Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55255308. #55256923, #55257018, #55257068, #55257338, #55257343, #55259548, #55259848, #55259863, #55263213, #55263383, #55263583, #55271593, #55271953, #55272448 are all replies on the same post.

schnubbel76 wrote: I hate the new design. Since the nexusmods still is the best site for mods to me, i will stuck with you, but when the old design is shut down and only the new site is available, well.... i will stuck with you, but i will hate you forever at the same time for making me use the new design and i will hate myself for using it and not leaving nexus and i will hate everything from then on.
I hate the new design so much and i hate you for creating it.
I hate you.
CreeperLava wrote: Is there really a need to be so agressive towards what is ultimately not that important ?
r0ck7y wrote: i guess you need a day sleep before posting.
KSI Carbon Core wrote: So much hate for something so mundane.
Veritech100 wrote: Wow so much hate for such a small thing!
KensaiTonada wrote: I see you are not a financial supporter... so you're angry because something you get FREE is changing... what a putz.
blackninja50 wrote: I'm angry to so go die.
Crusader33 wrote: Kids and teenagers LOVE it !!!!!!! Adults all hate it !!!!! Such is life We well have are revenge while in the nursing home for the next generation of kids well change there's as well !!!!
Skauldomir wrote: You must not take change easily...
Keleigh3000 wrote: I hate it too. I'm a premium member, does my opinion count?
Dziggy wrote: The people saying they don't like the new design should really try to offer the Nexus Mods staff some actual constructive feedback. Simply saying that you don't like it is pointless. How can they improve the things that people don't like if they have no idea what those things are?
jsparks40 wrote: I think the OP is just being facetious people :P
sopmac45 wrote: Well, if you hate yourself I am pretty sure that you hate humanity .... you are going into the dark path. Be careful. It is a fact, that nobody can give what they do not have. If you hate in your heart, you will hate everything and everybody that surround you. Too bad !

Nothing is forever in this life whoever you are; you were a baby before, then you grew up and became a teen, then you will grow up more and become an adult and one day probably an old woman/man and at your end, you will pass away. Nothing is forever. Accepting that reality is the key to be calm and peaceful.
Spart117MC wrote: A good number of us did offer constructive criticism and we were called backwards idiots for not liking change.
schnubbel76 wrote: Interesting how much confusion about my hate is out there. It's not like my life crashes to pieces about this. I just hate the new design. And i am saying it.

@ Dziggy: Why should i offer the nexus team constructive feedback for their project, when there is absolutely no need to change it. It would be great if they would change it to be better, but that is not the case. Why should i support something, that makes things worse than they are. Makes no sense.

My constructive feedback is the same, for both old, and new designs, and though the new is better in regards to my long standing complaint, it's just coincidentally better.

My complaint is simple, Most of the available space on my monitor is wasted on this site.
Why doesn't it resize the pages to fit my screen, whatever size that may be.

I don't mean titlebar/background, that does resize, I mean this subframe that contains all the actual content, and takes up little space;

In my case with standard 16/9 widescreen format;
Old site takes up about 30% of the available width.
New site takes up about 50% of the available width.

So new sites better then, if still inadequate, when I expect it to use all the width?

Actually it somehow manages to fit even less content into that larger screen area.

So despite being wider, I see less content without scrolling, due to a combination of much bigger images, tiles etc, combined with large areas of shere wasted space.

Take basic mod browsing, with "Tiles", view that shows most mods
Old - Even though a third of the available space is used by search options at the top, and totally wasted unerneath, I can get 21 full mod tiles on the screen
New - No search options to take a third of the screen here, but the size of each tile gives only 15 full mods.

I could live with the new layout better if it used my full screen area, though I do think a lot of the elements need shrinking a little as well.

So the new layout though wider, gives me less.
Just make the scrollable page the entire page, and design it for the only devices that need to use the site, PC's (Including Laptops).

I don't see any need to even care about mobile layout, but if you need one, make that a secondary system. We can't use the mods on mobiles, so I see no need to visit the mod site with such devices.

Forum's still a separate site, I assume.
That's better width, but even there it only uses 90% of the space, so could be better.
I've given this feedback numerous times, and it seems a no brainer to me.

Use all the width availble, and fit the site to that space, for all of us.

It's all good, except the negative Nancy's that I wish would just go away. Not sure why people think their threat to boycott a non commercial entities webpage would be perceived as a bad thing.

Hell yeah, boycott us! Don't come back, just means you freed up a little teeny tiny bit of system resource for someone that loves the site, someone we care about instead of you.

Thankfully I haven't yet been forced to use the 'new site' (probably until I clear my cache). I don't like it, and given I don't browse this site on a tiny 5inch touchscreen, everything being huge (and easy to poke with fingers) does not and will never appeal to me.

For those who keep saying 'say what you don't like and how to fix it, don't just keep complaining', we have. There have been numerous threads. But, okay, I will.

Not UI related:

- Let us have an option to turn off adult mods for the front page, and the front page only.

- Let us block and favourite tags. If we favourite a certain tag, then a mod with that tag will appear, no matter what other tags the mod has that we've blocked.

- Add/remove/change some tags, such as how I suggested here, although that's a little outdated now. The follower/companion tags would be nice.

Site-wide:

- Return the font back to 13px. The 15px font either hurts my eyes (no, really) or makes me feel like I need to stand up and move away from my screen/decrease the zoom on the page to around 80%. This is especially relevant on the 'Recent Activity'/Recent Uploads page for some reason.

- Give option for smaller images. All images are currently 2-3x bigger than needed.

- Decrease wasted space above/below text and links. The box around a link (such as in the tracking centre/recent activity/etc.) makes it 2-3x larger than needed, especially when not using touchscreen.

Tracking Centre:

- Give an option for no images in the tracking centre. Half the time images have nothing to do with the mod in question anyway.

- Remove the game name from the tracking centre if viewed on the site for that game.

- Remove unnecessary titles. I know I'm in the tracking centre. I don't need to be told three times that that is where I am. The small title at the top is fine.

Result: This turns into this. Now I can see 16 mods instead of 8. Sadly, because I used uBlock to remove the unwanted elements instead of a CSS plugin of some kind, it just gets restored when the page reloads.

Mod Page:

I 'cheated' and used an existing browser plugin.

Result: This turns into this. Everything is condensed, and people can actually see there's more below that 'about this mod' section. Only thing it needs is for the tags to go back into its own tab.

Please?

^ That is the post you should be studying--very useful, and not just a single sentence expressing rage.

You know, I swore I was done with this thread, and I would have been.

Had it not been for the sheer idiocy of people posting in it.

Let me qualify that, because clearly, there are some people here who don't know how to post, which amazes me since some of those people have post counts over 1,000, and usually, by that time, you've pretty much mastered how to give useful critiques. Don't worry, staff. I got this one. In fact, this is what I live for.

So, let me get out the big red crayon for you.

Example 1: "Ohmygod, you wrecked my whole life! The new site sucks! Please go back!"

First, Oh, my God is a series of three words, not one, and requires proper punctuation. Second, your whole life? Really? Because your life was going so swimmingly before, and this is the one thing that will completely destroy it, right? Third, to use a phrase often heard in court, you have failed to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.

To whit, and feel free to copy and paste this to your desktop, your profile page, and your forehead:

Feedback requires two things: Stating the problem in its entirety, and stating specifically what you think needs to change.

Example 2: "Damn it, Robin! Your new site sucks! I hate the way the tiles look, and everything is so messy!"

Swing and a miss. Close, and getting better. Why don't you try it one more time, son?

Example 3: "Oh, my God, I hate the new site, and here are a list of ten things I find annoying that maybe if you change around a bit, it will make things a lot better." (Proceeds to list all ten items)

ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner! Let's see...opinion stated, check. Suggestions for how to fix it, check.

Both elements of a successful, if a bit confrontational, bit of feedback.

tl;dr:

"I hate the new site, and here's why" > "I hate the new site"

I was originally going to put each and everyone of you on blast in a spoiler box, but that would be a bit much; you know who you are, and you know what you did wrong. Now, why don't you go back, and use that Edit button to fix it so you give them something they can use to make the site better for everyone instead of simply using it as a feces-throwing contest in which you get to vent your rage over not only the site, but everything that has gone wrong in your life.

Point is, if you want these people, who owe you nothing, are letting you use their site for free, and put up with your whining on a daily basis (It's a damned good thing I'm not Robin, or there'd be a lot more bans) to make you the site you want, you have to work with them, and that means putting up something other than incoherent rage from loud mouth malcontents. Next time, try actually finishing the post with a suggestion on how you would improve the site.

Also,

I think you guys are doing a great job on the website, and while there's room for improvement, I think color-coding some of the buttons and updating the background artwork (which is probably lower-priority than getting the site to function right) will help improve the look and use-ability.

^ See? Feedback that's useful. And it's encouraging to read, not a crank piece that will make the designers throw their hands up and go, "Jesus, these people are never satisfied with anything!" and want to quit.

And that's all I have to say.

Edited by twowolves80

I find that the search function in the new version isn't as good as in the old one. In the new version I can only search by Mod name or author. In the old one I could also search by description, which is handy as sometimes that is the only place where what you are looking for is mentioned.

A little advice:
I guess you guys saw the negative comments in here so i wont just stupidly bash:
the new design is good in its IDEA but there are just to many things that are wrong for the site:
- the Mod descriptions. its awful to go to a mod and sometimes really have to search for the description, cuz some people like to have long text in both the short description and the long one
- the size. many elements are just unnecesary big or placed bed like example the stuff in the download section of a mod (if a mod has for example 30 optional downloads its really a pain in the ass to go through)or the description tab in the whole (there is like a third blank place in the tab for description while the font is so small)
- performance (i guess this will be fixed). it takes (for me as example) 4 times as long to load sth in compare to the old site
- description in hot files. the most hot files dont have a proper name so the adding of the short description would be nice. also maybe make a 5 files the same size (i mean I really looks ridculously huge and i have a 1360x860 laptop monitor)

i see thelayout has some similarities with mobile apps or Steam so i guess the goal is to connect it with Vortex or have both same layouts. while i guess the idea for the UI in a manager/launcher/downloader is okay (it should be made more compact imo) its horrible to have this for a website where the peoplewont to have much information as possible in less space than it is now

i think if you guys go with making the UI more compact the site will get better and get less negative comments

PS: to the people who just Post "its shitty, i dont like it, you are stupid, i hate the design but use nexus because its best place but still hate u all" try to write what exactly is wrong what you hate on the new design so the Nexus Team can edit everything to everybodys preference. If a teacher would just insult you after you do sth wrong, i guess you wouldnt also know what you did wrong, now wouldnt you? :wink:

In response to post #55255308. #55256923, #55257018, #55257068, #55257338, #55257343, #55259548, #55259848, #55259863, #55263213, #55263383, #55263583, #55271593, #55271953, #55272448 are all replies on the same post.

schnubbel76 wrote: I hate the new design. Since the nexusmods still is the best site for mods to me, i will stuck with you, but when the old design is shut down and only the new site is available, well.... i will stuck with you, but i will hate you forever at the same time for making me use the new design and i will hate myself for using it and not leaving nexus and i will hate everything from then on.
I hate you.
CreeperLava wrote: Is there really a need to be so agressive towards what is ultimately not that important ?
KensaiTonada wrote: I see you are not a financial supporter... so you're angry because something you get FREE is changing... what a putz.
Crusader33 wrote: Kids and teenagers LOVE it !!!!!!! Adults all hate it !!!!! Such is life We well have are revenge while in the nursing home for the next generation of kids well change there's as well !!!!
Dziggy wrote: The people saying they don't like the new design should really try to offer the Nexus Mods staff some actual constructive feedback. Simply saying that you don't like it is pointless. How can they improve the things that people don't like if they have no idea what those things are?
jsparks40 wrote: I think the OP is just being facetious people :tongue:
sopmac45 wrote: Well, if you hate yourself I am pretty sure that you hate humanity .... you are going into the dark path. Be careful. It is a fact, that nobody can give what they do not have. If you hate in your heart, you will hate everything and everybody that surround you. Too bad !

Nothing is forever in this life whoever you are; you were a baby before, then you grew up and became a teen, then you will grow up more and become an adult and one day probably an old woman/man and at your end, you will pass away. Nothing is forever. Accepting that reality is the key to be calm and peaceful.
Spart117MC wrote: A good number of us did offer constructive criticism and we were called backwards idiots for not liking change.
schnubbel76 wrote: Interesting how much confusion about my hate is out there. It's not like my life crashes to pieces about this. I just hate the new design. And i am saying it.

@ Dziggy: Why should i offer the nexus team constructive feedback for their project, when there is absolutely no need to change it. It would be great if they would change it to be better, but that is not the case. Why should i support something, that makes things worse than they are. Makes no sense.

My constructive feedback is the same, for both old, and new designs, and though the new is better in regards to my long standing complaint, it's just coincidentally better.

My complaint is simple, Most of the available space on my monitor is wasted on this site.

I don't mean titlebar/background, that does resize, I mean this subframe that contains all the actual content, and takes up little space;

So new sites better then, if still inadequate, when I expect it to use all the width?

Actually it somehow manages to fit even less content into that larger screen area.

So despite being wider, I see less content without scrolling, due to a combination of much bigger images, tiles etc, combined with large areas of shere wasted space.

Old - Even though a third of the available space is used by search options at the top, and totally wasted unerneath, I can get 21 full mod tiles on the screen
New - No search options to take a third of the screen here, but the size of each tile gives only 15 full mods.

I could live with the new layout better if it used my full screen area, though I do think a lot of the elements need shrinking a little as well.

Just make the scrollable page the entire page, and design it for the only devices that need to use the site, PC's (Including Laptops).

I don't see any need to even care about mobile layout, but if you need one, make that a secondary system. We can't use the mods on mobiles, so I see no need to visit the mod site with such devices.

That's better width, but even there it only uses 90% of the space, so could be better.

Thankfully I haven't yet been forced to use the 'new site' (probably until I clear my cache). I don't like it, and given I don't browse this site on a tiny 5inch touchscreen, everything being huge (and easy to poke with fingers) does not and will never appeal to me.

For those who keep saying 'say what you don't like and how to fix it, don't just keep complaining', we have. There have been numerous threads. But, okay, I will.

Not UI related:

- Let us have an option to turn off adult mods for the front page, and the front page only.

- Let us block and favourite tags. If we favourite a certain tag, then a mod with that tag will appear, no matter what other tags the mod has that we've blocked.

- Add/remove/change some tags, such as how I suggested here, although that's a little outdated now. The follower/companion tags would be nice.

Site-wide:

- Return the font back to 13px. The 15px font either hurts my eyes (no, really) or makes me feel like I need to stand up and move away from my screen/decrease the zoom on the page to around 80%. This is especially relevant on the 'Recent Activity'/Recent Uploads page for some reason.

- Give option for smaller images. All images are currently 2-3x bigger than needed.

- Decrease wasted space above/below text and links. The box around a link (such as in the tracking centre/recent activity/etc.) makes it 2-3x larger than needed, especially when not using touchscreen.

Tracking Centre:

- Give an option for no images in the tracking centre. Half the time images have nothing to do with the mod in question anyway.

- Remove the game name from the tracking centre if viewed on the site for that game.

- Remove unnecessary titles. I know I'm in the tracking centre. I don't need to be told three times that that is where I am. The small title at the top is fine.

Result: This turns into this. Now I can see 16 mods instead of 8. Sadly, because I used uBlock to remove the unwanted elements instead of a CSS plugin of some kind, it just gets restored when the page reloads.

Mod Page:

Result: This turns into this. Everything is condensed, and people can actually see there's more below that 'about this mod' section. Only thing it needs is for the tags to go back into its own tab.

Please?

+1 to everything plus I would get rid of "About this mod" because it will be useless 90% of the times. Instead I suggest adding an "About" after "Stats" so if you want to see the about you can go there.

Edited by Guest

In response to post #55275768.

Dimoniced wrote:

A little advice:
I guess you guys saw the negative comments in here so i wont just stupidly bash:
the new design is good in its IDEA but there are just to many things that are wrong for the site:
- the Mod descriptions. its awful to go to a mod and sometimes really have to search for the description, cuz some people like to have long text in both the short description and the long one
- the size. many elements are just unnecesary big or placed bed like example the stuff in the download section of a mod (if a mod has for example 30 optional downloads its really a pain in the ass to go through)or the description tab in the whole (there is like a third blank place in the tab for description while the font is so small)
- performance (i guess this will be fixed). it takes (for me as example) 4 times as long to load sth in compare to the old site
- description in hot files. the most hot files dont have a proper name so the adding of the short description would be nice. also maybe make a 5 files the same size (i mean I really looks ridculously huge and i have a 1360x860 laptop monitor)

i see thelayout has some similarities with mobile apps or Steam so i guess the goal is to connect it with Vortex or have both same layouts. while i guess the idea for the UI in a manager/launcher/downloader is okay (it should be made more compact imo) its horrible to have this for a website where the peoplewont to have much information as possible in less space than it is now

i think if you guys go with making the UI more compact the site will get better and get less negative comments

PS: to the people who just Post "its shitty, i dont like it, you are stupid, i hate the design but use nexus because its best place but still hate u all" try to write what exactly is wrong what you hate on the new design so the Nexus Team can edit everything to everybodys preference. If a teacher would just insult you after you do sth wrong, i guess you wouldnt also know what you did wrong, now wouldnt you? :wink:

I hate you.
jsparks40 wrote: I think the OP is just being facetious people :tongue:

Not UI related:

Site-wide:

Tracking Centre:

Mod Page:

Please?

+1 to everything plus I would get rid of "About this mod" because it will be useless 90% of the times. Instead I suggest adding an "About" after "Stats" so if you want to see the about you can go there.

i realy dislike the new disign 2 the onlt ting that woud in porove the nexus is a sound button on sound files like pics but for sounds