Has Bethesda acknowledged how broken Patch 1.5 is yet?

ProjectVRD

It would really be best if they could announce patches as an open beta first, allowing modders to download it, play with it, and check everything is ok for a week or two, before the patch gets pushed to everyone automatically via steam.

You do know that this is what they do, right? You sign up for the beta via steam. It's been like that for a while now. The 1.5 was in beta for a week if not longer.

I run a buttload of mods and didn't have problems until 1.5. Took this week and deactivated EVERYTHING, then played around with adding them back and mix and matching. From all my testing, 90% of the CTD's I've had all relate to housing mods. Not sure exactly what has occured in relation to the new patch and housing, but those seem to be the biggest offenders for me...

Be aware that just deactivating mods may not be solution, sometimes this can worsen things yet more, This is specially true to save games.

I'm not sure about what is meant by deactivating there, if is just ticking off the esp or actually removing all the files.

I actually go through removing the files after disabling them in NMM. I've found a lot of times stray files still exist through an NMM uninstall. So basically I reverted to a completely vanilla game, then began to add the mods in order of character looks first, then abilities, then retextures, then new items/armor, followed by follower mods, then actual game changing mods such as deadly dragons and whatnot.

With each install I followed the BOSS suggestions for load orders unless the mod instructed otherwise...

Edited by Mithoron

It does beg the question if there will be a finalised version of this game, instead of fixing all the problems they are wasting a little time by adding new features which are not needed... such as archery killcams. If they keep going like this then there will be an update every three weeks, perhaps Bethesda need to change their release schedules, one patch release every two or three months... otherwise it is a constant race for the modders to catch up.

I can understand what you folks are saying though, they are fixing according to the vanilla build. But with the overly rapid release policy they are indirectly introducing CTD's via mods which become incompatible on a much more regular basis. It would be more bareable if it happened in February, then again in May, the again in August. Instead Janurary, February, March, April.

I feel like they should slow down the releases, make the patches include more fixes, leave out any additions like archery killcams, give a proper one month long open Beta period. No matter what, one week is far to short... I work in an environment that does testing and one week is a seriously flawed decision. Especially when the Beta is often very different from the final patch release, there should be zero difference apart from version number. Mind you it is not only Bethesda that do testing peroids badly, it is a gaming industry issue.... they simply have no idea how to plan these things in a properly or to a professional standard. It is essentially a case of rushing.

EDIT: Now after reading through what just wrote, is sounds like a rant lol... not my intention. :laugh:

Edited by ProjectVRD

Sometimes, disabling mods does make things worse. Many mods make changes to your game that are stored in your save game, not in the mod. This includes changes to perks and spells, moving of doors and important objects, and player values. Disabling these mods does nothing in terms of stabilizing your game. In fact, it can worsen the situation, as now the value in your save game no longer matches what it should be in the game itself. Ditto for the location of objects. Some objects should never be moved, and in Oblivion, merchant containers and doorways were two big offenders. People moved doors and chests, and when these mods were removed, the location change in the save game did not match the location of the object in the game world, causing CTD.

As for the patch itself...its crap. My FPS has slowed steadily since the first patch. Once, I played this game on Ultra with 50 - 60 fps. Now, I have an AMD Phenom Quad Core black ed. 8gb RAM. Nvidia GTX460 with 2GB RAM. 7200rpm HDD and a liquid cooled CPU. Pretty solid rig, Witcher 2 on Medium with some high settings, no FPS hit.

But Skyrim...I have to run shadows on medium now. Medium. For skyrim. And that is without - yes, without, the high res pack. Pathetic, really.

And worse yet, I know why this happened.

See, when the game was released a legion of largely impatient people began adding things to their game prior to the release of proper tools. They began loading mods made with tools not intended for Skyrim. They used the console to change settings and actor values, kill actors, add items and progress quests when they got lazy. They played with god mode on when it was dangerous to do so. They introduced interior cells made with tools meant not only for other games, but other game engines to boot, and then "tweaked" with tools no one really fully understands to work in Skyrim.

And their games began crashing.

Now, this is not to say that some people did not have problems that are legitimately the developer's fault. I know they did. It happens, especially on PC given the absurd number of possible hardware combinations on this platform. But this many people, this often? I doubt it. I very seriously doubt it.

Nonetheless, the outcry for patches began and Bethesda had to do something. So they did. And with every "fix" they broke something else. I find myself wondering for how much longer their game will remain playable at all, and whether its already broken beyond anyone's ability to truly fix it. When you add in the old Gamebryo bugs carried over to this engine - navmesh issues chief among them, with the ability to allot conflicting AI packs to a character a close second - when you add these things into fan-made troubles with mods and patches, well...its a recipe for disaster and I wonder whether it can even be fixed, more less what doing so might require.

No problems for me. I have about 10 mods running including a magic overhaul mod, but I have specifically avoided anything that requires SKSE or the likes to avoid update issues. The rate of patches will go down eventually and then will stop altogether... I hope they keep releasing fixes for a while, already for me this is the most stable Elder Scrolls game and hopefully they will continue to improve it.

My framerate improved with 1.5 patch also game runs much smoother now, even I can max all settings now with 6950 with fps 40-90, had 3 CTD's earlier, but they were probably from mods - I haven't had any problems of any kind with the patch. I have around 100 mods all working better than ever. Now game has even better graphics too. So that's my experience about this broken game patch. Edited by ScorpionHunter

Seems to go the same way with every patch. It's released and everyone is up in arms about how it ruined the game and now they're screwed. Then after a week it all quiets down as they realize it wasn't the patch that screwed up the game but something they had done. Apparently the main cause of problems with this one are all the housing mods.

I'm sure there are some legitimate flaws with the patch and that it probably did mess things up for a few people. But as a previous poster said, that's to be expected with the variety of builds for everyone's PC.

@BlackCompany Your rig is much much better than mine, any thoughts as to how the patches may be slowing your equipment down, while my modest PC has seen performance increases with every patch? Just curious why this might be. Are they tailoring more to mid-to-lower end machines, why would there be a difference? I can't run AA, AF, or FXAA without getting stuttering, but I have every setting on high(except shadows which is medium) and all view distances maxed and it runs very smoothly, especially after the 1.5 update. Here's what I'm working with

Intel XII dual core (not sure of ghz as I'm not there right now)

2Gb ram

Radon HD4550 1Gb DDR2

Win7 64-bit

Edited by thompsonar