Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

And it just so happened that my birthday was on the 31st. I was too preoccupied with festivities to acknowledge this post in time, rip. Anyways, I love the initiative you guys are taking with creating this new mod manager with trying to balance out the simplicity of NMM and the advanced functionality of Mod Organizer. I hope it succeeds as well as it sounds and looks. I'm definitely setting a Google Reminder for February 12th so I don't miss out on the release of it.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI

After reading all the comments below, about the loadorder issue. I'll just say this:

I have Dyslexia and number blindness. I even have trouble counting my fingers and toes!

We / I, need a mod Manager that automatically adds all the mods in the right sequence, so that they all work together. with no fuss.

NMM does that. and the best that I've ever used.

Skyrim is my game, and it works brill when using NMM.

I sometimes use Loot. but found I didn't have too.

Vortex sounds good to use. I do hope so.

Edited by soulgamers

In response to post #57357561.

soulgamers wrote: HI
After reading all the comments below, about the loadorder issue. I'll just say this:
I have Dyslexia and number blindness. I even have trouble counting my fingers and toes!

We / I, need a mod Manager that automatically adds all the mods in the right sequence, so that they all work together. with no fuss.

I agree with you soul gamers .... I posted twice in this thread in relation to what you are asking. I am not against learning at all, how to use xedit, LOOT, CK, etc. Matter of fact, I have been able to create some custom mods for my own use in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE ( the only two games I really care about ) and since I learned how to create some custom mods, I have had a lot of fun playing my games, however, I am far away from really know how to resolve conflicts between mods, my point is that a mod organizer like Vortex in this case, should sort and setup our load order automatically to the point that nothing else is needed from out standpoint as players to do, except playing the game.
Vortex also have a lot of advanced features for those who have been dealing or learning during years how to use xEdit or the CK. I do not have years of experience but that is not the point either. Regardless of how much experience we should have, we need a mod program that does that automatically. It does not make sense to have it otherwise.
That is why I suggested to Tannin to have mod authors to include a code inside their mods that Vortex will read and apply to have the correct load order. That code should tell Vortex : place this mod after this and that mods, or place this mod on the top or very bottom of the load order.
This is very possible. I know it because I know a bit of programming. The reason I suggested that is because some mods needs to be manually placed in our load order, like for example : Lanterns of Skyrim, Scrap Everything ( must be placed at the very bottom of Fallout 4 load order ), Flower Girls ( to the very bottom of our load order ), etc, etc. ... but when you have a code written inside those mods that Vortex will read and apply, the placing of those mods in the right load order will be automated. It is possible but I do not know if Tannin will agree to that.
Bottom line is that we should have the choice to either turn on our computers, open Vortex, download / install mods, let Vortex to apply the correct load order and play, so we can focus on playing and not on fixing things that takes time to fix and years to learn how to fix them; on the other side of the coin, Vortex also will let you decide what load order you want to have if you are very knowledgeable to deal with that. The coin must have to faces : automation or not.
At this point of my life and based on my limited knowledge, I do prefer automation for now till I learn more.

There is something else about automation though. If you download two mods that do practically the same ( for example : better vampires and vampires overhaul - just a sample - ), then no matter how good Vortex is on its automation process, there will be a conflict. At that point, Vortex should advise you before continuing, about the conflict about those mods, so you as a player must decide which one to keep and which one to delete from your load order ( and if you decide to keep both, then you will be playing at your own risk ). Everything else should be automatic and all the mods, assuming that they do not conflict with each other, should be placed in the correct load order.

Despite all that, the player must know that even though we have a correct load order setup in our game, that would not mean at all that CTD's will not happen at some point, because CTD's does not happen only because a bad load order but other factors as well. Nevertheless, having a correct load order helps a lot to avoid them and that is why I do agree 100% with you. I do believe that Tannin knows this already and per his answer to me, we will have an automated Vortex. Hopefully, whenever is ready for everybody to be used. Edited by sopmac45

In response to post #57357561. #57358121 is also a reply to the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: I agree with you soul gamers .... I posted twice in this thread in relation to what you are asking. I am not against learning at all, how to use xedit, LOOT, CK, etc. Matter of fact, I have been able to create some custom mods for my own use in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE ( the only two games I really care about ) and since I learned how to create some custom mods, I have had a lot of fun playing my games, however, I am far away from really know how to resolve conflicts between mods, my point is that a mod organizer like Vortex in this case, should sort and setup our load order automatically to the point that nothing else is needed from out standpoint as players to do, except playing the game.
Vortex also have a lot of advanced features for those who have been dealing or learning during years how to use xEdit or the CK. I do not have years of experience but that is not the point either. Regardless of how much experience we should have, we need a mod program that does that automatically. It does not make sense to have it otherwise.
That is why I suggested to Tannin to have mod authors to include a code inside their mods that Vortex will read and apply to have the correct load order. That code should tell Vortex : place this mod after this and that mods, or place this mod on the top or very bottom of the load order.
This is very possible. I know it because I know a bit of programming. The reason I suggested that is because some mods needs to be manually placed in our load order, like for example : Lanterns of Skyrim, Scrap Everything ( must be placed at the very bottom of Fallout 4 load order ), Flower Girls ( to the very bottom of our load order ), etc, etc. ... but when you have a code written inside those mods that Vortex will read and apply, the placing of those mods in the right load order will be automated. It is possible but I do not know if Tannin will agree to that.
Bottom line is that we should have the choice to either turn on our computers, open Vortex, download / install mods, let Vortex to apply the correct load order and play, so we can focus on playing and not on fixing things that takes time to fix and years to learn how to fix them; on the other side of the coin, Vortex also will let you decide what load order you want to have if you are very knowledgeable to deal with that. The coin must have to faces : automation or not.
At this point of my life and based on my limited knowledge, I do prefer automation for now till I learn more.

There is something else about automation though. If you download two mods that do practically the same ( for example : better vampires and vampires overhaul - just a sample - ), then no matter how good Vortex is on its automation process, there will be a conflict. At that point, Vortex should advise you before continuing, about the conflict about those mods, so you as a player must decide which one to keep and which one to delete from your load order ( and if you decide to keep both, then you will be playing at your own risk ). Everything else should be automatic and all the mods, assuming that they do not conflict with each other, should be placed in the correct load order.

Despite all that, the player must know that even though we have a correct load order setup in our game, that would not mean at all that CTD's will not happen at some point, because CTD's does not happen only because a bad load order but other factors as well. Nevertheless, having a correct load order helps a lot to avoid them and that is why I do agree 100% with you. I do believe that Tannin knows this already and per his answer to me, we will have an automated Vortex. Hopefully, whenever is ready for everybody to be used.

LOOT is supposed to be partly what takes care of some of that automatic load order situation. I personally find loot works great on most games, but have had problems in the past with it ruining load order for heavily modded games. For Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3, I run over 100 mods at a time, and you have to be fairly precise with those load orders to keep them all running smooth. Also you have to have the proper patches and all that. What I'm not going to like, is having to keep checking that load order when I play those games and making sure loot doesn't break it, however.... on a standard play of fallout 4, load order is moot for me at this point. Loot doesn't do anything to my load order because there is no conflict that it detects. I'm glad there will be both choices to run vortex, because as NMM is, it chooses the bottom mod to win the conflict (when files ask to be overwritten). I like that but also see where that could potentially break BOTH mods. From what I've read, vortex should work in such a way that won't be happening anymore, which means not loosing functionality on some hud mods just to add an extra change on something the other mod missed. I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to, but I'm extremely excited to have the chance.

In response to post #57357561. #57358121, #57364681 are all replies on the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: I agree with you soul gamers .... I posted twice in this thread in relation to what you are asking. I am not against learning at all, how to use xedit, LOOT, CK, etc. Matter of fact, I have been able to create some custom mods for my own use in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE ( the only two games I really care about ) and since I learned how to create some custom mods, I have had a lot of fun playing my games, however, I am far away from really know how to resolve conflicts between mods, my point is that a mod organizer like Vortex in this case, should sort and setup our load order automatically to the point that nothing else is needed from out standpoint as players to do, except playing the game.

Despite all that, the player must know that even though we have a correct load order setup in our game, that would not mean at all that CTD's will not happen at some point, because CTD's does not happen only because a bad load order but other factors as well. Nevertheless, having a correct load order helps a lot to avoid them and that is why I do agree 100% with you. I do believe that Tannin knows this already and per his answer to me, we will have an automated Vortex. Hopefully, whenever is ready for everybody to be used.
haguerepairguy wrote: LOOT is supposed to be partly what takes care of some of that automatic load order situation. I personally find loot works great on most games, but have had problems in the past with it ruining load order for heavily modded games. For Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3, I run over 100 mods at a time, and you have to be fairly precise with those load orders to keep them all running smooth. Also you have to have the proper patches and all that. What I'm not going to like, is having to keep checking that load order when I play those games and making sure loot doesn't break it, however.... on a standard play of fallout 4, load order is moot for me at this point. Loot doesn't do anything to my load order because there is no conflict that it detects. I'm glad there will be both choices to run vortex, because as NMM is, it chooses the bottom mod to win the conflict (when files ask to be overwritten). I like that but also see where that could potentially break BOTH mods. From what I've read, vortex should work in such a way that won't be happening anymore, which means not loosing functionality on some hud mods just to add an extra change on something the other mod missed. I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to, but I'm extremely excited to have the chance.

Hi sopmac45
:armscrossed:
I have Fallout 4 also. and also in that I use it with hundreds of mods. all installed with NMM and it works OK.
It is only Skyrim that I use to get CTD. " when I installed the mods manually." I then used TES5Edit, to help.
But after I upgraded my PC, with just about everything, I had to start Skyrim all over again. I then used NMM to do the work of adding all the mods in the right order. and skyrim works just fine. without having to judge which mod goes where.
And that is what I hope Vortex will do. so we should have a choice to let Vortex do it automatically, or to let us mess around gussing and judging which mod goes where? :unsure:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi haguerepairguy
guess how many mods that I use. as many as I can!
for just about EVERYTHING.
Skyrim: Total plugins 238. Active plugins 188. Active Mods 164
so I do hope Vortex will helpout with all these plugins. :thumbsup: Edited by soulgamers

In response to post #57357561. #57358121, #57364681, #57365211 are all replies on the same post.

haguerepairguy wrote: LOOT is supposed to be partly what takes care of some of that automatic load order situation. I personally find loot works great on most games, but have had problems in the past with it ruining load order for heavily modded games. For Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3, I run over 100 mods at a time, and you have to be fairly precise with those load orders to keep them all running smooth. Also you have to have the proper patches and all that. What I'm not going to like, is having to keep checking that load order when I play those games and making sure loot doesn't break it, however.... on a standard play of fallout 4, load order is moot for me at this point. Loot doesn't do anything to my load order because there is no conflict that it detects. I'm glad there will be both choices to run vortex, because as NMM is, it chooses the bottom mod to win the conflict (when files ask to be overwritten). I like that but also see where that could potentially break BOTH mods. From what I've read, vortex should work in such a way that won't be happening anymore, which means not loosing functionality on some hud mods just to add an extra change on something the other mod missed. I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to, but I'm extremely excited to have the chance.
soulgamers wrote: Hi sopmac45
I have Fallout 4 also. and also in that I use it with hundreds of mods. all installed with NMM and it works OK.
It is only Skyrim that I use to get CTD. " when I installed the mods manually." I then used TES5Edit, to help.
But after I upgraded my PC, with just about everything, I had to start Skyrim all over again. I then used NMM to do the work of adding all the mods in the right order. and skyrim works just fine. without having to judge which mod goes where.
And that is what I hope Vortex will do. so we should have a choice to let Vortex do it automatically, or to let us mess around gussing and judging which mod goes where? :unsure:
hi haguerepairguy
so I do hope Vortex will helpout with all these plugins. :thumbsup:

Lol, it's supposed to allow us to manually move the load order and stuff as well as be able to do it automatically. I have no doubt that'll take time for the team to perfect, but I think it's going to be amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

In response to post #57357561. #57358121, #57364681, #57365211, #57370926 are all replies on the same post.

soulgamers wrote: Hi sopmac45
hi haguerepairguy
so I do hope Vortex will helpout with all these plugins. :thumbsup:
haguerepairguy wrote: Lol, it's supposed to allow us to manually move the load order and stuff as well as be able to do it automatically. I have no doubt that'll take time for the team to perfect, but I think it's going to be amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I have not had any CTD in my Fallout 4 and I am playing with about 75 mods; regarding Skyrim, I am playing now with 88 mods but on my just previous play through, I had problems with Open Cities and Verdant. I deleted both of them. Open Cities is a mod that I will never download again. It just allow you to open the doors of Solitude, Whiterun, Markarth and Windhelm but this mod requires a lot of patches like Realistic Water Two which I prefer by all means to have in my load order and regarding Verdant, it did caused some CTD's.
Basically, my point is that we need to be careful on what mods to install in our games by reading what the mod author recommend regarding load order and compatibilities but at the same time, I am happy to know that Vortex will allow us to automate everything if we want to so we can focus on playing our games without any fuss.
When we enter to a car dealership, we as customers, have the choice to either go with a manual or automatic transmission vehicle. That is the same principle we must have with Vortex. If somebody wants to do everything manually and tweak here and there, go for it but if I just want to seat on my chair, shift my gear to D and enjoy my driving ( gaming ), that also would be nice. That is my whole point and I am happy, again, that Vortex will offer both choices and when in automatic mode, it will do a much better job than NMM and MO.

In response to post #57376021.

SnakeEyes111 wrote: After uninstalling Vortex, Nexus Mod Manager wont download from the website. I have to manually install all my mods now

This isn't a bug, and there's nothing they can do to fix it on their end. Because you installed Vortex, Nexus Mod Manager is no longer set up to handle NXM download links. You need to change those settings back to what they were yourself.

In response to post #57376021. #57377796 is also a reply to the same post.

SnakeEyes111 wrote: After uninstalling Vortex, Nexus Mod Manager wont download from the website. I have to manually install all my mods now
Didaskos wrote: This isn't a bug, and there's nothing they can do to fix it on their end. Because you installed Vortex, Nexus Mod Manager is no longer set up to handle NXM download links. You need to change those settings back to what they were yourself.

Wait, did you uninstall NMM itself because you were trying Vortex, or NMM just won't handle the links?

I had no problem switching back and forth between the two. For Firefox, I just had to clear history for the browser (all of it), then reopened it and it allowed me to work that way. Then for Chrome, there's an option in NMM's settings that allows you to fix how it handles the download links (requires admin privileges and the browser closed). Worked on my end as I'm not fully committing to Vortex just yet, but can still still switch between the way either handles links without a problem....