Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

In response to post #57501136. #57501676 is also a reply to the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: I thought Vortex will be out today. Still waiting.
Dark0ne wrote:
To give us a bit more time to polish things up (more on the web side than the application side) we're aiming for a full unlimited alpha release of Vortex on the week starting the 12th of February.

The news post says sometime in the coming week. And it's still Sunday the 11th in most places in the world, including where we are in the UK.

My bad. It is ok and thanks so much Dark0ne.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57488431.

BeowulfSchmidt wrote:

So far, from what I've seen described here and in videos, I think I'm gonna like Vortex. Possibly not quite as much as MO, but definitely more than NMM. We shall see.

I do have some questions that I haven't seen addressed so far. Not claiming they haven't been, but I've read most of this thread and don't recall them. It's possible that I will find these answers when I start using it, but I'm throwing them out anyway just in case there are nuances that a simple review of the features doesn't reveal.

1. If I set up a dependency between two mods, will that dependency be respected in all of my profiles, or will I need to set it up in every profile in which the affected mods appear? If the former, the next question is moot, but if the latter, when I set up a dependency between three different mods in one profile, and only two of those mods appear in another profile, will that portion of the dependency be applied?
  2. You've chosen "Clone" as the terminology for creating a new profile from an existing one, so I assume that choice is deliberate, i.e. that Vortex makes a completely separate copy of the source profile and renames it, and that changes I make to the original will not be reflected in the copy. Are there any plans to implement some kind of inheritance between profiles such that changes made to the base will be reflected in the children? For instance, say I have a base profile for Fallout 4 that includes all of the DLC, and several child profiles that add different things for different play styles. Then Bethesda releases another DLC. Will there ever be a way to add that to the base profile and then have it automatically show up in all of the children of that profile?
  3. I think I've seen Tannin state that the Vortex UI "themes" are CSS based. Will there be an editor, or do I need to break out Eric Meyer's books again and review my CSS. :cool:

/bs

1) Yes, All rules will be applied to any profile where they are relevant. We've thought about adding an option to store the rule with the profile, so you can have different mod orders in different profiles but this is not yet implemented and I imagine it will be a bit of a hassle to visualize it.

2) Yes, after the clone you have two completely separate profiles. Again, I have considered inheritance like you suggested but it would be very hard to visualize and thus error prone. I.e. you could accidentally enable inheritance or forget you did and then get confused why changes are applied to multiple profiles. Worst case scenario you even lose data.

3) There _is_ a simple editor in settings. When you clone a profile you can change some stuff like colors and font right there in the vortex ui.
For more interesting changes you need to edit css manually though.

In response to post #57464886. #57468696, #57472621 are all replies on the same post.

oblivionfan52 wrote: I have two simple questions and a request. I had a third question but it got lost in the cobwebs of age.

1. When Vortex is available for download will I be able to install it, but keep NMM managing my downloads from the Nexus for SkyrimSE? I would prefer downloading manually for Vortex until I'm comfortable with it.

2. Will we be able to see mods loaded in our save games in Vortex like it's possible in MO? One of the best little features of MO in my opinion.

My request is, I would like to see more feedback on how well the profiles are working in Vortex, the other feature of MO that I really like.

I'm looking forward to giving Vortex a try and from what I've read so far it looks like it will work for me once I've gotten used to it. I'm not a power user so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the hard work on Vortex, whether i use it or run screaming back to NMM. Not likely I think.

My apologies if these questions have been answered and I missed them but I have read through the comments.

Lazybob1 wrote: 1. It wont handle nexus downloads unless you allow it so you should be fine.

2. Yes you can. I also see it has an option to "Restore save game's plugins" though I haven't tested that.
oblivionfan52 wrote: Thanks for the answers Lazybob1.

re 1: Yes, Vortex doesn't automatically associate with the links, so you can continue using NMM for the links. There is another option: you could get MO and use that to handle download links. Then you can use the nxmhandler.exe included with MO to set up file associations by game. This way you could use NMM for skyrimse downloads and Vortex for, say, Fallout 4 downloads. It's a bit of setup involved but it should work.

re 2: Yes

I really like idea behind Vortex, but I have 2 really important for me question about its functionality.

1) Did we can manually edit database where all dependency keep storing (or at least is it enough to backup %appdata% Vortex folder to save all rules and settings for security reason)?

2) Install Order mods (not plugins) is really important, because in such manner we can figure overwrite for each mod (e.g. retextures) like in left pane of MO, but it's seems to be little broken right now. Because after restarting mod manager digit from install order column disappear and entire "Install Order" column not sorting mods. I already sent feedback, but I still thinking that problem is just on my sight.

In response to post #57511666.

Flarisande wrote:

I really like idea behind Vortex, but I have 2 really important for me question about its functionality.

1) Did we can manually edit database where all dependency keep storing (or at least is it enough to backup %appdata% Vortex folder to save all rules and settings for security reason)?

2) Install Order mods (not plugins) is really important, because in such manner we can figure overwrite for each mod (e.g. retextures) like in left pane of MO, but it's seems to be little broken right now. Because after restarting mod manager digit from install order column disappear and entire "Install Order" column not sorting mods. I already sent feedback, but I still thinking that problem is just on my sight.

1) There are two databases where dependency data can come from, it's a bit complicated: There is "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\vortex\metadb" which connects dependency rules (and other meta info about a mod) to a mod archive as it exists on nexusmods. The db you have on disk is mostly intended as a cache of the info from the server but you can also edit this info in downloads -> actions -> view meta data.
The second "database" is rules directly associated with the installed mods in your setup. These are the rules you set up via drag&drop on the mods page. They are in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\vortex\state.v2" together with everything else you configured/set up inside vortex.
At this time there is no way to export/import these rules.

2) The install order column is just a preview and apparently it doesn't reliably update atm. But your ordering rules _will_ be applied during deployment, independent of whether the install order column showed anything or not.

@ Tannin ... hi tannin ... got a question, have two drives, C: and E:; my C: drive is SSD and my E: is a regular hard drive. Currently my FO4 and my Skyrim are loaded ( game and mods ) in my C: which is much faster to play / access my games / mods. If I decide to keep on my C: drive Vortex and in my E:, my games / mods, will that decrease the access / speed on my games / mods ? Don't know how Vortex handles data accessing. Thanks for your answer. :)

In response to post #57512891.

sopmac45 wrote: @ Tannin ... hi tannin ... got a question, have two drives, C: and E:; my C: drive is SSD and my E: is a regular hard drive. Currently my FO4 and my Skyrim are loaded ( game and mods ) in my C: which is much faster to play / access my games / mods. If I decide to keep on my C: drive Vortex and in my E:, my games / mods, will that decrease the access / speed on my games / mods ? Don't know how Vortex handles data accessing. Thanks for your answer. :)

Unfortunately you can't place the mods on a different drive than the game.
Due to how the engine works we have to use hard links for the bethesda games and with those, the link can't be on a different drive than the "original" file.

In response to post #57511666.

Flarisande wrote:

1) There are two databases where dependency data can come from, it's a bit complicated: There is "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\vortex\metadb" which connects dependency rules (and other meta info about a mod) to a mod archive as it exists on nexusmods. The db you have on disk is mostly intended as a cache of the info from the server but you can also edit this info in downloads -> actions -> view meta data.

The second "database" is rules directly associated with the installed mods in your setup. These are the rules you set up via drag&drop on the mods page. They are in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\vortex\state.v2" together with everything else you configured/set up inside vortex.

At this time there is no way to export/import these rules.

2) The install order column is just a preview and apparently it doesn't reliably update atm. But your ordering rules _will_ be applied during deployment, independent of whether the install order column showed anything or not.

Many thanks!

In response to post #57501136.

sopmac45 wrote: I thought Vortex will be out today. Still waiting.

To give us a bit more time to polish things up (more on the web side than the application side) we're aiming for a full unlimited alpha release of Vortex on the week starting the 12th of February.

The news post says sometime in the coming week. And it's still Sunday the 11th in most places in the world, including where we are in the UK.

damn misread T.T

I live in America and i have been really looking forward to useing vortex, NMM likes to not install or even correctly download mods, i constantly have to switch to FOMM and OBMM.

Do you have a estimated time it will be released over here today? Im more excited then a grown man needs to be over a mod manager haha.

Edited by avgnfan7800