Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #55461293.

Anthedon wrote:

Is there no longer a way to limit searching to a particular game? The search function in the new layout turns up results from all games. Which makes it almost useless.

There is a way to limit searching to a particular game. First click on the "game" tab and select the particular game whose mods you want to search. Then enter your search word(s) and proceed with the search. If you don't select a particular game, then indeed you will search the entire Nexus game library. You can select a game either through the favorites menu (if you've already set that up) or from the list of all games included in the Nexus library.

Doesn't work. Select Skyrim special Edition e.g from the "Game:" tab. You are then on the URL: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition The subcategory for Skyrim SE. Next, search for "blood". From the first 12 resulting mods, only the first is from Skyrim SE. The others are form Oldrim, Fallout or Dragon Age: Origins.

The search result is not always that bad. I just searched an extreme search example to show. Can be that you searched some words and everything went fine so you didnt experienced this issue. E.g. searching for "immersive" only lists sse mods. "Armor" just one wrong mod.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, i liked the old design, but....

I love the new design. It looks fresher and is easier to navigate. I have to admit though, that i needed a day to get used to it, but now i am comfortable with it and think that it is much better than the old one. Sometimes you simply have to embrace change.

In response to post #55385813. #55403098, #55424833, #55429343, #55431058, #55452048, #55453283, #55453953, #55454268, #55460353 are all replies on the same post.

TheKlingonHamlet wrote: Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.
I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.
I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.
Dreizopf wrote: This!

"I can't tell what's a button and what is not"

This is the problem of all smartphone app layouts and should not be used on desktops.
Eolhin wrote: I have to agree with this apt description of the problem telling buttons from things that are not.
Pushkatu wrote: I'm also not a very big fan of the new design. OP said it all, but I'm sure things will get better in the future, you guys always have a way of doing things that in the end, turn out to be great. Keep up the good work!
Hekkaryk wrote: Well I'm loving it so far :) Then again, I love Windows 10 design too...
Eolhin wrote: Ah, I could not set the Win 10 desktop back to the legacy Windows desktop fast enough. Thank the gods they had that option.
GlassDeviant wrote: The more I use the new layout, the more I dislike it.

Flat design used to be standard a long time ago, I mean a loooong time, like back when forums were first invented. There was a reason we (by we I mean every fracking forum on the planet, practically) moved *away* from the flat model. Now it seems the latest fad is to go back to flat, and it's just a horrid, messy waste of screen space, especially with so many people moving to small screens, but even for those of us who keep moving to larger and larger screens. I get larger screens to display *more* information, not so forums can waste even more of my screen space with emptiness or filler.

I hope at the very least we can select another theme that does not have the putrid pastel colour scheme.
blevins9109 wrote: Couldn't agree more. This went from one of the most navigable websites I use to one of the least navigable.
davidsalter wrote: i just spent 5 minutes on this new layout trying to find scrap mods for fallout 4, and i got so many skyrim and oblivion mods in the list especially ones that didnt even have scrap in the name that i just gave up.
can i have the old layout back?
aragonit wrote: I wholeheartedly agree with you!

the new design is indeed a cancer. I dont care if someone is using their phone to access the site they shouldnt be. Go to your pc and go on the nexus your phone is for making phone calls not looking for mods you cannot down load until your on your pc anyway.

In response to post #55467408.

tomsite wrote: Seriously, i liked the old design, but....

I love the new design. It looks fresher and is easier to navigate. I have to admit though, that i needed a day to get used to it, but now i am comfortable with it and think that it is much better than the old one. Sometimes you simply have to embrace change.

No I dont have to embrace change. I will fight change for the sake of changing tooth and nail until the old site dies or I do. The new site design is a spawn of satan

In response to post #55465363.

4UBoote wrote:

In response to post #55461293.

Anthedon wrote:

Is there no longer a way to limit searching to a particular game? The search function in the new layout turns up results from all games. Which makes it almost useless.

There is a way to limit searching to a particular game. First click on the "game" tab and select the particular game whose mods you want to search. Then enter your search word(s) and proceed with the search. If you don't select a particular game, then indeed you will search the entire Nexus game library. You can select a game either through the favorites menu (if you've already set that up) or from the list of all games included in the Nexus library.

Doesn't work. Select Skyrim special Edition e.g from the "Game:" tab. You are then on the URL: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition The subcategory for Skyrim SE. Next, search for "blood". From the first 12 resulting mods, only the first is from Skyrim SE. The others are form Oldrim, Fallout or Dragon Age: Origins.

The search result is not always that bad. I just searched an extreme search example to show. Can be that you searched some words and everything went fine so you didnt experienced this issue. E.g. searching for "immersive" only lists sse mods. "Armor" just one wrong mod.

You're right! The search function doesn't always work correctly after all. Previously I had done some searches in Fallout 4 with words of limited range and had no problems. But then, after reading your post, I tried "blood" for SSE and got essentially the same results as you did. I then tried to refine the search parameters, but to no avail. This appears to be a bug that needs to be reported, if it hasn't already been.

Update: I checked the bug issue tracker in GitHub and found bug report #381, which deals with this search issue. It appears there are folk who are working seriously on this problem. Edited by Augusta Calidia

In response to post #55467408. #55468318 is also a reply to the same post.

ironside31 wrote: No I dont have to embrace change. I will fight change for the sake of changing tooth and nail until the old site dies or I do. The new site design is a spawn of satan

""" No I dont have to embrace change. I will fight change for the sake of changing tooth and nail until the old site dies or I do. The new site design is a spawn of satan """" .....

.... I am lighting a candle for you then ... hope your afterlife take you to some place very warm !!

Whoa. Whoa, wait, what? I decide to explode FO4 after many months away from it, desperately need to update my mods, and come back to see... this? What in the abyss happened to permit the Nexus' design to get to THIS? I'm reminded of Blizzard's decision to redesign the World of WarCraft website. It went from nice and functional to a poorly thought out piece of mobile trash.

Yeesh. Looks like I'm going to cling to the old version for as long as possible. After it goes away... Well, crap. Pray no great, easily modded game comes out ever again with this as its beating heart? It isn't like any of these opinions really matter now. This is going forward and that's that. Such is the way of things.

In response to post #55467408. #55468318, #55468908 are all replies on the same post.

ironside31 wrote: No I dont have to embrace change. I will fight change for the sake of changing tooth and nail until the old site dies or I do. The new site design is a spawn of satan
sopmac45 wrote: """ No I dont have to embrace change. I will fight change for the sake of changing tooth and nail until the old site dies or I do. The new site design is a spawn of satan """" .....

.... I am lighting a candle for you then ... hope your afterlife take you to some place very warm !!

Thing is, it's not change for the sake of change. There are a lot of things that were wanted which the old site design did not permit, so I understand that change was needed. What grates upon me is the way in which the UI was redesigned into an abomination of wasted space. Just one example: The Nine forbid you need to ctrl+ your browser for readability (ctrl+ and ctrl- enlarge and reduce browser element scale, for those who weren't aware), it's bad enough at normal scale that on a mod page you have to scroll way down the page now just to get to the menu for the mod (description|files|image|videos|docs|posts|etc).
Edited by GlassDeviant

OK, entirely aside from my love-hate relationship with the new design, there are a few things that I want to point out, two regarding the actual design and the other just a minor point about the game categories:

1) When you click on the Game: X menu header just below the banner, there is no indication whatsoever what clicking on it will do, namely clear the Game selected and switch to "All Games". Perhaps a tooltop or something that says "clear game selection" would be in order here.

2) A setting somewhere to define a different number of favourite games, and a list mode instead of panels if you want a more compact view (or, say, more than 10 games). As of now it was easy to fill 7 of the 8 slots with games I tend to mod a lot (as in, a new mod set for every playthrough), if I were to include even half the games I've ever modded from the available list, much less ones I would like to, I can barely begin.

3) Dragon Age. There are three DA games: Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but on Nexus the first game in the series is incorrectly named just "Dragon Age". Not a big deal, but it grates on my OCD.

Cheers

Edited by GlassDeviant