Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56116056. #56148496, #56151416 are all replies on the same post.

lazman555 wrote:
Right now nexus is perfect, the mods here are of very high quality, and as a modder this site provides a very laid back approach to mod development. I think if you add money to this process you will break it. Atm i have no problem with people taking my mods and changing them, and i can do that to other mods, but when money is involved this will change everything.
SunJeong wrote: This x1000. We see people already getting hurt by the lack of endorsements. Bring money into this and that negative feeling will increase two fold. Plus we will soon realize that the points will mostly be hogged by the top 10 most popular mod authors and their supporters who promote their content through video. Pure popularity contest. A simple retexture by a popular mod author will far outweigh a DLC sized mod made by an unknown newbie in terms of unique downloads. I've seen it happens numerous numerous times.

Getting my popcorn ready to see what will happen with this.
Hilli1 wrote: Totally agree with you both but it seems the majority of the user here is happy about the new donation system. From this point of view Dark0ne is right here and we have to accept it.

Its not about right or wrong. It's about the drama that already exists which MAY, key word may, be amplified by this system. Just gonna point out that I dont care whether or not we have this system but for many users they do care. When the idea of "winning", or in this case gaining something for your mods comes into play it will no doubt upset some people.

People often criticize and complain that the FO4 section of modding is mostly filled with body presets or looks menu presets. We will perhaps see more of these mods with these new incentives. Simiarly, people criticize that the majority of mods in Skyrim SE are companion mods and ports. Likewise, we will see even more ports (not a bad thing) and even more companions because of these incentives. Plus there will be the drama of how donation points are allocated and what's agreed upon between both authors. I hope I'm wrong about this but I'm only saying this based on the fact that this drama is already here just because endorsements exists. Whenever I asked permissions for porting some mods, authors have insisted that I linked their mod pages so that they get some of those endorsements. Again, not a bad thing and they should get endorsements but that is just an example of potential drama to be created just from endorsements. Ive also had mod authors say "You can port it but let me publish it."

Not saying it's a bad system. All Im saying is that the amount of people complaining and moaning will increase. As well as unnecessary drama between users and even between mod authors. THAT is why I'm getting my popcorn ready. To watch the drama that ensues on reddit and on various forums. Edited by Guest

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56116056. #56148496, #56151416, #56155606 are all replies on the same post.

lazman555 wrote:
Right now nexus is perfect, the mods here are of very high quality, and as a modder this site provides a very laid back approach to mod development. I think if you add money to this process you will break it. Atm i have no problem with people taking my mods and changing them, and i can do that to other mods, but when money is involved this will change everything.
SunJeong wrote: This x1000. We see people already getting hurt by the lack of endorsements. Bring money into this and that negative feeling will increase two fold. Plus we will soon realize that the points will mostly be hogged by the top 10 most popular mod authors and their supporters who promote their content through video. Pure popularity contest. A simple retexture by a popular mod author will far outweigh a DLC sized mod made by an unknown newbie in terms of unique downloads. I've seen it happens numerous numerous times.

Hilli1 wrote: Totally agree with you both but it seems the majority of the user here is happy about the new donation system. From this point of view Dark0ne is right here and we have to accept it.
SunJeong wrote: Its not about right or wrong. It's about the drama that already exists which MAY, key word may, be amplified by this system. Just gonna point out that I dont care whether or not we have this system but for many users they do care. When the idea of "winning", or in this case gaining something for your mods comes into play it will no doubt upset some people.

People often criticize and complain that the FO4 section of modding is mostly filled with body presets or looks menu presets. We will perhaps see more of these mods with these new incentives. Simiarly, people criticize that the majority of mods in Skyrim SE are companion mods and ports. Likewise, we will see even more ports (not a bad thing) and even more companions because of these incentives. Plus there will be the drama of how donation points are allocated and what's agreed upon between both authors. I hope I'm wrong about this but I'm only saying this based on the fact that this drama is already here just because endorsements exists. Whenever I asked permissions for porting some mods, authors have insisted that I linked their mod pages so that they get some of those endorsements. Again, not a bad thing and they should get endorsements but that is just an example of potential drama to be created just from endorsements. Ive also had mod authors say "You can port it but let me publish it."

Not saying it's a bad system. All Im saying is that the amount of people complaining and moaning will increase. As well as unnecessary drama between users and even between mod authors. THAT is why I'm getting my popcorn ready. To watch the drama that ensues on reddit and on various forums.

Exactly what I think.

In response to post #56136371. #56138101, #56140096, #56141861, #56143336, #56143806, #56144121 are all replies on the same post.

megamanx503 wrote: please correct me if i'm wrong about this because i'm paranoid about "paid mods"

will this mean modders can make there mods "paid" like how the CC is all paid mods, or will this be "hey good modders get money from donations while the mods are still free for the users, aka, no paywall for mods"
H3X1C wrote: Please read the post in it's entirety
megamanx503 wrote: i have read it, and i can't find the spot where they say clearly that "it's not paid mods"
Finaldeath1689 wrote: The whole thing clearly states that it's not paid mods. For users nothing will change, you can still download and use any mod on the site completely free. For mod makers there will be a pool of money each month made up from money from Nexus itself and people who decide to donate towards that pool, that pool of money will be distributed in the form of points based on the number of mods and number of unique downloads each of those mods has in that time frame, those points can then be used towards a variety of things.
Totalstupidity wrote: It will be paid mods later, but for now they plan to draw the line a little closer in the sand as they slowly inch towards that while making people comfortable with the changes. Corporations do that all the time. Saw it done with DLC, microtransactions, and B2P/B2P games, you know, the stuff that ruined gaming. Like right now Valve is working to make Workshop the must have modding system and it has mostly killed Nexus, and so Valve will be bringing back paid mods again in the next few years, but this time for many games.
Finaldeath1689 wrote: Mods here will never be paid, the second they start selling mods is the second they get flooded with lawsuits from the devs/publishers of every game this site hosts mods for. There is not a single game out there that allows paid mods, donations are already riding the line and for most games mods are against the tos entirely.
Ethreon wrote: It's a reward, nobody will pay you to make mods here.

"It will be paid mods later,[...]." Please stop making up imaginary situations based on your dreams from last night.

Valve will be bringing back paid mods again in the next few years, but this time for many games.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but they've been doing that for years already. Skyrim was not the first, nor will it be the last.

In response to post #56116056.

lazman555 wrote:

This x1000. We see people already getting hurt by the lack of endorsements. Bring money into this and that negative feeling will increase two fold. Plus we will soon realize that the points will mostly be hogged by the top 10 most popular mod authors and their supporters who promote their content through video. Pure popularity contest. A simple retexture by a popular mod author will far outweigh a DLC sized mod made by an unknown newbie in terms of unique downloads. I've seen it happens numerous numerous times.

Please list the numerous times where DLC-sized mods were released and ignored. Make it easy, name five. No, make it really easy; name three. It happened numerous numerous times and I do miss a lot of things.

You had nothing and are entitled to nothing; you have the potential to get something on a mostly even playing field - why complain? Even if you get nothing you are no worse off than before. Do you want a fair marketplace? If this is not it, what would be according to you?

In response to post #56122481. #56122606 is also a reply to the same post.

Niborino9409 wrote:

2) Quantity over quality. System abuse. Why work harder on a complex mod if there's real possibility to get most downloads with lowest effort, and users still gonna love it? Important thing: popularity != quality. Endless armors and weapons nifskope mash-ups, rule-of-cool small mods that catch an eye, etc. I'm not saying these types of mods are bad. But increasing amount of them leads to decreasing number of, let's say, quest mods. Or general gameplay mods.

When you have these two forces in action on a constant basis, only result is decay.

p.s. Right now we have people that are abusing "HOT files" that works in a similar way: popularity. Imagine money involvement. Hot files abuse will be a joke in comparison.

Regarding point # 2, you forget that that not all authors will mod for points. There's a demographic that mod for their own sake too. Like I'm not going to start churning out big boob followers just because that would yield more points. I'd rather do mods that I like to do regardless of the points. And I'm hoping more authors think that way too, we all started and stayed cause it was fun and we enjoy it.

And I second that, what's "Hot files abuse"? :huh:

Xilandro wrote: You can't talk for everyone, that's the problem. Only thing that I know for sure - money changes the way people think. Even the best of us can fall for it.

about hotfiles abuse - read my reply to Dark0ne

There are hundreds of mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4, more than 3 thousand for each game ... quantity but not quality ... I will happily reward a mod author who develop a very good to excellent mod and that is the reason that for either game, I do not have more than a 100 mods, simply, because the rest, for me and IMHO, are not really good. Have 71 in Fallout 4 and 97 in Skyrim ... Nexus cannot stop people from creating mods and publish them but I guess it will depend on the community to rate and reward only the mods that we believe are really good.

I have no problem with seeing mod authors being rewarded with a system implemented by the Nexus.

The problem I see at the moment with this is the Quantity over quality mentioned already.

Nexus can encourage modders to post quality work, rather than fast mods.

How the Nexus rewards them is a big part of that. Lets just say a "Quality reward system".

Who cares. The end user who is searching for mods while creating a load order.

I am constantly amazed at how many people down load files and can't be bothered to even endorse. I am not saying every mod deserves an endorsement, but the majority do.

Some of the tools needed for creating some of the mods are very spendy, not to mention a top notch PC to run it. Authors should receive some sort of compensation for quality work.

One problem is just finding some of the good mods on Nexus. The Nexus search frequently fails to find files even with the correct key words, it may find one or two files, but ignore others. Google search usually works better then the on board search for me.

I don't know how you would make QC work. Maybe let free enterprise work, the more the file is down loaded, and endorsed, then balance between the two.

I think this a great idea, and personally i feel all the comment i have seen saying otherwise are just Fear Mongering, that's not to say i don't want you to post your feelings, I believe in Freedom of speech, just not propaganda of the dangers of giving people money.

So here is the real reason i decide to post, would it be possible to select the game or games you want the donations to go to when we make a donation to the nexus for this, The way it seems now this will be great for a few modding scenes and kinda pointless for a lot of others. To be blunt, The Bethesda modding Scenes on Nexus will really gain from this, and maybe even Witcher Modders, But Like Most of the others will never really see this work for them. I just saying maybe it would be cool to let the donator decide the scene they want to support. This could defeat the purpose some how, but this could also really be a Boon to this system as well.