Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #56036556. #56058716, #56060231 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:

In response to post #55992001.

HadToRegister wrote:

I do not like the layout, it takes much more time to look at a "list" of mods than ever before. Very time wasting.

I used to click on "Top Files" on each mod page, and get a nice quick LIST, that I could quickly scan UP and DOWN with minimal eye movement, and minimal scrolling.
Now I get a Bunch of Moderate Side-by-Side BOXES, that I have to either scan Side-to-side then Down, then side-to-side, then DOWN then Side-To Side, scroll down the page, scan side-by-side, then down, then side-to-side etc, making looking at the Top Files list take a lot more time.

This is the equivalent of opening a folder in Windows with a lot of files in it, and being able to look at the files in LIST view and see ALL the files at once, and then switching to EXTRA LARGE ICON view, while leaving the window the same size and now having to scan side to side, AND scroll up, down and sidewways in the SAME window to see all the files.

A total step backwards.

If there was an OPTION to quickly make that a Single Column LIST VIEW, along with the Huge Giant Side-by-Side Boxes, it would be nice. I.E. being able to switch views like in Windows, between List, Extra Large Icon, Tiles etc, it would add to the flexibility, because for me, this new layout is a hindrance to fast "mod shopping"

HadToRegisterr,
"By George", I think you may be onto something. I totally get what you're saying and I think you may have helped me to understand why some people are so upset about this new version. I like both the new version and the old. To me it's not that different. However, when you referenced "..opening a folder in windows with a lot of files in it, and being able to look at the files in LIST view.." it made me remember back when Windows first switched from listed files to a default of ICON view. People when "Ape s***" crazy for awhile about how they hated windows. Eventually it was figured out (or windows added, i can't remember which) functionality was added or discovered that allowed for a List view
I had no problems with the switch to ICONS but in some folders I prefer the contents to be in a List as well, and it sucked to constantly have to change the view. So I was supper happy when in addition to having the listview windows eventually got smart enough to remember your folder preference on an individual folder level. Perhaps, that the key. Perhaps there needs to be a way to configure for a list view or at least a tab that people can go to that has very little going for it visually but a very efficient list format with basic description next to each mod name displayed such as to get 20-30 on a page. Then clicking on any one could then direct you to the mod page as normal. If this tab was to have a robust search/sort function too, I think the "efficiency type people" would be very happy. Could be useful to everybody sometimes, especially if you know what you're looking for and just want to find it fast vs. "Window Shopping" and looking at all the new bling bling mods :smile: You know, it like the old form vs. function argument. Function people say I do not care about Form I just need it to function efficiently. Form people say, If it does not look good I or others will not want to use it. Turns out both are correct.
Your idea (if added to the new Nexus) may be what holds us all together as one big happy modding community instead of this fracture that I feel is occurring over this new Nexus.

Thanks, that's what I was going for, a solution to make EVERYBODY happy.
For me, the Big Boxes with pictures is just complete overload, while Lists for me are easy.
I too have certain folder on my system that are set to always be "List View", with other folders set to "Details", "Large Icons" and even "Extra Large Icons" for a couple.
with those settings I get the best of everything, which makes it even better as it's perfectly applicable to what I need from each folder.

I like the "HOT MODS" section of the pages, that's fine, but then scrolling down to the Large Icons section for News and Media just makes me stop reading, because looking all over the page in every direction with huge pictures just makes me not interested in reading ANYTHING on the page, so I just skip it.
TEXT is what's important to me, not a page full of blocks with pictures in them, to me, the pictures are irrelevant and just obfuscate the stories and text.

If those sections of the pages had the same feature as STEAM and GOG do for your Games Library (List View, Detail View, Grid view) then everybody could set their own preferences by just clicking on the mode icon at the top of the section.

Augusta Calidia wrote: Your suggestion for a STEAM-like set of viewing options is excellent. Not being a programmer or anything like that, I don't know how feasible it would be to implement it. However, I do hope the site developers would consider it. That would go a long way toward making everybody happy, as you've already said.

As for myself, I love the "sensory overload" the new site provides. It's not a problem for me. However, I appreciate that it is for others, and that's why I think your suggested solution ought to be taken seriously.
mcdanielskh wrote: Yes, that is a great idea HadToRegister (sorry about the extra r in your name in my previous posts lol sorry :) )
and as Augusta Calidia said, I hope site developers or someone that can communicate with the site developers will see this idea and give some feedback as to its technical possibility.

This is a overwrite of a double post. I found that if you click the Use emoticons button after you had already clicked submit (but while its still processing you edit), you will be able to click submit again. However, it will double post one with emoticons and one without. Edited by mcdanielskh

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56036556. #56058716, #56060226 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:

In response to post #55992001.

HadToRegister wrote:

I do not like the layout, it takes much more time to look at a "list" of mods than ever before. Very time wasting.

I used to click on "Top Files" on each mod page, and get a nice quick LIST, that I could quickly scan UP and DOWN with minimal eye movement, and minimal scrolling.
Now I get a Bunch of Moderate Side-by-Side BOXES, that I have to either scan Side-to-side then Down, then side-to-side, then DOWN then Side-To Side, scroll down the page, scan side-by-side, then down, then side-to-side etc, making looking at the Top Files list take a lot more time.

This is the equivalent of opening a folder in Windows with a lot of files in it, and being able to look at the files in LIST view and see ALL the files at once, and then switching to EXTRA LARGE ICON view, while leaving the window the same size and now having to scan side to side, AND scroll up, down and sidewways in the SAME window to see all the files.

A total step backwards.

If there was an OPTION to quickly make that a Single Column LIST VIEW, along with the Huge Giant Side-by-Side Boxes, it would be nice. I.E. being able to switch views like in Windows, between List, Extra Large Icon, Tiles etc, it would add to the flexibility, because for me, this new layout is a hindrance to fast "mod shopping"

HadToRegisterr,
"By George", I think you may be onto something. I totally get what you're saying and I think you may have helped me to understand why some people are so upset about this new version. I like both the new version and the old. To me it's not that different. However, when you referenced "..opening a folder in windows with a lot of files in it, and being able to look at the files in LIST view.." it made me remember back when Windows first switched from listed files to a default of ICON view. People when "Ape s***" crazy for awhile about how they hated windows. Eventually it was figured out (or windows added, i can't remember which) functionality was added or discovered that allowed for a List view
I had no problems with the switch to ICONS but in some folders I prefer the contents to be in a List as well, and it sucked to constantly have to change the view. So I was supper happy when in addition to having the listview windows eventually got smart enough to remember your folder preference on an individual folder level. Perhaps, that the key. Perhaps there needs to be a way to configure for a list view or at least a tab that people can go to that has very little going for it visually but a very efficient list format with basic description next to each mod name displayed such as to get 20-30 on a page. Then clicking on any one could then direct you to the mod page as normal. If this tab was to have a robust search/sort function too, I think the "efficiency type people" would be very happy. Could be useful to everybody sometimes, especially if you know what you're looking for and just want to find it fast vs. "Window Shopping" and looking at all the new bling bling mods :smile: You know, it like the old form vs. function argument. Function people say I do not care about Form I just need it to function efficiently. Form people say, If it does not look good I or others will not want to use it. Turns out both are correct.
Your idea (if added to the new Nexus) may be what holds us all together as one big happy modding community instead of this fracture that I feel is occurring over this new Nexus.

Thanks, that's what I was going for, a solution to make EVERYBODY happy.
For me, the Big Boxes with pictures is just complete overload, while Lists for me are easy.
I too have certain folder on my system that are set to always be "List View", with other folders set to "Details", "Large Icons" and even "Extra Large Icons" for a couple.
with those settings I get the best of everything, which makes it even better as it's perfectly applicable to what I need from each folder.

I like the "HOT MODS" section of the pages, that's fine, but then scrolling down to the Large Icons section for News and Media just makes me stop reading, because looking all over the page in every direction with huge pictures just makes me not interested in reading ANYTHING on the page, so I just skip it.
TEXT is what's important to me, not a page full of blocks with pictures in them, to me, the pictures are irrelevant and just obfuscate the stories and text.

If those sections of the pages had the same feature as STEAM and GOG do for your Games Library (List View, Detail View, Grid view) then everybody could set their own preferences by just clicking on the mode icon at the top of the section.

Augusta Calidia wrote: Your suggestion for a STEAM-like set of viewing options is excellent. Not being a programmer or anything like that, I don't know how feasible it would be to implement it. However, I do hope the site developers would consider it. The would go a long way toward making everybody happy, as you've already said.

As for myself, I love the "sensory overload" the new site provides. It's not a problem for me. However, I appreciate that it is for others, and that's why I think your suggested solution should be taken seriously.
mcdanielskh wrote: Yes, that is a great idea HadToRegister (sorry about the extra r in your name in my previous posts lol sorry :) )
and as Augusta Calidia said, I hope site developers or someone that can communicate with the site developers will see this idea and give some feedback as to its technical possibility.

Yes, that is a great idea HadToRegister (sorry about the extra r in your name in my previous posts lol sorry :) )

In response to post #56059981.

Darkladylexy wrote: I really wish you guys would just make up your mind which version of the website you want to show me sometimes I get the new version and something i get the old version. It get very confusing jumping back a forth all the time.

Yes, this is weird actually I get the old version by default.

In response to post #55959946. #55962041, #56036661, #56038166, #56039761, #56056726 are all replies on the same post.

shadoxxHD wrote: don't fix what isn't broken ... the old design was just fine. At least add a site option to always redirect to the normal looking site.
Ethreon wrote: Old site is going away. End.
waswar1 wrote: The old site is good, the new site is f*#@ing awful. End.
Ruhadre wrote: @ Ethreon Stop being a troll. Anything is up for discussion. Nothing is ever written in stone. You don't own Nexus so stop speaking for them like you are somebody. You are just ticking off the community.
diverscale wrote: Agreed, old site could be ''facelifed'' but not completely thrown away. And new site is much too heavy. Also I feel it is aiming too much at being pretty, not displaying easily the information that is needed, the information displayed is much easier to access on the old design than the new one.
waswar1 wrote: This would be most intelligent. Dark0ne can fix what is inadequate in the old design. That would be rather difficult though, as there was nothing inadequate about it, at least in comparison to what was changed with this horrendously awful inferioredesign.

Ruhadre,
Just because Ethreon tells you something that you don't want to hear does not make him a troll, if anyone was being a troll it was you.
Yes, you can post about how great the old site was and how the new one should go away all you want. That does not change the fact that that the Old site is going away. END.

Even if you do believe that your complaints will make the new site go away please, try to spend as much energy with useful inputs on the new site as you do politicking to get the old one back that way you hedge your bets a little in case you're wrong. Edited by mcdanielskh

In response to post #56003801. #56015706, #56020516, #56037426, #56038066 are all replies on the same post.

Ruhadre wrote: All I hear about the new design is how buggy it is. Nothings been improved. Personally, I don't really care, as I exclusively only use the old links. Every time I land on the new design by accident...I just cringe. So I'm ok with the new design as long as it doesn't slow down performance on the old site links.

I do hope there isn't a plan to eventually get rid of the old site links. I will have nothing to do with the nexus if I am forced to use the new design. Oh, you can also get rid of the annoying bar at the top trying to get me to use the new layout. It's just in my way, and being ignored.
mcdanielskh wrote: Do you not read anything before you post?
Somebody clue this guy in, i'm to tired.
Better yet, nobody tell him anything.
Ruhadre wrote: I do, but apparently you don't. A slew of messages got moved in here, including a few of my own. No one is downloading mods, or uploading screens with their phones. It's a bad premise from the start. If anything, they could have made Nexus messenger into a mobile app and that WOULD have been useful. You are just trolling a comment considered "old" because a bunch of messages after this were moved. Respectfully, I don't need someone who's rude, and not even a modder to be telling me anything thank you.
mcdanielskh wrote: Ruhadre,
There may have been some confusion, this is what I was referring to:

"15 December 2017, 9:38AM
All I hear about the new design is how buggy it is. Nothings been improved. Personally, I don't really care, as I exclusively only use the old links. Every time I land on the new design by accident...I just cringe. So I'm ok with the new design as long as it doesn't slow down performance on the old site links.

I do hope there isn't a plan to eventually get rid of the old site links"

Notice the date of your post. Are you saying that you posted before the 15th but somehow it did not show up till the 15th?
If so then no wonder it looked like you don't read. In any case I have nothing to do with when your words post. At the time that this posted your comment was way behind the understanding you should have by now if you were reading first. However, if it was indeed a old post that somehow got out of order then I take back what I said, but either way I was not being a troll.
Ruhadre wrote: After I left this post, others were kind enough to dig up the mystery post from 40 pages back and bring it up here. Which wouldn't be an issue if that information was included in the original post to the community.

You are right, there was definitely some confusion! I came back here and thought my posts got deleted at first. I looked around and discovered that they were being shifted around. I didn't attempt to "shame" anyone for this like you did though...

" Do you not read anything before you post?
Somebody clue this guy in, i'm to tired.
Better yet, nobody tell him anything. "

What part of that is NOT being a troll? Not to be cliche, but...

Why can't be all just get along and discuss this like adults?

Ruhadre,

Hey man, you really need to stop going around calling me and others trolls. Especially when you are starting to sound a lot like a troll yourself.
Thats right I noticed. You called Ethreon a Troll 5 min after you called me a Troll for the second time in two days also for no good reason other than disagreeing with you.
This is what you said:
"16 December 2017, 6:11PM
@ Ethreon Stop being a troll. Anything is up for discussion. Nothing is ever written in stone. You don't own Nexus so stop speaking for them like you are somebody. You are just ticking off
the community."

(Sorry I don't know how to insert a post as a spoiler or I would have.)

BTW just so we are clear what we are talking about:
Urban Dictionary
troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument
by Alien Entity September 22, 2002

Notice this speaks to intent. I had no such intention neither did Ethreon. You on the other hand smell of trollish intent.

This will be my last post to you concerning this matter (maybe ever) so that this entire "troll" mater can subside. It is very unhelpful to everyone.
To any that believe I have been a Troll, I apologise.

Mike Drop Troll Out.

Edited by mcdanielskh

In response to post #55996416. #56001046, #56004111, #56006271, #56013811 are all replies on the same post.

CrossShot4 wrote: Why not have both? Just give the option under "Preferences"
sopmac45 wrote: This has been addressed by Dark0ne already and backed up by several members in this thread. Read and find out. To make it short for you :

- We are not going back to the old site. Period.
- We will not have the option to have two sites. Period.

Why do you continue asking something that has been already addressed and it is a done deal ? Because you have the right to ask ? Yes, you do ... but asking again for something that cannot be done is a waste of time on your end.
Ruhadre wrote: I mean, it's Dark0ne's site, and if he wants to shoot his own site in the foot, then that's his business. Been using this site without complaint for years until this entire "new design" came up. I'm doing my best to be polite by even referring to it as a "new design". It's completely unusable by most.

I agree with CrossShot4. Have both, or else you'll alienate a lot of users and modders. Being rude and pushy to people isn't helping your cause either. Don't act like Comcast when you hardly have a monopoly ;P

The site is ALREADY set up for both currently. It's fine the way it is now! Leaving you all free to do whatever you want with the new version side, while people can continue to enjoy the nexus experience they've enjoyed for years. Clearly, your intentions aren't geared toward the community, but more toward some weird form of pride in this new layout.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Nexus. I go out of my way to make mods to help others, and I do my best to help others with problems, and I never asked once for a donation from others. But to force me to use a layout I hate, when they could give me the option to keep using the old site is just a slap in the face. Why should I go out of my way to make mods to make others happy when I'm just going to host them on a website that no longer shares my same interest in the community? Defeats the purpose. Also, I didn't see Dark0ne say anything specific in the original post about the destruction of the old site. He is allowed to change his mind. So I guess I should ask, are you speaking for him?
axonis wrote: @Ruhadre, you are not alone.
Milanvukas wrote: I've recently been struck down by one of the users (premium or support, can't remember) for complaining about the lack of functionality of the new design. His argument was that I did not pitch in my vote in time.

I did not even know that the voting took place. And now we have hundreds, maybe even thousands of Nexus regulars that agree with me. Why aren't we taken into consideration now?

What's the deal with this new design anyway? The interface is horrible. Old Nexus works just fine, and is pretty enough. Why even make a new when people are still satisfied with the old? For some pointless modernization? Is the purpose of this site for administrators to graze their eyes upon, or for us common folk to use it?

Bottom line, the new design is like a golden raincoat: it may look dazzling (though it does not, in this case) but is horribly impractical, and even crippling to the one that wears it (which it does, in both cases).

And why the hell are some sups/prems so rude about all of this?

There was literally no voting. Owner decided to do this and he did it; whether we like it or not is irrelevant.

It is sad because 1st time I saw this "new design" I was confused (because it is something new and different) If there is no way of coming back then I guess I will have to get used to it. Pictures from mods are loading much faster (immediately) so this new design might not be as bad.

Even more sad to me are comments I read last few months in these topics or even in some mods comments section. Nexus was always the best website to me not only because of so many good mods but also because of friendly people and comments. Thats something I would never want to see changed. Peace all :)

I just noticed something in the menu and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, maybe it has...

But the top 2 Hot Mods have description text but the line below those 2 mods have no description text. Additionally, the More Mods section below the Hot Mods have description text for those mods.

So, if the 2nd line of Hot Mods have no description text, why is that? I mean what's the point of no text for those Hot Mods when you don't know what they do? It doesn't make sense.

In response to post #56070491.

Aoikani wrote:

I just noticed something in the menu and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, maybe it has...

But the top 2 Hot Mods have description text but the line below those 2 mods have no description text. Additionally, the More Mods section below the Hot Mods have description text for those mods.

So, if the 2nd line of Hot Mods have no description text, why is that? I mean what's the point of no text for those Hot Mods when you don't know what they do? It doesn't make sense.

You are right, the 2nd line mods do not have any text ... however, have you ever downloaded a mod without going inside of it, read the full description and posts and probably make questions ? I do not think so.

I believe it is just to give you an insight and I am not trying to justify anything at all ( they should have the same amount of text like others ) so you are right about that.

It has been already addressed by a moderator what is happening now ( they are focusing on polishing Vortex ) and after Vortex is out, they will concentrate all their efforts to make the site better so let's continue adding our feedback.