Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

I've been testing the new design a bit longer and have gotten used to it. I really only bother now that I can not set that as a default :) Otherwise good work. Many features are super useful and successful. Also the possibility to see directly on the homepage of a modpage, which translations and the like there is, is very useful and helpful for me. (by Google Translator)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55437843.

Lloydd94 wrote: I'm on my own opinion here, the new layout seems fine, to an extent. To me, and probably other users(though I cannot speak for them) find it difficult to find our way around the new layout. I saw a comment on this thread, not sure who posted it, saying why not do it like Youtube and allow users to use the old layout instead of the new layout if they'd like? Sure, the speed up gained from the new layout is nice and all, and I like that aspect of it since the older layout is a little slow for me and the new layout is much faster, but I can't navigate on the new layout too well. It may come in time I'm able to, and there may be a time I will start using the new layout, but I like the old layout much much better since I am able to find my way around much better. However, if I can find a video explaining how to navigate, then I'll switch after watching it.

I too like the old design better, it is easy to navigate so i honestly don't understand why they need to change it. Making the site run better (faster) is always nice, but i hope they aren't redesigning the layout just because it's the "hip" thing to do these days.

And to be brutally honest if you need an instruction video just to navigate a website, then there is something wrong with the design of that website.

Edit: The thing with the new site is that i feel it lacks a little of the visual appeal that the old site has, and there is something in the way mods are presented to me visually that is missing or lacking.

Might be that i feel the front page looks a lot more cluttered. Edited by Sinshiro

In response to post #55437843. #55442538 is also a reply to the same post.

Lloydd94 wrote: I'm on my own opinion here, the new layout seems fine, to an extent. To me, and probably other users(though I cannot speak for them) find it difficult to find our way around the new layout. I saw a comment on this thread, not sure who posted it, saying why not do it like Youtube and allow users to use the old layout instead of the new layout if they'd like? Sure, the speed up gained from the new layout is nice and all, and I like that aspect of it since the older layout is a little slow for me and the new layout is much faster, but I can't navigate on the new layout too well. It may come in time I'm able to, and there may be a time I will start using the new layout, but I like the old layout much much better since I am able to find my way around much better. However, if I can find a video explaining how to navigate, then I'll switch after watching it.
Sinshiro wrote: I too like the old design better, it is easy to navigate so i honestly don't understand why they need to change it. Making the site run better (faster) is always nice, but i hope they aren't redesigning the layout just because it's the "hip" thing to do these days.

And to be brutally honest if you need an instruction video just to navigate a website, then there is something wrong with the design of that website.

Edit: The thing with the new site is that i feel it lacks a little of the visual appeal that the old site has, and there is something in the way mods are presented to me visually that is missing or lacking.

Might be that i feel the front page looks a lot more cluttered.

I agree the old design is better and faster...for those of us who live in italy and other less developed countries...thats the most important part

I don't think the new design is bad, but as others have posted it seems more designed for a mobile device. The site looks and works beautifully on a smartphone. But I access the site from my desktop more often, and the density of information seems worse on that than on mobile. For example, if I search for a mod on mobile, I can see four mod page tile thumbnails and the entirety of their description, but on desktop I can only see three mod tile thumbnails with descriptions, the end of the description from mods on the row above and part of the picture from the row below. If the tiles that lead to the mod page had five tiles going across instead of three, viewability would be better, especially on the larger screens that desktops usually have. Other than that, so far the site seems well organized, and I can usually find what I am looking for quickly. I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into maintaining this site and the large undertaking you took with a site redesign and new mod managers development at the same time. Edited by firemannix

Ok I tested the new design and I really prefer the old one. This is very confusing and it isn't faster for me, on the contrary. It needs longer to load. It seems, that the new design is created for mobile use, in fact it's pretty cool there, but not for desktop. And I 95% use desktop. So please give us the chance to use the old design. I don't want to work through a tutoril, just to find my profil.

In response to post #55451253.

xxxsdxxx5 wrote: Ok I tested the new design and I really prefer the old one. This is very confusing and it isn't faster for me, on the contrary. It needs longer to load. It seems, that the new design is created for mobile use, in fact it's pretty cool there, but not for desktop. And I 95% use desktop. So please give us the chance to use the old design. I don't want to work through a tutoril, just to find my profil.

It's in the top right corner mate, just like it was in the old layout. A majority of the old design features are in similar places in the new ones, and saying you can't find me makes me believe you're either blind or misleading.

In response to post #55385813. #55403098, #55424833, #55429343, #55431058 are all replies on the same post.

TheKlingonHamlet wrote: Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.
I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.
I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.
Dreizopf wrote: This!

"I can't tell what's a button and what is not"

This is the problem of all smartphone app layouts and should not be used on desktops.
Eolhin wrote: I have to agree with this apt description of the problem telling buttons from things that are not.
Pushkatu wrote: I'm also not a very big fan of the new design. OP said it all, but I'm sure things will get better in the future, you guys always have a way of doing things that in the end, turn out to be great. Keep up the good work!
Hekkaryk wrote: Well I'm loving it so far :) Then again, I love Windows 10 design too...

Ah, I could not set the Win 10 desktop back to the legacy Windows desktop fast enough. Thank the gods they had that option.

In response to post #55385813. #55403098, #55424833, #55429343, #55431058, #55452048 are all replies on the same post.

TheKlingonHamlet wrote: Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.
I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.
I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.
Dreizopf wrote: This!

"I can't tell what's a button and what is not"

This is the problem of all smartphone app layouts and should not be used on desktops.
Eolhin wrote: I have to agree with this apt description of the problem telling buttons from things that are not.
Pushkatu wrote: I'm also not a very big fan of the new design. OP said it all, but I'm sure things will get better in the future, you guys always have a way of doing things that in the end, turn out to be great. Keep up the good work!
Hekkaryk wrote: Well I'm loving it so far :) Then again, I love Windows 10 design too...
Eolhin wrote: Ah, I could not set the Win 10 desktop back to the legacy Windows desktop fast enough. Thank the gods they had that option.

The more I use the new layout, the more I dislike it.

Flat design used to be standard a long time ago, I mean a loooong time, like back when forums were first invented. There was a reason we (by we I mean every fracking forum on the planet, practically) moved *away* from the flat model. Now it seems the latest fad is to go back to flat, and it's just a horrid, messy waste of screen space, especially with so many people moving to small screens, but even for those of us who keep moving to larger and larger screens. I get larger screens to display *more* information, not so forums can waste even more of my screen space with emptiness or filler.

I hope at the very least we can select another theme that does not have the putrid pastel colour scheme.
Edited by GlassDeviant

What I would like to see is for the mod search to either default to no attribute filters, or allow configurable default attribute filters per user. I just redid my entire setup, and there were a couple of times where I would find no results for a mod name, because the default-selected attributes were filtering it out. It's honestly faster to search the mod in google and click the nexus link there than try to find which attribute is filtering it out. Note that I have used exact copy/pastes of the mod name from the mod's nexus page (to make sure I wasn't going crazy) and gotten the same results. Defaulting to no selected filters (unless they were already set) would solve this problem, as would allowing users to configure which filters we want selected by default.

EDIT: I would also like to see the search respect the mod selected in the mods tab dropdown; eg, if I have skyrim selected, when I search I will only see results for skyrim and not for skyrim SE. Ideally, I'd like to see this as a new post parameter so I can set my browser's address bar to use it.

Edited by Angiath