Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

Watched the video in YouTube and it does not looks complicated but obviously, completely different to NMM ( never used MO btw ) so there will be a learning curve to deal it. What really called my attention are the mod dependencies and I cannot deny this is super important in any game but how would I know which mod should take precedent ?

For some, they probably would know what to do since they are more advanced players but for the vast majority ( and even though I know how to use xEdit / CK and I have created some custom mods and patches ) including myself, how would we know which mod should win the conflict ? Any hint ? Is there any practical and simple advise ? How would a player that has no experience at all, automate the load order arranged by Vortex to its best possible order so they can play their game without getting into too many headaches ?

Thanks for your response!

P.S. Question for Tannin : are you going to put out a detailed tutorial so we can learn this stuff explained directly by the creator ? I am pretty sure Tannin that everybody ( non-advanced and advance players ) will appreciate that. I am pretty sure that Vortex is much better than NMM and for those who used MO, perhaps it will be easier to understand Vortex but not for those who never had any experience with MO. Please, put out a tutorial whenever you can explaining how to use it and I thank you in advance for everything you have done. Thanks a million !

Edited by sopmac45

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57329961.

sopmac45 wrote: Watched the video in YouTube and it does not looks complicated but obviously, completely different to NMM ( never used MO btw ) so there will be a learning curve to deal it. What really called my attention are the mod dependencies and I cannot deny this is super important in any game but how would I know which mod should take precedent ?

For some, they probably would know what to do since they are more advanced players but for the vast majority ( and even though I know how to use xEdit / CK and I have created some custom mods and patches ) including myself, how would we know which mod should win the conflict ? Any hint ? Is there any practical and simple advise ? How would a player that has no experience at all, automate the load order arranged by Vortex to its best possible order so they can play their game without getting into too many headaches ?

P.S. Question for Tannin : are you going to put out a detailed tutorial so we can learn this stuff explained directly by the creator ? I am pretty sure Tannin that everybody ( non-advanced and advance players ) will appreciate that. I am pretty sure that Vortex is much better than NMM and for those who used MO, perhaps it will be easier to understand Vortex but not for those who never had any experience with MO. Please, put out a tutorial whenever you can explaining how to use it and I thank you in advance for everything you have done. Thanks a million !

With mod conflicts it almost never matters or rather: It's a matter of taste, you pick the mod that you prefer.
Next thing to check would be the description of the mod author obviously, if his mod is incompatible with another one, he will learn about it sooner or later so there is a good chance he already provides advice on what goes first.

Apart from that my advice would be: Don't install a hundred mods at once. Install only a few at a time, ideally mods that don't conflict with each other and play with those. If you notice new problems coming up it is likely related to your latest batch of mods and then you can just try around by swapping the install order for the new mod(s) with the ones they conflict with.
Often it's just some common sense: two mods that change vampirism have a good chance to conflict with each other and to cause problems that are related to vampirism.
If you find assume a pair of mods causes a problem, disable one and see if it goes away, then swap them to see if they work if you change the load order.

The ultimate goal for Vortex is of course to build up knowledge about conflicts and best solution order in the masterlist for loot and in a custom solution for mods, so we reach a point where a user with no experience is very rarely even in the situation that he has to reorder the lists.

To answer your second question: There will be tutorial videos by others. I'm not the best at explaining things for beginners. Plus I'm not a native speaker so I wouldn't be particularly comfortable recording a vid and you wouldn't be comfortable trying to understand it... ;)
But we also plan a written FAQs and a knowledge base so people can get info directly from the source. Edited by Tannin42

Having had problems with trying to run Skyrim SE, it looked like I was not going to be able to play either Skyrim or the Special Edition with or without mods. Vortex is a real game changer, the Vanilla game ran without any trouble. So I decided to install a few mods, where before I could not get them to run with any Mod Manager with Vortex I had no issues. Thankfully there have been no bugs or issues with this Mod Manager. A brilliant layout and a job well done.

In response to post #57329961. #57330676 is also a reply to the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: Watched the video in YouTube and it does not looks complicated but obviously, completely different to NMM ( never used MO btw ) so there will be a learning curve to deal it. What really called my attention are the mod dependencies and I cannot deny this is super important in any game but how would I know which mod should take precedent ?

Tannin42 wrote: With mod conflicts it almost never matters or rather: It's a matter of taste, you pick the mod that you prefer.
Next thing to check would be the description of the mod author obviously, if his mod is incompatible with another one, he will learn about it sooner or later so there is a good chance he already provides advice on what goes first.

Apart from that my advice would be: Don't install a hundred mods at once. Install only a few at a time, ideally mods that don't conflict with each other and play with those. If you notice new problems coming up it is likely related to your latest batch of mods and then you can just try around by swapping the install order for the new mod(s) with the ones they conflict with.
Often it's just some common sense: two mods that change vampirism have a good chance to conflict with each other and to cause problems that are related to vampirism.
If you find assume a pair of mods causes a problem, disable one and see if it goes away, then swap them to see if they work if you change the load order.

The ultimate goal for Vortex is of course to build up knowledge about conflicts and best solution order in the masterlist for loot and in a custom solution for mods, so we reach a point where a user with no experience is very rarely even in the situation that he has to reorder the lists.

To answer your second question: There will be tutorial videos by others. I'm not the best at explaining things for beginners. Plus I'm not a native speaker so I wouldn't be particularly comfortable recording a vid and you wouldn't be comfortable trying to understand it... ;)
But we also plan a written FAQs and a knowledge base so people can get info directly from the source.

No problem Tannin42, thanks so much for responding. You've helped me more than you thought and thanks so much for Vortex.

I have a bug here I don't know how to resolve.

Zip file: MiasLair_V62B_Full_SE.7z

== Interface

==meshes

==scripts

==SEQ

==sound

==Textures

MiasLair.esp

This file installs correctly on both NMM and MO2.

In Vortex, all that winds up in mods is the contents of meshes/MiasLair. That is just a bunch of NIFs.

These get installed by Vortex in the base Skyrim SE directory; not even under Data.

All other files, including the ESP, are ignored.

I have tried adding an extra name at the top of the structure, and tried adding Data as the top entry. These had no effect.

Any ideas? Things I should try? I do hate interrupting the people casting shade with an actual question. Keep up the good fight!

Edited by rmm200

In response to post #57269631. #57270631, #57273841, #57278481, #57280661 are all replies on the same post.

mccauleykevinj wrote: I am somewhat astonished that Vortex has no support for downloading mods from Nexus Mods. This would seem crucial. I tried copying the link and manually typing it in, still no go. I have to download a RAR file to my machine, and then attempt to import the mod. After doing that, I have to then go thru and attempt to install the mod, but Vortex often times will not actually activate/enable the mod. I am afraid that I will be going back to NMM because at this time, with all the things that Vortex can't do, it has just become a darker themed version of LOOT, and even that it gets wrong often times.
cortex56 wrote: @mccauleykevinj,
What exactly did you have issues with? I uninstalled all active mods from NMM and purged loose files.
I am currently downloading all 156 mods I normally use and am about 40 mods into it with no issues yet.
Click the download with NMM button on the website, get a notification in Vortex under the mods tab, that x mod has been downloaded and an Install button next to it. Click the Install button, it installs and the notification updates telling you it installed with an Enable button next to that. Click the enable button and move to next download.
esp's are showing enabled. Looking into the game folders, loose files are installing into the proper folders.
If you can be more specific, I volunteer to try to reproduce it and send a feedback report into the team.
I will continue installing through Vortex and see if I can get an error or something weird to happen. I'll also be able to see if the game looks right when finished.
Dark0ne wrote:
I am somewhat astonished that Vortex has no support for downloading mods from Nexus Mods.

It does. Click the "Handle Nexus Links" button on the dashboard so it says "Yes" (or change this in your settings) and the "Download with manager" button should now use Vortex instead of NMM.
mccauleykevinj wrote: I did that, but for some reason, it still will not handle the links. This means that I have to download the files manually and then attempt to import them. This mostly works, but a few times it has failed even doing it this way. Outside of those two issues, I think Vortex can be huge for the modding community in general as it auto-sorts the mods during install. One possible suggestion is that if the program finds a missing plugin, maybe attempt to link to the webpage for the missing plug in. For example, I got a set of camos for fallout 4, it required Armorsmith Extended. I downloaded the Armorsmith resources, but then realized that I needed another mod. It would be cool if we could have a link to both during that mod install. Also, at this point, I am not blaming Vortex for the issues, because it is entirely possible that some configuration inside of Windows is causing this issue on my specific PC
cortex56 wrote: I finished my install last night and I was too tired to post here.
I finished up with 168 active mods.
I downloaded a fresh copy of each mod from the nexus (Sorry about the bandwidth usage Nexus).
Once I received the notification that the download was complete, I clicked the install button.
Once I received the notification the mod had installed I clicked the enable button in the notification.
There were a few times (Random) that the mod would show enabled, however, the esp Plugin would not.
I sent this report to Tannin's Team, maybe that is a bug, maybe it has something to do with the mod, I don't know. Maybe I did something wrong, always a a threat when I do anything.
Once I installed all the mods I wanted and verified the enabled esp. I went to the Mods tab and looked at all the conflicts.
Clicking the lightning bolt next to the dependencies icon opened a window that showed me which mods were conflicting and I was able to set a rule for each individual conflict.

This used to take me two pieces of software to do and more time.
1. Install through NMM, run LOOT. Verify position as per Author request, re-open LOOT and set the meta data for that new mod to load after xmod in my list.
I am now able to do the same thing with: Click install, click enable, 2 clicks to set a rule.

I have to admit that setting up 168 mods was a time consuming ordeal and a bit cumbersome, mostly because I went slow trying not to make a mistake.
BUT - How many times are you going to have to install 168 different mods and set them up. Also, when you do, once you get used to Vortex, it will be faster.
I did notice, that if I installed a mod that required a master, a notification came that told me I was missing a master. Clicking the notification showed me the Master I was missing.
I like it, it's like having someone smarter than me (not hard to find) watching over my shoulder.

I have to tell you I am sold on Vortex at this point. Love it!

I will note, I installed Vortex on my roommates PC, because my current PC is not compatible with Fallout 4, and Vortex works like a dream. Only concern is that there are times where the load order of the autosort caused the meshes to not show up with the P99 pistol or the P90 rifle. Otherwise, Vortex worked wonderfully.

In response to post #57348091.

rmm200 wrote: I have a bug here I don't know how to resolve.
Zip file: MiasLair_V62B_Full_SE.7z
== Interface
==meshes
==scripts
==SEQ
==sound
==Textures
MiasLair.esp

This file installs correctly on both NMM and MO2.
In Vortex, all that winds up in mods is the contents of meshes/MiasLair. That is just a bunch of NIFs.
These get installed by Vortex in the base Skyrim SE directory; not even under Data.

All other files, including the ESP, are ignored.
I have tried adding an extra name at the top of the structure, and tried adding Data as the top entry. These had no effect.

Any ideas? Things I should try? I do hate interrupting the people casting shade with an actual question. Keep up the good fight!

Could you let me know (ideally via PM) where I can get this mod so I can have a look myself?
From what you wrote it looks like Vortex should install this without a problem.