⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

So, I haven't tried the program at all. But, I've been reading a few comments. An idea came to me:

What if, when you attempted to drag a mod down the list, it brought up a dialog for a new rule for that mod? Would that solve the arguments?

I'm not sure how new rules are made for the order. Is it similar to how LOOT does it? Or did it. I'm not sure now, but at one point I remember being able to define rules to make sure one mod appeared before/after another. So, I assume it's similar?

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's easy to make rules like that, to reorder the list. But, what I'm suggesting is, if you attempt to pull a mod into a new position, it'll bring up a rule dialog with a best-guest rule for what you're attempting. But, it'll be editable. So, if it's wrong, and it's not actually before x, but rather after y, then you can just alter it and click save and that's it.

Or is it already this easy to define rules? I haven't tried the program at all. So I don't know. But, this is just what came to me as I was wondering where all the negative comments are coming from. Perhaps when it gets a wider audience, more and more voice to one side or the other might come out. Who knows. I was looking forward to using Vortex to get back into playing Skyrim again. It's been a while since I even bothered with mods. I wanted to start afresh with it all. I do hope Vortex is pretty nifty.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57479281.

tryguy wrote: So, I haven't tried the program at all. But, I've been reading a few comments. An idea came to me:

What if, when you attempted to drag a mod down the list, it brought up a dialog for a new rule for that mod? Would that solve the arguments?

I'm not sure how new rules are made for the order. Is it similar to how LOOT does it? Or did it. I'm not sure now, but at one point I remember being able to define rules to make sure one mod appeared before/after another. So, I assume it's similar?

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's easy to make rules like that, to reorder the list. But, what I'm suggesting is, if you attempt to pull a mod into a new position, it'll bring up a rule dialog with a best-guest rule for what you're attempting. But, it'll be editable. So, if it's wrong, and it's not actually before x, but rather after y, then you can just alter it and click save and that's it.

Or is it already this easy to define rules? I haven't tried the program at all. So I don't know. But, this is just what came to me as I was wondering where all the negative comments are coming from. Perhaps when it gets a wider audience, more and more voice to one side or the other might come out. Who knows. I was looking forward to using Vortex to get back into playing Skyrim again. It's been a while since I even bothered with mods. I wanted to start afresh with it all. I do hope Vortex is pretty nifty.

You actually can already set rules by dragging one mod to another. It is the same as LOOT. It's just integrated into vortex.

In response to post #57477396.

mccauleykevinj wrote: I am primarily using Vortex to manage Skyrim (Legendary Edition, not Special Edition). For some reason, Vortex wants to put Alternate Start: Live another Life up top. This causes the game to crash to the desktop. I have had to resort to turning off auto sort for Skyrim and using Loot. Just thought someone would like to know.

Click on send feedback in the upper right corner of vortex and submit this there.

In response to post #57479281. #57479986 is also a reply to the same post.

tryguy wrote: So, I haven't tried the program at all. But, I've been reading a few comments. An idea came to me:

Lazybob1 wrote: You actually can already set rules by dragging one mod to another. It is the same as LOOT. It's just integrated into vortex.

It is just a different way to do it and it has been tested already by some and they are happy with the new way. The problem is that we have the tendency to stick to old rules rather than to learn new ones. Dragging and drop a plugin in load order, I admit, is very easy and simple, but it does not resolve conflicts at all and the program developer already explained in details why not and why he decided to go with a different approach.
I also have not tried Vortex but I know that once I watch Gopher's video tutorial, I will be able to understand it and deal with it.

In response to post #57423931. #57472931 is also a reply to the same post.

vogues wrote: release alpha for premium members?

worth a shot lol..
squaresphere wrote: ...but why? Just wait for the public release. They're trying to get it together and push it out in a few days, anyways.

Sure, it was worth a shot (and you may have just been s**tposting to just be s**tposting) ..... but I've actually come across people insisting this should've been released to us or that we should've had first claims. This mentality is kinda' silly. I may throw a few bucks their way for the month, but it doesn't make me someone more important with higher valued opinions over a basic/free user when it comes to testing out a new mod manager that all types of accounts will be using in the end anwyays. Someone with a basic free account can easily give equal -- or even better -- input/feedback about Vortex in comparison to those of us with a premium account, and let's not kid ourselves, the little green text doesn't indicate whether we're more knowledgeable or experienced when it comes to these things.

The way it was handled gave everyone an equal chance. If you missed it, oh well ... just wait it out.

Your right, it doesn't make your input from testing any less valid, but having access to stuff early is one of the perks of premium and one of the main selling point

@Arthmoor Ditto.

I'm just seeing a dev that wants to die on the hill for an argument that is clearly logically flawed. Nothing precludes a rule-based system from having manual control. It's like saying I can't change my load order in NMM after sorting with LOOT after it reads user meta data. Absolutely crazy logic.

Using pure dependency rules takes more clicks, more time, more headaches... for less control. Indefensible for a programmer.

Having been a programmer for 30 plus years, 40 if you count high school and the hobbyist years before I turned "pro", it's highly defensible. For the vast majority of users, who just want their game to work, the system I've seen described here, and demonstrated in several videos now, will tend to result in a more stable game experience for that majority of users. As a programmer, that's going to be one of my first goals. Adding bells and whistles later is farther down the list. Maybe much farther, depending on how many users and how difficult they are to implement.

However, you're right that nothing precludes a rule based system from having manual control, and from what I've seen, Vortex does, in fact, allow manual control. I mean, isn't that what manually setting the dependencies is, i.e. manual control of the rules system?

As for "more clicks, more time," I guess so. Once. Then the rule is set and you move on. Most users aren't going to need to do very much more than LOOT does, even for a moderately large mod list. And then not for long, as someone who's more civically minded than others will see that LOOT's master list is updated.

/bs

So far, from what I've seen described here and in videos, I think I'm gonna like Vortex. Possibly not quite as much as MO, but definitely more than NMM. We shall see.

I do have some questions that I haven't seen addressed so far. Not claiming they haven't been, but I've read most of this thread and don't recall them. It's possible that I will find these answers when I start using it, but I'm throwing them out anyway just in case there are nuances that a simple review of the features doesn't reveal.

1. If I set up a dependency between two mods, will that dependency be respected in all of my profiles, or will I need to set it up in every profile in which the affected mods appear? If the former, the next question is moot, but if the latter, when I set up a dependency between three different mods in one profile, and only two of those mods appear in another profile, will that portion of the dependency be applied?
  2. You've chosen "Clone" as the terminology for creating a new profile from an existing one, so I assume that choice is deliberate, i.e. that Vortex makes a completely separate copy of the source profile and renames it, and that changes I make to the original will not be reflected in the copy. Are there any plans to implement some kind of inheritance between profiles such that changes made to the base will be reflected in the children? For instance, say I have a base profile for Fallout 4 that includes all of the DLC, and several child profiles that add different things for different play styles. Then Bethesda releases another DLC. Will there ever be a way to add that to the base profile and then have it automatically show up in all of the children of that profile?
  3. I think I've seen Tannin state that the Vortex UI "themes" are CSS based. Will there be an editor, or do I need to break out Eric Meyer's books again and review my CSS. :cool:

/bs

In response to post #57501136.

sopmac45 wrote: I thought Vortex will be out today. Still waiting.

To give us a bit more time to polish things up (more on the web side than the application side) we're aiming for a full unlimited alpha release of Vortex on the week starting the 12th of February.

The news post says sometime in the coming week. And it's still Sunday the 11th in most places in the world, including where we are in the UK.

In response to post #57501136.

sopmac45 wrote: I thought Vortex will be out today. Still waiting.

To give us a bit more time to polish things up (more on the web side than the application side) we're aiming for a full unlimited alpha release of Vortex on the week starting the 12th of February.

The news post says sometime in the coming week. And it's still Sunday the 11th in most places in the world, including where we are in the UK.

Plus, to a dev team, "sometime during the week of the 12th", means they have until the 18th at 23:59 before that deliverable is "late". :laugh: