the old site, works as intended on the new. Please continue to report bugs using the tab found at the bottom right of the site and the team will continue to fix them. Hundreds have been addressed already, so thank you to those that have submitted! After we feel confident that the new infrastructure is solid, we will revisit all that we can regarding user-experience, to hopefully address many of the concerns that are being raised in this thread.

I hope this alleviates at least some concern and allows you all to continue to give us your opinions in a reasonable fashion. Thank you for your support!

Have a kudos. (Crap--just realized I already gave you one and can't give you another, so have a psuedo-kudos instead! :tongue: )

schnubbel76 Hey man your cool, I didn't need to flame you so hard. I see what you mean by being placed on the defensive. You certainly are not the only one that I wanted to yell at about being whiny , your post just kind of put me over the edge with the not wanting to help with feedback but wanting to keep complaining and all. I don't take back what I said, but I hope you will forgive the roughness in how I said it. Lookin back at my post, perhaps that was not necessary.

You know I am not a New Nexus fanboy either.. I still liked the look of the old Nexus better, but personally; I have not had many issues with the function of the new Nexus. It's been more just a matter of getting use to thinks being a little different. I admit though that I have not been downloading at all yet, just browsing mods, and I did a few searches with simple filters, but I have had no problem. I will say I liked how vibrant and contrasty the old Nexus was compared to this new one, and I agree with many of the inputs people have given about color, font, and the overall flat look making it less easy to read. I admit at first look the new one looks more "up to date" even more slick and professional looking I think, but I would give some of that back to have a little more of the feel of the old Nexus. I wish I could quantify or qualify what it is that feels different, but I can't put my finger on it exactly.

However, I also realize that this may all be physiological in that I'm just not use to the new Nexus yet. A year or two from now if we are able to go back (we will not be able to, this is just a hypothetical) and look at the old Nexus, it will/would probably look like amature hour compaired to the new one. Yes, the New Nexus needs some work but everybody knew it would, that why your input is needed. I have seen nothing thats a game ender, it all looks like some minor tweaking to me.

Hey schnubbel76 the designers do need your input, it just needs to be something they can work with. Start simple. Pick one thing at a time to give input on. I would choose the thing that I dislike the most. Do your best to describe the problem with facts and examples, try to keep the emotional wording to a minimum. (good advice to myself as well) and if you have a sugest fix, try to be as descriptive as possible. I know you don't have to help or give input. You're totally right, but doesn't it make more sense to help and give input?

Again, I'm sorry for the flames man :smile:

Even as someone who likes the new design, I agree. :smile:

Why does everything need preview pictures? Will there be an option for a "true" titles/list view ?

It was much easier for the eye to quickly go through the top mod files in the old design without preview pictures.

Not really helpful. Anything constructive to add to this to turn it into something the devs can use?

I'm sorry, but this was a horrible idea. Were you infiltrated by bethesda.net or something?

twowolves80

psuedo-kudos are also nice. Thanks :smile:

Np! :smile: Why can't we give out more kudos? Why is there a limit? lol Makes no sense. Now, off to hand out more kudos. lol

Edited by twowolves80